Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations and Junior World Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

20-20 draw between Leinster Ulster

So with Interpros out of the way. What do people think Irish squad will look like?

I would think in the shake up from Connacht would be

Sean O Brien
    Rory Moloney
    Rory Parata
    Ciaran Gaffeney
    Saba Meunargia
    Jacob Walshe
    Caolin Blade

Not saying they'll be starting. Just in the shake up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well one things for sure, it'll be a strong 20s side. Some good depth in almost every position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I would think in the shake up from Connacht would be
    Sean O Brien
    Rory Moloney
    Rory Parata
    Ciaran Gaffeney
    Saba Meunargia
    Jacob Walshe
    Caolin Blade

Not saying they'll be starting. Just in the shake up
    Yes most cert. From Munster: JOD, Madigan, Goggin, Kearns,
    Leinster: Byrne, Molony
    Hagz wrote: »
    Well one things for sure, it'll be a strong 20s side. Some good depth in almost every position.
    Hopefully. JWC draw is helpful with none of big SH sides in group.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

So from a friend of mine who was at the Leinster-Ulster game, he told me that Leinsters pack weren't impressive at all, especially at set-piece. Claimed Ulster were the stronger side and really should of won the game.

As for Ireland 20s, I imagine the interpro's won't have a huge effect on the squad. Players like Leavy, Brewer, Dooley, Robb, Fromm, Alexander etc all will be in the mix. There will also be many players that weren't picked for the interpro's like Mahar, Allen, Fortune etc that in my opinion should be involved if they get game time at their clubs.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    So from a friend of mine who was at the Leinster-Ulster game, he told me that Leinsters pack weren't impressive at all, especially at set-piece. Claimed Ulster were the stronger side and really should of won the game.

As for Ireland 20s, I imagine the interpro's won't have a huge effect on the squad. Players like Leavy, Brewer, Dooley, Robb, Fromm, Alexander etc all will be in the mix. There will also be many players that weren't picked for the interpro's like Mahar, Allen, Fortune etc that in my opinion should be involved if they get game time at their clubs.
    Untrue. Totally untrue.

Yes some who did not play in the Interpros due to injury etc will be in Irish set up but players simply not picked very unlikely to be picked for irish set up unless totally starring at AIL level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

1. Dooley 2. ???? 3. Saba 4. Madigan 5. Molony 6. Timmins 7. Leavy 8. JOD

There is your pack.

My expected team
    1. Dooley
    2. Have no idea
    3. Meunargia
    4. O'Brien
    5. Molony
    6. Timmons
    7. Leavy
    8. O'Donoghue
    9. Blade
    10. O'Hagan
    11. Kelleher
    12. Robb
    13. O'Loughlin
    14. Byrne
    15. Dardis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

My expected team
    1. Dooley
    2. Have no idea
    3. Meunargia
    4. O'Brien
    5. Molony
    6. Timmons
    7. Leavy
    8. O'Donoghue
    9. Blade
    10. O'Hagan
    11. Kelleher
    12. Robb
    13. O'Loughlin
    14. Byrne
    15. Dardis

9 Leinster players? How did Dardis play tonight? Seems Kelleher is outshining him right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Quint2010 wrote: »
    9 Leinster players? How did Dardis play tonight? Seems Kelleher is outshining him right now..

Kelleher always looked a great athlete and at this level he will shine, but when a player like Macken who was even more devestating has such trouble transitioning, you see how much more you need at pro level. From what I've seen Dardis has the brain and overall skillset to go with his athleticism, haven't seen that in Kelleher but this is all from last season's SCT so maybe he has improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

A very loose game of union in dbrook tonight!
    Shame to see charlie rock boot the ball out at the end though.

Have reservations about Meunargia,and judging by the leinster scrum there doesnt seem to be any outstanding tightheads this year. the ulster lad was decent. Ulster had their usual few monsters in the pack,campbell at lock and Dow at 8 especially. Alexander was good impact sub,and mark best was outstanding til he went off. I think if he'd stayed on it wouldve been a different ballgame

My expected team
    1. Dooley
    2. Have no idea
    3. Meunargia
    4. O'Brien
    5. Molony
    6. Timmons
    7. Leavy
    8. O'Donoghue
    9. Blade
    10. O'Hagan
    11. Kelleher
    12. Robb
    13. O'Loughlin
    14. Byrne
    15. Dardis
    Madigan, Parata, Goggin will push for that side. Moloney in back row will be very close. Not too many other changes from your side other than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

O Hagan is still u19

Is that 9 Blade from Connacht much good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

You'd have to expect a few Ulster guys to feature.

O Hagan is still u19

Is that 9 Blade from Connacht much good?
    Blade is good. Always looked good for Monivea and Connacht at 18s/19s past few seasons. Lovely pass and runs a game well
    shuffol wrote: »
    You'd have to expect a few Ulster guys to feature.
    Of course. Kane, Alexander, Dow will be there or there abouts as will Busby, Morton, Atkinson, Taggart and Adair. All will be in or close to extended squad for upcoming training camps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

The only Connacht players that I would expect to see contend for the squad would be O'Hagan, O'Brien, Walshe, and Rory Maloney.

Saba Meunagria possibly if tight heads are scarce. Outside of that I am not sure.

The backs of Leinster were way better than Connacht and did not see that much in Ulster and Munster to surpass them. O'Hagan has had a remarkable few games with the boot, his place kicking won the game for Connacht today, even though he runs with the ball too much if anything. A lot will depend on what type of game they want to play, wheather he will start. He was 100% today from the tee. His game against Ulster last week alone was worthy of a place in the squad. I think that he has got 39 out of 49 points scored over the three games. Sean O'Brien was playing much better today and leading the forwards when he had a freak injury to his ankle, tripping over the fence to the dog track around the pitch, trying to catch a ball kicked into touch. Hope he is alright. Connacht pack were not the same when he went off. Rory Maloney was very quiet in the first game but brilliant in the next two. He should be in the squad for sure. Jacob Walshe has been consistently good in every game, he just keeps improving and is really mobile around the pitch.

Munster could have and maybe should have won the game today, they made some crazy decisions in the half backs, they had two Connacht players yellow carded and a man injured when they should have retained the ball, they kicked it away, big numbers advantage that they squandered and as for place kicking, the 10 missed some sitters, felt for the lad. Hard to believe that they did not win a game, they are better than that. Game management cost them.

The great thing is that the teams were all competitive, bar the second half collapse of Connacht in the first game, they showed real spirit to come back and win the next two and Leinster could have lost the next two ! Hopefully a great year ahead for the national U20 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Was at the Leinster Ulster game and the number 6 for Ulster was the man of the match for me , what a player.
    Dardis was poor i felt, just looked like one of those days where not a lot goes right.
    Kelleher ,Stephen O'Neill and Triggs were the standouts from Leinster i felt

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Leinster ended up in all 3 games under severe pressure in the scrum and tonight's game alone saw them lose probably 6 of their own. So over the series no seriously useful go-forward ball from the set piece and although lineouts worked very well at times, errand throwing didn't help the cause. In spite of this, Leinster still won the series which speaks volumes for the way they used precious little possession to turn it into playing territory and scoring points in all 3 games. You would have to look at the individuals who brought this level of control and game management, under extreme fire, to ultimately win out, when you are looking to speculate who should occupy pivotal positions in the Ireland u-20 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I really hope Blade makes it as a pro... simply because of his name. It really is a fantastic name, and think of all the puns. Too good an opportunity to miss.

He'll really bring a cutting edge to the Irish backline...

My Ireland 20 team :

1:Dooley
    2:Burns/Abbott/Allen
    3:Meunargia/Craig
    4:Molony
    5:O'Brien
    6:Timmins
    7:Leavy
    8:O'Donoghue
    9:Blade
    10:O'Hagan/Byrne
    11:Kelleher
    12:Robb
    13:O'Loughlin
    14:Byrne
    15:Dardis

There are also a few players like Brewer, Walshe and Moloney who will push hard for a starting place. From that 15, there's 5 players who didn't feature in the 'pros for different reasons(Injury, Academy, Non-Selection etc).

• Advertisement

My Ireland 20 team :
    1:Dooley
    2:Burns/Abbott/Allen
    3:Meunargia/Craig
    4:Molony
    5:O'Brien
    6:Timmins
    7:Leavy
    8:O'Donoghue
    9:Blade
    10:O'Hagan/Byrne
    11:Kelleher
    12:Robb
    13:O'Loughlin
    14:Byrne
    15:Dardis

There are also a few players like Brewer, Walshe and Moloney who will push hard for a starting place. From that 15, there's 5 players who didn't feature in the 'pros for different reasons(Injury, Academy, Non-Selection etc).
    Yeah not a bad team like I said in response to Hagz team. Think Madigan in the row. Parata in centre, Goggin in centre all will be there or there abouts. What level people are playing over next few months will also play a role with those starting regularly in AIL and of course those who get provincial recognition better off

Josh Murphy of Leinster should be very much in contention too and also arguably Ross Byrne and Conor McKeon are the best two outhalfs overall and I wouldn't be surprised to see both announced in the Irish squad, irrespective of them coming from the same province.

Josh Murphy looks very slight to me.

He has a bit of filling out to do but he is only 18. Look at how he uses what he has though. His physicality is impressive, his lineout work is consistently flawless and he has a great engine.

Murphy is a top talent in my book. Need to fill into his frame but huge potential there as a 6.

Backrow is so deep its ridiculous..

assume Leavy, Timmins and JOD to start.

Still have O'Brien, Dow, Taggart, Moloney to call upon.

wise7 wrote: »
    Josh Murphy of Leinster should be very much in contention too and also arguably Ross Byrne and Conor McKeon are the best two outhalfs overall and I wouldn't be surprised to see both announced in the Irish squad, irrespective of them coming from the same province.

Slight hint of blue tinted glasses there !

It can't have helped McKeon having young Byrne come in and take his place,not sure if he started any of the three games. To then put both ahead of the other three provinces 10's......... Not sure about that

well McKeon was considered the best outhalf of his age group.. consistent Ireland starter at u18 and u19 level. Only this year was he usurped by Byrne. Which is fairly surprising. Will be shocked if McKeon isn't in an academy setup next year..

Think Lyons is a good deal off Byrne and O'Hagan. Who are both top top talents.

Not sure what to make of Bingham.

Will be shocked if McKeon isn't in an academy setup next year..

Really? If he doesn't start for the 20s, then I'd be shocked if he is in an academy setup next year.

Really? If he doesn't start for the 20s, then I'd be shocked if he is in an academy setup next year.

Not Leinsters but the other three academys arent that deep to ignore him.

Connacht would be mad too.

Maybe i'm overrating him but there is a reason he was a sure starter for Ireland u18 and u19.

• Advertisement

Leinster is full of great talent but when you get dropped down the ladder like McKeon you have decisions to make. I think the likes of Rory Maloney made a great choice in going to Connacht, he got all the game time he needed to put himself in the window. He is going to NUIG and getting a good education too. It's a common debate with the overspill of talent in Leinster, where do they go when not wanted by them? When do they go? The other provinces are getting on with bringing in the best talent that they can.

I just think that it would be hard on players who train away all summer, do all that they can to get selected and play in the interpros, have great games and then find that it was all in vain if the Irish selectors go for what essentially is a second choice for Leinster? Mind you Leinster were not that far ahead when you look at the results overall.

Triggs for Leinster broke his jaw.

I think the 20's Ireland side picks itself bar 2/3 positions of all players are on form and fit. O'Brien and Molony in the 2nd row is a giving. Along with O'Loughlin and Robb in the centres, as is the back 3. Out-Half is a tight one, depends on what game they want to play. The problem position is hooker as there's no real stand-outs. Wasn't impressed with Leinsters or Connachts hookers. Thought Burns for Munster was decent, even though I'd rate Abbott more than him. Also think Allen could potentially make the squad as he is playing AIL Senior rugby with Belvo at the minute. Leavy will 100% captain the side. TH is a position were I'm unsure on. No real stand-outs. We've 2 or 3 quality loose-heads though in Dooley, Walshe etc.

A lot will come down to Ruddocks decisions and who impresses in the club games over the next 6-10 weeks.

Disagree it picks itself.. could see Best from Ulster in there. Seriously impressive. Wings are deep with Kelleher, Fitzpatrick, Byrne and Adair.

Lock you have three good options although I don't think SOB is as good a lock as he is a backrower.

I think the 20's Ireland side picks itself bar 2/3 positions of all players are on form and fit. O'Brien and Molony in the 2nd row is a giving. Along with O'Loughlin and Robb in the centres, as is the back 3. Out-Half is a tight one, depends on what game they want to play. The problem position is hooker as there's no real stand-outs. Wasn't impressed with Leinsters or Connachts hookers. Thought Burns for Munster was decent, even though I'd rate Abbott more than him. Also think Allen could potentially make the squad as he is playing AIL Senior rugby with Belvo at the minute. Leavy will 100% captain the side. TH is a position were I'm unsure on. No real stand-outs. We've 2 or 3 quality loose-heads though in Dooley, Walshe etc.

A lot will come down to Ruddocks decisions and who impresses in the club games over the next 6-10 weeks.
    Not at all does side pick itself. Think Madigan in 2nd row is right up with the two you name and SOB & RM are cert not a given. Don't think ROL & PB are givens in the centre either with several between the other 3 provinces very strong.
    Agree that a lot will also come down to performances in AIL over next 2/3 months

I would think that O'Loughlin is a cert as long as he's fit. I certainly think he's head and shoulders above the other options at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

If they go with Byrne at 10 they might want to include Best at 12 as another kicking option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DaraOC

Unlucky for him , would he be in with a chance of getting into the 20s squad ? He's been playing very well

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

well McKeon was considered the best outhalf of his age group.. consistent Ireland starter at u18 and u19 level. Only this year was he usurped by Byrne. Which is fairly surprising. Will be shocked if McKeon isn't in an academy setup next year..

Think Lyons is a good deal off Byrne and O'Hagan. Who are both top top talents.

Not sure what to make of Bingham.

Bingham is still at school so won't be near Ireland u20's he also can't run a game in my opinion. Definitely believe it will be between O'Hagan and the two leinster 10's. This year group shows a lot of strength and depth bar the front row which is a worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Murphy is a top talent in my book. Need to fill into his frame but huge potential there as a 6.

Backrow is so deep its ridiculous..

assume Leavy, Timmins and JOD to start.

Still have O'Brien, Dow, Taggart, Moloney to call upon.

Would like to see SOB tried at eight in the six nations to see how it goes.. Harsh on JOD maybe but he seems a better carrier and more physical to me.. A Timmons, Leavy, SOB backrow has some serious look to it.. Could have Madigan and Moloney in the row then

hype101 wrote: »
    Would like to see SOB tried at eight in the six nations to see how it goes.. Harsh on JOD maybe but he seems a better carrier and more physical to me.. A Timmons, Leavy, SOB backrow has some serious look to it.. Could have Madigan and Moloney in the row then
    Quite harsh on JOD. He along with Madigan pulled Munster pack through games the past few weeks.
    Think JOD should be in team and wouldn't agree SOB2 is a better carrier more physical perhaps but not better carrier. JOD is a very very intelligent player and should be on team and if not at 8 perhaps at 6

I think JOD is a better footballer and more intelligent, which would compliment a Timmons/Leavy back-row very well.

We'll probably see a situation similar to '12 where Henderson shifted from the row to back-row depending on the game-plan.

presume he did it putting in that savage hit on Dow,also got concussed I think

In terms of 20s I Imagine madigan will be in there,a 6'6/7 120kg freak is hard to leave out!

My team from the interpros. (saw 3 games)

1. Jacob Walshe(Connacht)
    2. Ben Burns(Munster)
    3. Saba Meunargia(Connacht)
    4. John Madigan(Munster)
    5. Ross Molony(Leinster)
    6. Frankie Taggart(Ulster)
    7. Rory Moloney(Connacht)
    8. Jack O’Donoghue(Munster)
    9. Coalin Blade(Connacht)
    10. Ross Byrne(Leinster)
    11. Ian Fitzpatrick(Leinster)
    12. Mark Best(Ulster)
    13. Adam Byrne(Leinster)
    14. Alex Wooten(Munster)
    15. Billy Dardis(Leinster)

Surely Cian Kelleher would earn a place in your side with his haul of tries, impressive footwork and strength in defence?

• Advertisement

wasn't too great in defence when i saw him, i'd have him on the bench. still pretty close, lots of good quality wingers to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

My team from the interpros. (saw 3 games)

1. Jacob Walshe(Connacht)
    2. Ben Burns(Munster)
    3. Saba Meunargia(Connacht)
    4. John Madigan(Munster)
    5. Ross Molony(Leinster)
    6. Frankie Taggart(Ulster)
    7. Rory Moloney(Connacht)
    8. Jack O’Donoghue(Munster)
    9. Coalin Blade(Connacht)
    10. Ross Byrne(Leinster)
    11. Ian Fitzpatrick(Leinster)
    12. Mark Best(Ulster)
    13. Adam Byrne(Leinster)
    14. Alex Wooten(Munster)
    15. Billy Dardis(Leinster)

Blade should get some sort of award for the best name for a SH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

.ak wrote: »
    Blade should get some sort of award for the best name for a SH.

Headline writers across the island are hoping he makes it to pro level.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Headline writers across the island are hoping he makes it to pro level.

Not sure Blade will make it to be honest!
    Will be a few exiles to come into the equation plus Dooley, Leavy & Byrne
    10 will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CGD wrote: »
    Not sure Blade will make it to be honest!

Lacks incision? No cutting edge?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement