Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aga t+ opinions

Options
  • 09-08-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Alright folks im in need of some experienced opinions here.

I want to buy an aga and try me hand at RBAs but i want to know what benefits i will see over my current setup.
    Im using a protank and twists at 2.2ish ohms and 12mg liquid. Im not overly fond of the airy draw but its enough to satisfy so im happy with that.i do like clouds of vapour though but for the meantime im on budget juice,hansgen ry4

So id like to know mesh or silica,what size mesh,how long roughly do mesh wicks last(id be a heavyish vaper) and are twists ok to use with the aga t+

Ive read a thread here from back in feburary about building mesh cols and hotspots but im not worried about that,im ok with stuff like that,so basically opinions on the aga t+ Vs the protank.
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Owned both, RSST is better, get that (unless you're looking for a glass tube?).

What you should use in order of getting better...ness(?)...better...itude(?). Anyway:

#400 < #500 < SS Rope w/whatever mesh you wrap around the top.

If using mesh on it's own, cut it 45mm x 70mm and roll it so it'll be 45mm tall.

If using rope, cut the rope (love that game) 45mm tall and cut a slice of mesh about 10mm x 10mm, roll that around the top of the mesh.

Mesh wicks last months and months if you rinse and dry-burn every once in a while, mesh rope will last... years/decades/forever? Maybe.

Twist? If you're sure the build has no shorts, sure, otherwise you've got frontrunner for a dead battery on your hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you're happy enough to use silica don't look any further than the Dream tank.

Piece of piss to rebuild,dirt cheap and performs just as well as a Kayfun.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

ok ive checked out both reccomendations(thanks guys) and i think the RSST would be my choice purely because i wanna try something other than silica.a couple of questions tho...

would it be best to buy a mod aswell,and i suppose that means new batts and chargers ye?, and also how much juice does the RSST hold.the dream tank wouldnt last me pissin time from what ive seen on the tube. and if using a meter how does one check the ohms on these RSSTs and how does a meter show up shorts?

ive watched a building tutorial for the RSST and the chap doesnt oxidise the mesh with a torch but instead does a few dry burns and says this will suffice,ye/no?... but the dude seems to know what hes talking about it was a good tutorial.

so my first order should be the RSST and 500mesh and go from there.i have the kanthal

oh yeah,can the mesh wick touch the bottom of the tank? ive seen some vids that say no

glicster wrote: »
    would it be best to buy a mod aswell,and i suppose that means new batts and chargers ye?
    If you want the best from it and/or want it to look and feel natural.
    how much juice does the RSST hold?
    Smok say 4ml but by my vape-rate it seems like 3ml or a dash less.
    if using a meter how does one check the ohms on these RSSTs and how does a meter show up shorts?
    First you set the multimeter to the 200Ω or less setting.
    Then you push the leads together to measure the resistance of the leads... remember this number.
    Then you'd hold/attach one lead to the positive post and the other to the negative. If there's a hard short the numbers will either be all zeros or all nines depending on brand, if it's a small short (I say "small" but it's still dangerous) the numbers will jump around, up and down, up and down. It has to stay stable.
    If/when it stays stable subtract the lead's resistance you got earlier - this is your true resistance.
    I use a broken old Lavatube as my multimeter - very accurate and even though it doesn't fire low-ohms (or anything else for that matter) it still measures them perfectly.
    ive watched a building tutorial for the RSST and the chap doesn't oxidise the mesh with a torch but instead does a few dry burns and says this will suffice,ye/no?... but the dude seems to know what hes talking about it was a good tutorial.
    Was it the pulse method? You have to use a mech mod because the build is hard-shorted by default and most/all VV mods won't pulse a coil that's measuring at nothing. You tap the button and the wire heats incredibly quickly onto the wick, creating a carbon layer between them until the entire coil glows evenly.
    With the pulse method using a multimeter is pointless beforehand (because it's nothing or virtually nothing), use the multimeter after doing this. Even if the coil looks perfect and glow-y at the end of pulsing check with the multimeter to see for any wild jumping.
    DO NOT pulse for a second at a time at the start!!! Tappa-tappa-tappa!
    The battery will be putting out much more than it can handle, so if you decide to use an 18350 rated for 6A and you draw 40A from it for a second or two, you're gonna have a very bad time (although your wire would probably snap ).
    I'd use an 18650 to be safer (and I just prefer them).
    oh yeah,can the mesh wick touch the bottom of the tank? ive seen some vids that say no
    The RSST has a plastic-bottomed tank, no such problems with this. Also has an insulated wick-hole... Godsend for a quick genesis build.

Rsst and 500 mesh and a flame torch on the way.i wont be able to wait untill i get a mod to give this a go so on my twists what should i look out for so i dont ruin things.ta

• Advertisement

Make sure you have a multimeter and make sure the figure stays still.

And don't make a coil under 1.5ohms

grindle wrote: »

Spot on grindle thanks for the help.when i get it going ill post up here and let you know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Grindle,

I got my AGA-T2 last week, ok I have built 2 coils around my mesh and on the test the coil sparked and broke

I also have my multimeter but how to I check the ohms, in what part of the process to you do and how do you do it? I know I can check the resistance on my SVD but for arguments sake

BTW as an input to the thread.... I am well pleased with the AGA-T2 looks wise, very nicely finished, nice weight and looks **** hot on my SVD

P.S.

OP Tommy Varden online are selling chefs blowtorches for fairly cheap, bought one last week for 30quid with next day courier too, savage little yoke, the wire mesh didnt stand a chance :P

Ok my stuff arrived this morn and i had a quick crack at it on my lunch break so now some questions...

You sure you got your wick height right grindle? @45mm its waay to high the cap wouldnt of fit,i cut it to 35mm.

The kanthal i have is 15&20.it didnt seem to glow as much as vids ive watched but i think theyve used 32gauge,is this the reason and would i be better off getting some 32?

The positive post has a spring loaded washer so i just tuck the wire under this ye?

Is it ok to keep trying new coils on the exsisting ss mesh wick till i get it right and how do you know when it oxidised properly and finally, how do i work out the hotspots.

Ohh one more thing,the base that you build everything on gets warm when fireing so i presume this is to be expected?

Phew...
    Thanks in advance

edit... My coil came in at 1.7ohm with .20kanthal

edit2... Just home and have it cooking but the throat hit is very harsh 12mg juice 2.1coil 3.4v. Should this be right or does it need more oxidising? Or is it i need getting used to mesh coils?

• Advertisement

Just made this :)

3.6 coil :) firing nicely and great vapour production :) aga-t2 I was talkin about btw

Liqua 18mg chocolate how are you fixed my old friend :)

Whoopsies that's my dripper WRONG PICS ALTOGETHER

ok this is all sorted.my coil is working perfect, i adjusted the air hole and my drawing method and all is well. taste is waay different than my protank and nic intake is much stronger but ill get used to it.
    so id say it was a piece of piss to rebuild. got it right at my second attempt so im happy with that and it didnt take too long either

You've prob got most of these worked out, but...
    You sure you got your wick height right grindle? @45mm its waay to high the cap wouldnt of fit,i cut it to 35mm.
    Could've been wrong, didn't have the atty beside me to measure, may have been thinking along the lines of the AGA.
    The kanthal i have is 15&20.it didnt seem to glow as much as vids ive watched but i think theyve used 32gauge,is this the reason and would i be better off getting some 32?
    Those coils with thicker wire are usually LR builds so you'd expect them to glow more. The saturation in a video can make it more pronounced.
    The positive post has a spring loaded washer so i just tuck the wire under this ye?
    Yep, but you know that now!
    Is it ok to keep trying new coils on the exsisting ss mesh wick till i get it right
    Yep, you prob know this now as well.
    how do you know when it oxidised properly and finally, how do i work out the hotspots.
    When it works and the coil lights evenly from the centre out.
    Working out hotspots requires nudging of coils.
    Ohh one more thing,the base that you build everything on gets warm when fireing so i presume this is to be expected?
    Not TOO hot. It would get very hot if there was a short.
    edit2... Just home and have it cooking but the throat hit is very harsh 12mg juice 2.1coil 3.4v. Should this be right or does it need more oxidising? Or is it i need getting used to mesh coils?
    If the taste is good and it's just an added massive TH, then it's probably the effect of a fresh mesh coil. TH is ridiculous on fresh mesh. Even more bananas with ribbon Kanthal (dual-coiled, 24mg... Holy shít... It hurts...)
    OR... Just in case... Have you made sure the airhole is in front of your coil? This would cause huge TH.

thanks grindle as youve said ive worked most of it out. i did have the air hole positioned away from the coil but now its infront its way better and the harshness has more or less died off so ye,probably was a new mesh wick.

many thanks for guidance pal ive picked up some good info from you

right ok... the harshness didnt completely go away and ive had to keep trying different coil builds to sort it but to no avail.
    ive tryed high/low res, different volts, filler cap on/off, air hole in different positions, drilled it and then reduced it again, a new wick build and still the same. im just short of putting in a silica wick which i dont want to do. and theres no flavour whatsoever,just harshness. my throat is in bits(think i have to give it a break for awhile)

this RSST hasnt got a patch on my protank rebuilds.

what might i be doing wrong,ive looked all over the net and im doing exactly what everyone else is doing.

i smoked a lighter brand of fag,would this have something to do with it,that my throats not able for mesh wicks??? but it still doesnt explane the lack of flavour which i get from the protank.
    i tryed a mesh wick in the protank and it worked wonders for the first few hours,plenty of flavour and clouds of vapour but then started leaking and gurgling like crazy it became unvapable and i wipped it out.

im at a loss on this one,cant understand why its so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Have you put much juice trough the wick? It usually takes a few tank fulls to get rid of the harshness.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Have you put much juice trough the wick? It usually takes a few tank fulls to get rid of the harshness.

im on my 4th tank but ive changed out the wick once so maybe just a tank and a bit on the present wick.ill try (throat permitting) another tankfull or so before building it again.
    ive just opened up the airhole again and theres a minimal improvement so ill give it another while before i throw it against the wall. i really want to get this working the way everyone says it should

thanks chrome

Did you wash the RSST well?

If you did, the taste should be good from the off and then level upwards towards delicious Tons of pansies people drop their nic when they move to mesh, TH does jump a bit.

Did you wash the RSST well?

If you did, the taste should be good from the off and then level upwards towards delicious Tons of pansies people drop their nic when they move to mesh, TH does jump a bit.

well now theres something ive completely overlooked:o:o

boiling water i suppose? what about the PP tank,will this hold up in boiling water?

jesus cant believe i forgot this:mad:

right all washed and rebuilt,nothing new to say.gonna leave it for a day or 2 and let my throat calm down a bit and try again,maybe get a lower nic juice and try it.think ive over vaped at this stage and need a rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

hi guys,
    going to get one of these, mean AGAs and looking for some advice regarding battery, will eGo Twist will be enough to have some fun with it or need some of 'heavy guns' like iTaste or Evic.
    any feedback more than welcome :)
    cheers
    kris

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

hi guys,
    going to get one of these, mean AGAs and looking for some advice regarding battery, will eGo Twist will be enough to have some fun with it or need some of 'heavy guns' like iTaste or Evic.
    any feedback more than welcome :)
    cheers
    kris
    Twist should work fine, might just look and feel a bit weird though.

Advertisement