Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does an attic conversion cost in a 4-bed semi-detached house?

Options
  • 09-08-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I want to make an offer on a house. I saw a similar house on the property price register but I know that house had the attic converted to a bedroom with a jacuzzi installed in the corner.

The house I'm looking at has no attic conversion so I'm just trying to work out how much I should offer

How much value does the conversion add - or how much does it cost to do

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Was the other house's attic conversion classed as habitable space or was it just converted and being used unofficially as a bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eibhlin2011

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Was the other house's attic conversion classed as habitable space or was it just converted and being used unofficially as a bedroom?

Don't know the details unfortunately - only saw the pictures on Daft. That would probably make a big difference. There was windows put into the roof. If it was properly converted for living space would that be worth much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT would need to be at least a certain size,and height, to be listed as a bedroom, for the purposes of selling, advertising the house.
    look at houses in the area, 3 vs 4 bedrooms , of that size, whats the difference in price?
    There,s certain legal specs, rules to qualify as a bedroom,
    in terms of height , room size.
    AND theres building regs to follow too.
    otherwise its considered just as extra storage ,space in the house.
    is the house listed on daft as 3 , or 4 bed house?
    post the link to th attic ,house here.
    in dublin,on average ,there,s usually 20-30k difference for an extra bedroom. at least.
    ie 3 vs 4 bed house.

or 2 bed house is usually 20-30k cheaper than a 3bed on the northside of dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

The big issue with extensions is how well they are done. Some are very well done, architect designed with proper planning permission, obtained, all regulations complied with, good materials used and a high standard of workmanship. Other extensions are extremely poorly done, DIY jobs with cheap materials and poor workmanship and not complying with any standards.
    Some bad extensions can actually take from the value of a house. Some good ones can add more that the extension cost depending on location.

The key factor in the value of any house is location. No matter what has been added on, the site and the address is still the same. The house will almost never be worth more than the houses on nearby better regarded roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

If this makes it a 3-storey house, then you will need to do fire safety works to the stairs, in particular upgrade all the doors to fire doors and fit door closers.

You don't say how big such a room might be or what work is wanted or needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Depending in use, layout, size, steel and spec of finish it will cost anything from €14k up

Advertisement