Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations and Junior World Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Looking at the photos it seems Gardiner and Heffernan For Leinster and O'Brien and O'Rourke are getting to know each other and giving it plenty! Great picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Great performance from Leinster, they just looked to have some serious backs with ball in hand and I hate saying this after a game like that...... The ref was so bad ! Can ruin a good game. Still some positives for Connacht. Some great players on both teams. Pity about the 8 yellows and 2 reds (lost count) over as a contest when Sean O'Brien was sent off

How did the centre partnership work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

There were no red cards and only two yellows.

Match Report from Leinster game
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/10307

• Advertisement

Teams for tomorrows games
    Munster U20
    15 David Johnston (UL Bohs)
    14 Alex Wootton (Exile)
    13 Ned Hodson (UCC)
    12 Dan Goggin (Young Munster)
    11 Adrian Enright (UL Bohs)
    10 Gearoid Lyons (Shannon)
    9 Ryan Foley (Cork Con)
    1 Aidan Slattery (Cork Con)
    2 Ben Burns (UCC)
    3 Rory Burke (Cork Con)
    4 John Madigan (Dolphin)
    5 Darragh Moloney (Cork Con)
    6 Lee Nicholas (Shannon)
    7 Aidan Butler (Shannon)
    8 Jack O’Donoghue (Captain) (UL Bohs)

Replacements
    16 Max Abbot (Cork Con)
    17 Mike Lynch (St. Senans/UL Bohs)
    18 James Maxwell (Cashel)
    19 Patrick Kearns (Shannon)
    20 Sonny Dwyer (Cork Con)
    21 Aaron Atkinson (UCC)
    22 Sam Sterling (UL Bohs)
    23 Greg O’Shea (Shannon)

Leinster u20
    15 Billy Dardis (UCD)
    14 Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne)
    13 Adam Byrne (UCD)
    12 Garry Ringrose (Blackrock College)
    11 Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    10 Ross Byrne (UCD)
    9 Nick McCarthy (St. Michael’s College

1 Ivan Soroka (Belvedere College)
    2 Dylan Donnellan (UCD)
    3 Oisín Heffernan (Lansdowne RFC)
    4 Ross Molony (UCD)
    5 Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    6 Josh Murphy (UCD)
    7 Michael Triggs (Lansdowne)
    8 Peader Timmins (UCD)

Replacements
    16 Shane Delahunt (Lansdowne)
    17 Denis Coulson (Lansdowne)
    18 Craig Trenier (Terenure College)
    19 Stephen Keelan (Clongowes Wood College)
    20 Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    21 Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere)
    22 Conor McKeon (Lansdowne)
    23 Stephen O’Neill (Terenure College)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

Anyone else intrigued to see how many players that weren't involved in the Interpro's make it into the Ireland 20 squad. I'm already noticing several players that aren't involved due to being members of a certain teams academy, injured and not selected. I remember last year, there were several players that came from nowhere and ended up making a huge impact.

Connacht made plenty of changes for tonights game v Ulster
    SOB2.0 now at 8 with Boyle starting in row in his place.
    Jack Dineen now on the bench as is Paul Hackett who replaces Eddie Earle.
    Ben Carty moves from the bench to full back in place of Eoghan O'Reilly, who moves to the left wing in place of Mark O'Keefe who replaces Carty on the bench.

Jacob Walshe, Scott Flanagan, Saba Meunargia
    Josh O’Rourke, Shane Boyle
    Sam McCormack, Rory Moloney, Sean O’Brien(C)
    Caolin Blade, Sean O’Hagan
    Eoghan O’Reilly, Andrew McAleer, Rory Parata, Matt Mellotte
    Ben Carty

Replacements:
    Conor Duffy, Dan McCardle, Andrew Barr, Jack Dineen, Paul Hackett, Conor Kerins, Mark O’Keefe, Charlie Ryan

Anyone going to either game? I will be at the Munster Leinster game in Thomond where I can only see an away win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Interested in seeing how SOBv2 does at 8. I think it's probably where he'll end up playing given his height.

Hagz wrote: »
    Interested in seeing how SOBv2 does at 8. I think it's probably where he'll end up playing given his height.
    yeah. has played bits and pieces in 2nd row but not tall enough to be in the row and I don't see him as a blindside. 8 is where he'll end up imo

How do you think games will go tonight?

• Advertisement

yeah. has played bits and pieces in 2nd row but not tall enough to be in the row and I don't see him as a blindside. 8 is where he'll end up imo

Haven't the foggiest. Ulster changed their XV quite a lot and so there might not be a lot of continuity. And I'm hoping Connacht will be raring to make amends of their big loss, so I'm backing them to win.

A part of me also thinks Leinster will put up a convincing score tonight, but I prefer the XV Munster have out this week to last week so I dunno.

Connacht Ulster game actually kicked off at 3pm and resulted in a Connacht win on score of 27-25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

19-6 to Leinster at the moment in Fortress Thomond.

19-18 now! Munster score two tries.
    Conv hits post.

Leinster win 19-18!

Was at the game in Thomond tonight. Leinster players had much better skills, their awareness of space was very good.
    When Leinster's backs got the ball you could see the increase In pace and that the players had seen where the space was to attack before the ball arrived and they attacked at pace making large gains
    Leinster lineout is a well oiled machine with both 2nd rows very good in the air with Ross Molony a fantastic prospect.
    Munster were well out of the game after first half with Madigan and Jack O D pulling the men in red back into the game as 2nd half went on.
    Leinster superiority is not shown in final scoreline. Scoreline shows the hard work done by some Munster forwards to drag their side into a game that was lost after the early exchanges
    On players who were very good.
    For Leinster: Kelleher, Molony, R Byrne, Ringrose
    Munster: Madigan, JOD, Goggin

Byrne must be a good prospect if he's keeping McKeon out of the XV. I've only seen him play in the SCT, where his passing was very flat and accurate. Potentially a Leinster dominated back-line for the Ire u20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Byrne must be a good prospect if he's keeping McKeon out of the XV. I've only seen him play in the SCT, where his passing was very flat and accurate. Potentially a Leinster dominated back-line for the Ire u20s.

Although Leinster won by a comfortable scoreline last week, Byrne was average at best, easy to look good when a team is very dominant like Leinster were last week against Connacht. Byrne must have missed at least four good kicking chances in that game and handed the kicking duties to Ringrose I believe as it got so bad, who I thought kicked much better. O'Hagan got his only two kicks last week for Connacht's only scores of the game, this week he kicked five out of six from the tee as well as two good tries for a 22 point haul out of 27 scored in their win over Ulster. I would think those figures would give him a good chance of getting in the Leinster dominated back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Thought he looked an excellent prospect in the SCT, a Sexton 2.0 in his style of play. His actual pass is good but his decision making and appreciation of space was outstanding.

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Although Leinster won by a comfortable scoreline last week, Byrne was average at best, easy to look good when a team is very dominant like Leinster were last week against Connacht. Byrne must have missed at least four good kicking chances in that game and handed the kicking duties to Ringrose I believe as it got so bad, who I thought kicked much better. O'Hagan got his only two kicks last week for Connacht's only scores of the game, this week he kicked five out of six from the tee as well as two good tries for a 22 point haul out of 27 scored in their win over Ulster. I would think those figures would give him a good chance of getting in the Leinster dominated back line.

Oh, I was talking more about his back-play. I'm not really concerned with how a young player kicks at goal. I'd rather us play an out-half based on his attacking merits. In saying that, I know O'Hagan is a big prospect, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he grabbed the 10 shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Was at the game in Thomond tonight. Leinster players had much better skills, their awareness of space was very good.
    When Leinster's backs got the ball you could see the increase In pace and that the players had seen where the space was to attack before the ball arrived and they attacked at pace making large gains
    Leinster lineout is a well oiled machine with both 2nd rows very good in the air with Ross Molony a fantastic prospect.
    Munster were well out of the game after first half with Madigan and Jack O D pulling the men in red back into the game as 2nd half went on.
    Leinster superiority is not shown in final scoreline. Scoreline shows the hard work done by some Munster forwards to drag their side into a game that was lost after the early exchanges
    On players who were very good.
    For Leinster: Kelleher, Molony, R Byrne, Ringrose
    Munster: Madigan, JOD, Goggin

How did Dardis play?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Oh, I was talking more about his back-play. I'm not really concerned with how a young player kicks at goal. I'd rather us play an out-half based on his attacking merits. In saying that, I know O'Hagan is a big prospect, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he grabbed the 10 shirt.
    if there is one defining aspect of Ross Byrne's play as a 10 it is that he is an out and out attacking playmaker. he seeks to put runners, backs and forwards into space. Difficult to defend against because he always seems to have numerous options and you are never sure who he is going to feed his precision passes to. A very promising tactical brain at 18 years of age.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    How did Dardis play?
    didn't stand out in overall game but showed glimpses of real class at different stages. Footwork was lovely and creation of space and how to attack very good.

didn't stand out in overall game but showed glimpses of real class at different stages. Footwork was lovely and creation of space and how to attack very good.

By all accounts Kelleher out-shone him and was MOTM.

By all accounts Kelleher out-shone him and was MOTM.

Is Kelleher young or something? From the little I saw of the Schools Cup last year he was stand out.
    Academy next year?

Where's he in college?

Is Kelleher young or something? From the little I saw of the Schools Cup last year he was stand out.
    Academy next year?

Where's he in college?

No was an U19 with Leinster last year and played full back with 'Michaels. Class player but a little too selfish at times. I think he is with Lansdowne now. Looks like it was him or Dardis for the academy but if he keeps that form up he will definitely get in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Academy next year?

Where's he in college?

Great athlete with size speed + power but didn't seem to have the rugby brain to go with it, and that's putting it lightly. He was definitely stand out in the SCT but I assumed his athleticism would only get him so far at pro level. Havent changed that opinion but if he progresses like this I'll happily be proven wrong.

Leinster lost Timmons in the second minute (replaced by Sean Coughlan) and Adam Byrne in the 25th minute (replaced by Stephen O'Neill). Hopefully they're long term injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Leinster lost Timmons in the second minute (replaced by Sean Coughlan) and Adam Byrne in the 25th minute (replaced by Stephen O'Neill). Hopefully they're long term injuries.

Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

Haha, oops. I meant to say not. I'm not a sadist :pac:

Byrne's injury isn't serious anyway so that's good.

I wasn't in in time to see what happened to Timmins but Byrne injury didn't look too bad.

Presume you mean hopefully they're not long term injuries..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

To that end, does he have the dynamism to play 8.. That's not a rhetorical question

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Byrne is a really good player and playmaker, kicking will be a thought when it comes to tournament play tho. In fairness to Byrne, he seems to have had a better day with the boot yesterday, he is a very bright prospect as we know, he could be this years fly half. O'Hagan did have a seriously good game yesterday, his first try of the game was just top drawer and he seemed to be a real leader of the team when they went behind. Connacht have lots of options at 10 so he is showing his talents no doubt.

One strange thing that stands out for me reading these posts is that quite a lot of the lads being talked about like Byrne, O'Hagan, Dardis, Rory Maloney who was great as well, then add in James Ryan, Brewer maybe Cleary, (know they are not playing 20's this year yet and could name more) these lads are all U19 and eligible next year as well. Not starting next years tread but lots of great players playing a year up

LEINSTER UNDER-20: v Ulster Donnybrook Friday 20th at 7.30
    15: Billy Dardis (UCD)
    14: Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne)
    13: Gary Ringrose (Blackrock College)
    12: Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College RFC)
    11: Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    10: Ross Byrne (UCD)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College)
    1: Ivan Soroka (Belvedere College SJ)
    2: Dylan Donnellan (UCD)
    3: Oisin Heffernan (Lansdowne)
    4: Ross Moloney (UCD) CAPTAIN
    5: Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    6: Michael Triggs (Lansdowne)
    7: Stephen Keelan (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    8: Josh Murphy (UCD)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Shane Delahunt (Lansdowne)
    17: Denis Coulson (Lansdowne)
    18: Craig Trenier (Terenure College RFC)
    19: Jack O'Neill (Lansdowne)
    20: Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    21: Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere RFC)
    22: Conor McKeon (Lansdowne)
    23: Cormac Brennan (Old Belvedere RFC)

Connacht team named for tomorrows game against Munster
    Sam McCormack, Sean O Brien, Rory Moloney
    Caolin Blade, Sean OHagan
    Eoghan O’Reilly, Andrew McAleer, Rory Parata, Mark O’Keefe
    Ciaran Gaffney
    subs:
    Conor Duffy, Dan McCardle, Andrew Barr, Jack Dineen, Paul Hackett, Conor Kerins, Ben Carty, Charlie Ryan

• Advertisement

Ciaran Gaffney
    subs:
    Conor Duffy, Dan McCardle, Andrew Barr, Jack Dineen, Paul Hackett, Conor Kerins, Ben Carty, Charlie Ryan
    And the Munster side that will face them
    David Johnston, Alex Wootton, Dan Goggin, Sam Sterling, Greg O’Shea, Gearoid Lyons, Ryan Foley; Mikey Lynch, Ben Burns, Rory Burke; John Madigan, Patrick Kearns, Lee Nicholas, Aidan Butler, Jack O’Donoghue
    Replacements: Max Abbott, Sean McGee, James Maxwell, Darragh Moloney, Sonny Dwyer, Aaron Atkinson, Ned Hodson, Adrian Enright

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Ciaran Gaffney
    subs:

Could be the HB pairing for the six nations and the JWC?

hype101 wrote: »
    Could be the HB pairing for the six nations and the JWC?
    most definitely could be. Should be at Connacht Munster tomorrow so should have good report on how they get on this time tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

wise7 wrote: »
    LEINSTER UNDER-20: v Ulster Donnybrook Friday 20th at 7.30
    15: Billy Dardis (UCD)
    14: Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne)
    13: Gary Ringrose (Blackrock College)
    12: Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College RFC)
    11: Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    10: Ross Byrne (UCD)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College)
    1: Ivan Soroka (Belvedere College SJ)
    2: Dylan Donnellan (UCD)
    3: Oisin Heffernan (Lansdowne)
    4: Ross Moloney (UCD) CAPTAIN
    5: Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    6: Michael Triggs (Lansdowne)
    7: Stephen Keelan (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    8: Josh Murphy (UCD)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Shane Delahunt (Lansdowne)
    17: Denis Coulson (Lansdowne)
    18: Craig Trenier (Terenure College RFC)
    19: Jack O'Neill (Lansdowne)
    20: Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    21: Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere RFC)
    22: Conor McKeon (Lansdowne)
    23: Cormac Brennan (Old Belvedere RFC)

No Adam Byrne? Injured, or travelling as cover with seniors?

.ak wrote: »
    Injured last week against Munster.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    didnt look comfortable at all last week on pitch. Taken off injured.
    Any predictions for tonights games? Think Munster may edge Connacht and Leinster to just hold off Ulster. Anyone any different?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

Connacht thrashing Munster there now. Double digit lead.

Double-digit? 10 points?

Not exactly thrashing reading reports on twitter
    Double-digit? 10 points?
    16-10 to Connacht. game virt over

was 16-0 for a large portion of the first half, munster did well to pull it back.

7-7 Leinster Ulster

Kelleher with another try

12-12 halftime. Good game from reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

was 16-0 for a large portion of the first half, munster did well to pull it back.

2 yellow card for Connacht in 2nd half, Rory Moloney and Rory Parara. Saba Meunargia the TH went off injured as did Sean O Brien the captain.

Ref played 12 minutes of injury time

So no team gets the slam.

17-17 draw between Leinster Ulster means Interpro title goes to Leinster

So with Interpros out of the way. What do people think Irish squad will look like?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement