Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The show's over for TV

• 09-08-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

People will soon be spending more time using their smartphones and tablets for surfing the web, checking social networks and playing games than they do watching television, new research has found.

The average adult will use a mobile device for five hours a day compared to just four and half hours watching television.

A US marketing company has claimed the tipping point when digital devices surpass the popularity of TV will come later this year.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Digital-Set-Surpass-TV-Time-Spent-with-US-Media/1010096

Although this an American based survey I can see the same trends happening here. Id personally watch my TV for less than an hour these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

They obviously don't get the riveting programming of RTE over there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Leaving plenty more time for Stroking the Chin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Internet, drug of the nation,
    breeding ignorance and feeding radiation

still works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Watch what you watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

God yeah, when I was home a little while ago I did say to my Dad, that I watch more telly on my laptop then I do on the telly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Journalist/researcher never heard about dual screening?
    http://blog.hootsuite.com/brandwatch-second-screen/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

TV channels are crowded with reality muck and "celebrities" clinging onto their 15 seconds of fame with the decent stuff relegated to obscure channels at bizarre hours.

Remember when the like of Discovery Channel and History Channel used to show interesting stuff?

"Up next, were the pyramids built as a warning from Aliens about Hitler? Could Hitler have been an Alien commander? Did he have a stash of brown lemons?

Find out after Fridge Pawners!"

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

Lol uPC's new box can record four channels at once.ffs most of the time i cant find anything to watch on one of the hundreds of channels let alone four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I find watching TV on the internet so much more enjoyable especially UK tv shows. There is nothing worse than the Ads on UK tv(other than RTE programming) for interest free sh1tty furniture, betting or wonga. It makes tv less enjoyable.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    TV channels are crowded with reality muck and "celebrities" clinging onto their 15 seconds of fame with the decent stuff relegated to obscure channels at bizarre hours.

Remember when the like of Discovery Channel and History Channel used to show interesting stuff?

"Up next, were the pyramids built as a warning from Aliens about Hitler? Could Hitler have been an Alien commander? Did he have a stash of brown lemons?

Find out after Fridge Pawners!"

yes it is dire is'nt it?have to wonder can TV survive at al!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Yep. It will all be Netflix and amazon. No one will want to pay for cable with all the junk that's on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Haven't watched TV since I left Ireland 4 years ago now. Watch plenty of movies on Netflix and still actually have a couple of TVs in the house, but we don't have cable since there's no point really

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

Hmmm, how is poll added after posting? A "how many hours do you watch TV a day?" one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Well people have been complaining about there being nothing on TV since it was invented. Was only a matter of time before people copped on that there was other ways to fill their time apart from watching nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

There will always be a place for TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Yup, mounted on the wall connected to a media box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Television the drug of the nation
    Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation
    wil wrote: »
    Watch what you watch

Kinda ironic they made a video for that song ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

except Ireland where "TV still dominates in a world of multi-devices" (TAM Ireland survey, Mar2013)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Funny thing is time spent watching the idiot box has been rising again in the last few years.
    Probably continue to rise as well with the increase in "on-demand" programming.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/mar/18/britons-own-fewer-tvs-research?guni=Article:in%20body%20link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

If TV disappears what will all our Furniture point to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

COYVB wrote: »
    Yup, mounted on the wall connected to a media box

:)

notnumber wrote: »
    If TV disappears what will all our Furniture point to?

The open fire i guess:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Guess most of you guys don't watch sport then. TV will never die as long as their is Sport. Have you ever tried to watch golf or hurling on a smart phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The average adult spends 4.5 hours watching TV?!? WTF? :eek:

Who's making up for my zero hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

endacl wrote: »
    The average adult spends 4.5 hours watching TV?!? WTF? :eek:

Who's making up for my zero hours?

I reckon most of those hours are spent asleep on front of the TV, not watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

why can't u get the TV channels streaming on PC so u can flick between channels like with a regular TV. RTE player takes half the day to load a show with constant ad interruptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thanks to the internet I've gotten used to watching what I want, when I want and no stopping for ads. Want a few episodes of Breaking Bad? No problem, wait, I forgot about the washing, guessing I'll pause and go sort that out. Instead of You can watch it at 11pm on Thursdays but its not repeated so if you miss it tough ****. Oh, we're going to stop now and SHOW YOU SOME ADS, GUESS WHAT? WE TURNED UP THE VOLUME FOR THEM.

Imagine what netflix could do if it charged the same as sky or UPC.

Thanks to the internet I've gotten used to watching what I want, when I want and no stopping for ads. Want a few episodes of Breaking Bad? No problem, wait, I forgot about the washing, guessing I'll pause and go sort that out. Instead of You can watch it at 11pm on Thursdays but its not repeated so if you miss it tough ****. Oh, we're going to stop now and SHOW YOU SOME ADS, GUESS WHAT? WE TURNED UP THE VOLUME FOR THEM.

Imagine what netflix could do if it charged the same as sky or UPC.

What could they do that pirate bay and torrents wheren't already doing for free?
    Personally I think pirate bay should have being commercialized..the guys who founded it deserve more than courts and jail..netflix ..no thanks I'll stick with the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

notnumber wrote: »
    What could they do that pirate bay and torrents wheren't already doing for free?
    Personally I think pirate bay should have being commercialized..the guys who founded it deserve more than courts and jail..netflix ..no thanks I'll stick with the TV.

Virus free, all 100% working and legal. They took the best aspects of streaming and torrents and supply them for a small fee.

• Advertisement

Virus free, all 100% working and legal. They took the best aspects of streaming and torrents and supply them for a small fee.

You would be unlucky to download a virus on torrents if you knew what you where doing..legal? well yeah I can't argue there ..but I would prefer to spend e20 a month on isohunt or pirate bay than pay e7.00 for a limited choice of media on netflix .And they and their kind have tried to force people into their service by forcing ISPs to censor the internet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Video killed the radio star"

84% of all Irish adults listen to the radio every single weekday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

"Video killed the radio star"

84% of all Irish adults listen to the radio every single weekday.

Ive always thought that figure was on the low side and indicative of the lack of real choice on Irish radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

People have been talking about the death of TV since, at least, the dawn of the internet. If you believed the articles that were being written a decade ago then by now all the TVs would be dumped and we'd all be streaming low-quality video on our 3D goggles. Columnists just love to posit that old technology is dying when a) there's little to suggest that TV and the internet are in direct competition and b) TV remains, by far and away, the most important mass medium.

And ironically all this comes as TV is experiencing a sustained golden age with more high-quality content than, possibly, any previous time in history. If this is a dying medium then I'll have some more of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the idea of waiting for a particular show to start at a particular time is an archaic way of watching tv, stream or download on your own time all the way. It's torture waiting a week for new episodes of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones though :(

90% of whats on tv is absolute rubbish anyway, reality bollocks, anything on Discovery with the world "Wars", "Extreme" or "Worlds Fattest" in it, Honey Boo Boo, the majority of what's on MTV or TV3 (should be just renamed The Traveller Channel) for every decent (usually American) show or stuff like BBC documentaries or things like Sherlock, the more out there stuff Channel 4 makes and a few other things worth watching it's mostly rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Terrestrial and basic Cable tv is horrific. The things you see on ITV, TV3, MTV are for the thickest people occupying society.

Even the likes of the discovery channel has nosedived over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Terrestrial and basic Cable tv is horrific. The things you see on ITV, TV3, MTV are for the thickest people occupying society.

Even the likes of the discovery channel has nosedived over the last few years.

BBC is giving ITV a good run using taxpayer money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

krudler wrote: »
    the idea of waiting for a particular show to start at a particular time is an archaic way of watching tv, stream or download on your own time all the way. It's torture waiting a week for new episodes of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones though :(

90% of whats on tv is absolute rubbish anyway, reality bollocks, anything on Discovery with the world "Wars", "Extreme" or "Worlds Fattest" in it, Honey Boo Boo, the majority of what's on MTV or TV3 (should be just renamed The Traveller Channel) for every decent (usually American) show or stuff like BBC documentaries or things like Sherlock, the more out there stuff Channel 4 makes and a few other things worth watching it's mostly rubbish.

Class !!! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I agree for national events like All Irelands, Olympic events, major 9/11 style breaking news stories and the like but I would say that already most under 40s surely spend more time online than watching TV each day? I think smartphones have really accelerated the amount of time people spend online due to the instant and convenient means of accessing it.

Now that I've got used to Netflix style instant availability of entire series of commercial free shows, the traditional waiting a week for one hour of ad filled drama is a turn off. Can't remember when I last did that for a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Waiting a week to see you're favourite show added excitement and anticipation in my opinion.Instant access is handy but not necessarily better than a weekly episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Agree with the whole waiting a week to see a programme. Shows like 24 are not the same when watching on a weekly basis. I watched one series weekly and it just wasn't the same as watching it in 8 hour blocks.

I remember giving up on Lost because i was so frustrated with the weekly cliff hangers

• Advertisement
Advertisement