Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Ranges

Options
  • 09-08-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is their any where i can rent out a rifle at a range and bring one of the lads,Courtlough is too far away need somewhere a bit closer around Laois/Kilkenny,
    Would consider Clay Shooting but need to be able to rent a gun also :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Harbour house might be closer to you it's just the far side of atoy.

I don't know if you can rent rifles but you could always ask I suppose. Plenty of clays down there though. Sound bunch to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Hilltop in Wicklow and Harbour House in Kildare are your closest walk in ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Ye ill ask.Ive the licence for the .22 air rifle so i can legally but a box of 22lr ammunition just need a gun!With the clays do you have to have your own shotgun?

1shot16 wrote: »
    Ye ill ask.Ive the licence for the .22 air rifle so i can legally but a box of 22lr ammunition just need a gun!With the clays do you have to have your own shotgun?

No you can't..the licence says '.22 inches' but you can only have .22 pellets not cartridge ammo such as a .22lr. If you were caught with .22lr and your licence was for a .22 air rifle you'll lose your licence.

Yeah but i though since the gun was legally a .22 i can buy any ammo so long as its in .22?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Blay said the license only covers you for your rifle/caliber. Not being a smart arse but a swift is also .22inches but it doesn't mean you can go for it too. Only what you put down on your FCA1. If that was air rifle then all you can buy is pellets.
    With the clays do you have to have your own shotgun?
    Depends on the range.

The rules surrounding shotguns/clays are much looser as clay shooting does not fall under the category of target shooting like rifles or pistols.

Ring each range before traveling.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Yeah but i though since the gun was legally a .22 i can buy any ammo so long as its in .22?

No..sure what would be the point, you haven't got a rifle to fire it out of. You can only have what you're licenced for, shotgun licences don't mention what gauge you're gun is but that doesn't mean you can have ammo of every gauge..only what you applied for.

Cass wrote: »
    As Blay said the license only covers you for your rifle/caliber. Not being a smart arse but a swift is also .22inches but it doesn't mean you can go for it too. Only what you put down on your FCA1. If that was air rifle then all you can buy is pellets.

Ring each range before traveling.

Well yed know better than me.. id say its possible to buy 22lr ammo.

Will ring around
    Blay wrote: »
    No..sure what would be the point, you haven't got a rifle to fire it out of.

25 rifle shots is 20 euro in Courtlough is a bit expensive im sayin if i could get a lend of 22lr at the range i could buy a box of 500 rounds for the two of us.Better than paying 300 in Courtlough aint it.

25 rifle shots is 20 euro in Courtlough is a bit expensive im sayin if i could get a lend of 22lr at the range i could buy a box of 500 rounds for the two of us.Better than paying 300 in Courtlough aint it.

Well yeah..if you wanted to break the law and possess ammunition without a licence. You can't bring your own ammo to Courtlough anyway so the plan is flawed.

Blay wrote: »
    Well yeah..if you wanted to break the law and possess ammunition without a licence. You can't bring your own ammo to Courtlough anyway so the plan is flawed.

I was planning on bringin it to Harbour House or somewhere near get the ammo and get a lend of a rifle.Thought it could work since i had a .22 licence and i though a .22 was a feckin .22 like the FO and Super said :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter if i cant ...not payin that amount wha a scam tbh id get a 22lr for that its not like 300 rounds is that expensive :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Will ring around

Seriously mate... take the advice you have been given, the lads here have only ever pointed you in the right direction and this is no exception.

This is not a road you want to go down.

bravestar wrote: »
    Seriously mate... take the advice you have been given, the lads here have only ever pointed you in the right direction and this is no exception.

This is not a road you want to go down.

Ye i know leave it so.

It wasn't a stupid question as i had a .22 licence so i could of bought ammo just not legally.Thanks again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Ye i know leave it so.

It wasn't a stupid question as i had a .22 licence so i could of bought ammo just not legally.Thanks again lads.

There are no stupid questions man, good on you for asking and not just chancing your arm.

May add a 22lr to the list of guns i need!Firstly i need a Shotgun.

I was thinking of getting a 17hmr after that as i wanted a long range gun i see one of the lads has a marlin semi auto .22lr for 150 in portlaoise rod and gun thats not bad and would do me.

Hmm i dont think the super would let just after gettin the .22 air rifle would he?And then membership also wont be cheap.

Wanting 3 or 4 guns at the moment this is too addictive :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Just to add something there.

When you go into a dealer to buy ammo they will ask you for your license to out on the system.

It would also be illegal for them to sell it to you with out the proper license. I don't think you will change there rules with your beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Will ring around

If you want to buy .22lr ammo then buy a .22lr and get a license ! Dont be acting the micky ! You have a license for an air rifle and can buy pellets. It only takes 1 case of a young lad walking in and trying to buy ammo for a gun he has no license for and then the spotlight is on all of us. Try explaining that one when your sitting in a garda station when hes asking why your buying .22lr ammo when you only have an air rifle !

Either stick to the laws lad or find a different sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

We talk an awful lot of random, and sometimes non important things, but topics such as this only highlight the importance and need for such forums. Better they ask here and get educated than go out, make the mistake and risk loosing their guns.

To the OP. As mentioned above a .22 covers a large amount of ammo. It's the chambering that differentiates them. So a .22lr bullet, .220 swift, .223, etc are all the same diameter (5.7mm), but it's the length of the bullet, and the casing that makes them different. SO other than no being able to buy the ammo you could not use it even if you could buy it.
    Hmm i dont think the super would let just after gettin the .22 air rifle would he?And then membership also wont be cheap.
    There is no legal limit on the amount of guns you can have or the frequency with which you buy them. If you want a ,22lr go for it. If you want my opinion get rid of the air rifle, trade it against a .22lr and go for it.

The reason i advise trading is you may find no need for the .22 air rifle once you get the rimfire. However once you can prove good reason you can go for the .22lr and maybe even keep the air rifle. Up to you and your Super.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    There is no legal limit on the amount of guns you can have or the frequency with which you buy them. If you want a ,22lr go for it. If you want my opinion get rid of the air rifle, trade it against a .22lr and go for it.

The reason i advise trading is you may find no need for the .22 air rifle once you get the rimfire. However once you can prove good reason you can go for the .22lr and maybe even keep the air rifle. Up to you and your Super.

I know the thing is i want to keep the air rifle.Id say i wouldn't get alot of use out of a 22lr if i buy one for the range maybe a few times a year at the most.If there wasnt a 80 licence id consider getting one but not at this moment in time as it would be 8 or 9 years till ill be out of college and workin myself and then it will have cost me 240 euro on the licences alone for the one gun which is alot of money just to go the the range and then membership.

Im going to america next year so ill be hopefully shooting guns there.

Advertisement