Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations and Junior World Cup 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Andrew Hoey is just some kid from 'Rock who joined in on the usual school's thread trolling. There's no way Boland is underage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

Every year there is youngsters that even when given shot at provincial jerseys and then some and they turn it down for variety of reasons not just that they weren't "up for it"
    In my own club there is a young lad playing 1st team rugby and stars with them and he turned down provincial call up a few years ago as just didn't want it then but has kept playing and provinces have looked at him and he did some sessions with 1 of the provincial academies/sub academies last season.

that's all well and good but mckeever doesn't even play rugby anymore.. if you want to find him you'll more than likely see him mind in a nightclub on harcourt street. I've seen him plenty of times over the last few weeks.

he wasn't up to the work asked of him by leinster and quit preseason training. Pretty simple, it's not the first time he has quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Hagz wrote: »
    Andrew Hoey is just some kid from 'Rock who joined in on the usual school's thread trolling. There's no way Boland is underage.

I feel violated.. Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Not possible. To play 20s club rugby this season you must be eligible to play interpro rugby as they are the same age groups with same dates of eligibility - 1/1/94.

Every year there is youngsters that even when given shot at provincial jerseys and then some and they turn it down for variety of reasons not just that they weren't "up for it"
    In my own club there is a young lad playing 1st team rugby and stars with them and he turned down provincial call up a few years ago as just didn't want it then but has kept playing and provinces have looked at him and he did some sessions with 1 of the provincial academies/sub academies last season.

Quite possible. the age in Leinster has changed to the 1st of July 1993

boland is captain as far as Ive heard anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

lurtz wrote: »
    Quite possible. the age in Leinster has changed to the 1st of July 1993

boland is captain as far as Ive heard anyway

Boland isn't underage. Many quality players are still underage for clubs but can't play for Ireland 20's. Players like Conor Kilcoyne, Dan O'Byrne, Conor Owende, Bobby Holand etc all still play for their clubs u20 side but won't be involved with Irelan 20's as they are too old.

• Advertisement

Under 20 club results :

Old Wesley 20, Old Belvedere 31
    UCD 31, St Marys College RFC 3
    Terenure College RFC 27, Lansdowne 22

Interesting to see Lansdowne lose, with so many interpro players involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Is Dardis on that 'Nure team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Under 20 club results :

Old Wesley 20, Old Belvedere 31
    UCD 31, St Marys College RFC 3
    Terenure College RFC 27, Lansdowne 22

Interesting to see Lansdowne lose, with so many interpro players involved.
    Terenure would have had a few interpros as well.

Munster website doesn't have all club results up from weekends opening u20 South West conference division 1 games but UL Bohs beat Sundays Well 31-8 and Garryowen beat Galwegians 67-8

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Morf wrote: »
    Is Dardis on that 'Nure team?

No, ucd

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irelandrugger

Blade will start 9 o brien at lock and o hagan and Byrne is a tight one, o hagan is very good with ball in hand he has a burst if speed off the mark and is a big lad for 18, Byrne on the other hand controls the game much better but isn't as much of a threat as o hagan, Byrnes awareness of space and ability to bring players in to the game is better than o Hagans but he poses more of a threat and place kicks better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Blade will start 9 o brien at lock and o hagan and Byrne is a tight one, o hagan is very good with ball in hand he has a burst if speed off the mark and is a big lad for 18, Byrne on the other hand controls the game much better but isn't as much of a threat as o hagan, Byrnes awareness of space and ability to bring players in to the game is better than o Hagans but he poses more of a threat and place kicks better

I would strongly dispute that argument that Byrne place kicks better than O'Hagan. Granted you can argue other elements of the game that O'Hagan is a runner and more of a Tony Ward / Ian Madigan type player, but his kicking averages in the interpro's along with having played two full matches in Div 1b of the AIL must be in the high eighties/ninety percent bracket. Ask anyone who was at the game against Shannon on Saturday at Corinthians, he had 15 points for the second week in a row and may be the top scorer in that division now. Not bad for an 18 year old who has never played senior rugby before.

They will probably go for the safe option as we do not seem to like flair players at 10 in Ireland, but I think that over the last series of games in interpros and AIL, O'Hagan would definitely win the kicking argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

Terenure would have had a few interpros as well.

Munster website doesn't have all club results up from weekends opening u20 South West conference division 1 games but UL Bohs beat Sundays Well 31-8 and Garryowen beat Galwegians 67-8

Highfield also beat Park 32-0. 3-0 at half time in a very even opener but the gap began to grow in the second half with Highfield having a full squad out while 'Park only had 16 men. Can't imagine either side will be to near the top come the end of the season as we really flattered them in the second half. Better side definitely Won. We'll be missing 2 of our 3 Munster under 19 squad members but hopefully a few more lads can come back and strengthen the squad and hopefully be competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irelandrugger

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I would strongly dispute that argument that Byrne place kicks better than O'Hagan. Granted you can argue other elements of the game that O'Hagan is a runner and more of a Tony Ward / Ian Madigan type player, but his kicking averages in the interpro's along with having played two full matches in Div 1b of the AIL must be in the high eighties/ninety percent bracket. Ask anyone who was at the game against Shannon on Saturday at Corinthians, he had 15 points for the second week in a row and may be the top scorer in that division now. Not bad for an 18 year old who has never played senior rugby before.

They will probably go for the safe option as we do not seem to like flair players at 10 in Ireland, but I think that over the last series of games in interpros and AIL, O'Hagan would definitely win the kicking argument.

I know I said o'hagan is a better place kicker, I played with him this year and his kicking is immaculate, he's playing Corinthians seniors now and is growing with every game, I believe he will start ahead of Byrne for the jwc because he's starting for Corinthians seniors and he'll only develop further in the season ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

An Outhalf should not be picked on place kicking ability alone although being competent off the tee is no burden. The JWC XV will undoubtedly have a set of backs who are capable of playing a wide game. Having a 10 who uses what is available to him is of primary importance. Playing senior 1B AIL is a great achievement for an 18 year old but does not necessarily mean getting superior experience than for example playing with a pacy and talented set of backs like those with strong U-20 teams like UCD, Landsdowne and Terenure. A good 10 has to have the skill sets to do the basics well like kick for position, give no change to a marauding no. 8 coming down his channel etc but also has to have the vision to make the plays and use the talent around him by putting players into space. In the end, when it comes to choosing the 10, it comes down to the overall scorecard and who will get the most out of the players with the capacity to mount attacks.

wise7 wrote: »
    An Outhalf should not be picked on place kicking ability alone although being competent off the tee is no burden. The JWC XV will undoubtedly have a set of backs who are capable of playing a wide game. Having a 10 who uses what is available to him is of primary importance. Playing senior 1B AIL is a great achievement for an 18 year old but does not necessarily mean getting superior experience than for example playing with a pacy and talented set of backs like those with strong U-20 teams like UCD, Landsdowne and Terenure. A good 10 has to have the skill sets to do the basics well like kick for position, give no change to a marauding no. 8 coming down his channel etc but also has to have the vision to make the plays and use the talent around him by putting players into space. In the end, when it comes to choosing the 10, it comes down to the overall scorecard and who will get the most out of the players with the capacity to mount attacks.
    Of course an Outhalf isn't looked at for kicking off tee alone but it plays a significant role.
    O Hagan does the basics very well but most importantly gets the most of his teammates around him which is what you want from a playmaker.
    Playing AIL 1B is definitely much better experience than playing 20s even if it is with a very strong 20s side like UCD. Levels above 20s level

Some players involved in Irish set up may be leaked in next few days as the irish squad are in camp this week

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

wise7 wrote: »

I would agree with lots of what you are saying and all of what the lost sheep says. I don't think that I have seen anyone say that an out half should be picked on kicking alone, rather that the percentage strike rate which in O'Hagan's case is exceptional, should be a contributory factor. I was at the game v Shannon, his kicking duel with Tadhg Bennett was fascinating, some brilliant kicks and I would say that watching the big lad that is the Munster no.8 Paddy Butler running at young O'Hagan I was amazed at how he stood up to it, I can safely say that he gave no change to that marauding no.8 who was a formidable opponent. It is about vision and bringing people into play and Corinthians made better use of the ball that they had. I would add that for me the thing that stood out was the fact that O'Hagan looked to get people out of his channel a lot, he mixed his game up, giving it to his forwards, going wide with good dummy passes and can he spot a gap, he went through loads and the break at the end of the game to set up the last try involved a good 20m pass to his winger in space after running three quarters of the pitch to straighten and draw the full back. The big difference was his unpredictability, where as the Shannon 10 just passed it every time. With respect, playing in 1b senior AIL rugby is a way higher standard than U20. This was a really good game of rugby.

First Irish camp is tomorrow. Haven't heard a lot bar Brewer is involved in it after his injury. Also heard Oisin Heffernan didn't make it but the sub tight-head for Leinster did. Wouldn't read much into the first camp, a lot of injured or off the radar players will force there way into that squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Swords2

BillsBarn wrote: »
    8-5 to Leinster so far. Try scored by Ringrose of a well worked move, conversion missed. Ringrose got a pen too.

Cleary is still in school, so he isn't available to the 20s.

one of the best solo efforts i have seen in my life from the boy

Landsdowne under 20 team from the weekend:

1. Shane Delahunt
    2. Conor Kilcoyne
    3. Oisin Heffernan
    4. Stephen Gardiner
    5. Robbie Collins
    6. Raef Tyrrell
    7. Akhlaque Khan
    8. Ross Deacon
    9. Graham Lynch
    10. Conor McKeon
    11. Ian Fitzpatrick
    12. Tom Daly
    13. Ross Keller
    14. Simon Williams
    15. Eoghan Quinn

Bench:
    Jack Mckenna
    Denis Couslon
    Peter Dooley
    Nathan Veltom
    Jack O'Neill
    Tom Kiersey
    Darragh Henry
    James McCormack
    Ross Bailey-Kearney
    Cian Kelleher

Landsdowne under 20 team from the weekend:
    1. Shane Delahunt
    2. Conor Kilcoyne
    3. Oisin Heffernan
    4. Stephen Gardiner
    5. Robbie Collins
    6. Raef Tyrrell
    7. Akhlaque Khan
    8. Ross Deacon
    9. Graham Lynch
    10. Conor McKeon
    11. Ian Fitzpatrick
    12. Tom Daly
    13. Ross Keller
    14. Simon Williams
    15. Eoghan Quinn

Bench:
    Jack Mckenna
    Denis Couslon
    Peter Dooley
    Nathan Veltom
    Jack O'Neill
    Tom Kiersey
    Darragh Henry
    James McCormack
    Ross Bailey-Kearney
    Cian Kelleher
    That is a very very strong squad with the bench especially strong with likes of Dooley, Kiersey, O Neill, Kelleher to come in

Anyone hear anymore on irish squad?

• Advertisement

heard darragh moloney, max abbott, jacob knight and ross adair were involved.

Didn't know Conor Kilcoyne was still underage.

EDIT: Wait what? Is the club u20's a different cut-off from the provincial u20's?? Why is Tom Daly there?

not eligible for ireland or leinster, similar to Daly and Quinn.

heard darragh moloney, max abbott, jacob knight and ross adair were involved.
    Had heard Knights involvement but not any other names.
    Abbott has been in irish set up at 18s/19s as has Adair but don't think Knight or Moloney have
    Not for representative rugby as student 1990 says but underage for club rugby which has different age eligibility rules.

Had heard Knights involvement but not any other names.
    Abbott has been in irish set up at 18s/19s as has Adair but don't think Knight or Moloney have.

Darragh Moloney played for the 19s last year I think.

Darragh Moloney played for the 19s last year I think.
    Correct
    Just checked it(and had been at game) and he subbed behind SOB2 and Ross Molony in game v England

In Irish 20's camp about 40 players including Kelleher, Murphy, Timmins, R Byrne, G Lyons, Mc Keon, O'Shea, Fitzpatrick, R Molony, Dardis, Blade, Munster & Ulster 9's (Mc Carthy in attendance but didn't train)

Coalin Blade, Ryan Foley and Conor Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Surprised to see Brewer in there already. He was only 18 in March and hasn't played since the tail-end of last season. Are Robb and O'Loughlin still injured?

• Advertisement

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Surprised to see Brewer in there already. He was only 18 in March and hasn't played since the tail-end of last season. Are Robb and O'Loughlin still injured?
    Yeah it's strange alright, especially at centre since I don't rate him there compared to how effective he could be at 8 or 6. From what I was told, Robb will be playing for Old Belvedere 20s against Blackrock next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Yeah it's strange alright, especially at centre since I don't rate him there compared to how effective he could be at 8 or 6. From what I was told, Robb will be playing for Old Belvedere 20s against Blackrock next week.

Maybe Brewer played for Terenure 20's at the weekend and had a good game. They did beat Lansdowne which is a terrific result for them considering the strength of the Lansdowne squad someone posted

He was brought into the squad before that game though

you don't actually have to have played before they pick you, the squad was probably decided last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Maybe Brewer played for Terenure 20's at the weekend and had a good game. They did beat Lansdowne which is a terrific result for them considering the strength of the Lansdowne squad someone posted

Brewer didn't play for the 20s on Sunday, was just on the sideline, he hasn't trained fully yet so it must be just on his previous form?

Irish 20s have a game tomorrow morning in Wanderers rfc at 11am so if anyone has the time they will be able to see who is in set up and being looked at for 6Ns

• Advertisement

Heard they had a very high tempo non-stop 25 mins a side match in front of Joe S and senior coaching team.

This weekends fixtures :

Blackrock College RFC vs UCD
    Old Belvedere vs NUIM Barnhall
    St. Marys College RFC vs Old Wesley

Trinity College vs Terenure College RFC
    Lansdowne vs Greystones

Blackrock vs UCD will be a good game I'd imagine. From what I was told by Leinster coaches I know, Robb is making his first appearance for Old Belvedere since his injury in August that kept him out of the interpro's.

And the Munster Connacht fixtures for this weekend
    Buccaneers v Shannon
    Cork Con v Galwegians
    Garryowen v Highfield
    Sundays Well v NUIG-Corinthians
    Waterpark v UCC

Shannon, Con, Highfield, Da Well and UCC to win

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

This weekends fixtures :

Blackrock College RFC vs UCD
    Old Belvedere vs NUIM Barnhall
    St. Marys College RFC vs Old Wesley

Trinity College vs Terenure College RFC
    Lansdowne vs Greystones

Blackrock vs UCD will be a good game I'd imagine. From what I was told by Leinster coaches I know, Robb is making his first appearance for Old Belvedere since his injury in August that kept him out of the interpro's.

What was robb's injury? anyone else still injured?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭niallerm

What was robb's injury? anyone else still injured?

Robb tore a ligament in his finger.

O'Loughlin was out with a shoulder injury, unsure of his status.

Adam Byrne is injured currently.

Cian Kelleher came off the bench last weekend for ldowne's 1st team.

Brewer is back playing also.

• Advertisement

UCD u20 side from the weekend(won 61-0)

1 Ivan Soroka (Try)
    2 Dylan Donnellan
    3 Dermot Dolan
    4 Stuart O’Sullivan
    5 Ross Molony
    6 Josh Murphy
    7 David Fortune
    8 Peadar Timmins
    9 Bobby Holland (Capt) (Tryx2)
    10 Ross Byrne
    11 James Carroll (Try)
    12 Jack Hitchcock (Tryx2)
    13 Garry Ringrose (Try)
    14 Jonny McDonnell (Try)
    15 Billy Dardis
    16 James Roche
    17 Sean McNulty
    18 Oisin Tegeler
    19 Craig Kenny
    20 Robert Keenan (Try)
    21 Colm O’Corcoran
    22 Conor McQuaid

Ringrose kicked 21 points aswell, If Holland had not quit rep rugby he would be favourite to be Irish no.9 this year imo.

David Fortune is a player who impressed me a lot in the School's competition.

That sounds like the Leinster team !!!! UCD do some good recruiting

In fairness a lot of lads end up at UCD for college.. if you go to college at UCD your going to play for UCD.

8 lads from the leinster u20 team there, with a few more knocking around injured.

Dont exactly need to recruit.
    Such a big university and so many of top players look to play with college ahead of other clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

David Fortune is a player who impressed me a lot in the School's competition.
    Too small to make the step up IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Dont exactly need to recruit.
    Such a big university and so many of top players look to play with college ahead of other clubs

Please don't be so naive! UCD recruit top players very actively they give out sport scholarships to top players and talk with players before they submit their cao applications. They have a full time rugby staff that would rival Leinster and yes they get a lot of payers by default who play because they are in ucd but recruitment is a big part of their programme as it is indeed with most top clubs. Colleges just have a bit more clout as they can offer free college fees, accomadation, living expenses, tuition and flexible ourse schedules to the chosen ones. The main problem in ucd is that they have to many players they could easily field 3 20's teams and have done so in the past!

CGD wrote: »
    Please don't be so naive! UCD recruit top players very actively they give out sport scholarships to top players and talk with players before they submit their cao applications. They have a full time rugby staff that would rival Leinster and yes they get a lot of payers by default who play because they are in ucd but recruitment is a big part of their programme as it is indeed with most top clubs. Colleges just have a bit more clout as they can offer free college fees, accomadation, living expenses, tuition and flexible ourse schedules to the chosen ones. The main problem in ucd is that they have to many players they could easily field 3 20's teams and have done so in the past!
    Not being Naïve in the slightest.
    They get large amount of players due to being largest university in the country and I know all about accommodation, fee's etc that are offered.
    UCD do field 2 20s sides most seasons and should be fielding more with the numbers in the college.

So we know the Munster players involved in the camp that starts tomorrow. Is there any more official sources for players who have been invited up at 20s level. I know of plenty at under 18(clubs and schools) and under 19 but not many at under 20 level

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

CGD wrote: »

knowing people involved with ucd rugby I take exception to a number of your allegations. UCD have one full time rugby employee,hardly rivalling the 40-50 of leinster??? some of the benefits you describe are part of the elite scholar programme which benefits sport as a whole in the country across many disciplines. As far as I know the college pays a reasonable bursary to sports scholars,not the full fees,accomodation and living expenses that you suggest. I can assure you having watched the u20s train in ucd there is not enough players to field 3 teams. if you want to jab someone for not letting lads play Im quite sure lansdowne have scrapped their 2nds team for the 2nd year running despite a good number of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

lurtz wrote: »
    knowing people involved with ucd rugby I take exception to a number of your allegations. UCD have one full time rugby employee,hardly rivalling the 40-50 of leinster??? some of the benefits you describe are part of the elite scholar programme which benefits sport as a whole in the country across many disciplines. As far as I know the college pays a reasonable bursary to sports scholars,not the full fees,accomodation and living expenses that you suggest. I can assure you having watched the u20s train in ucd there is not enough players to field 3 teams. if you want to jab someone for not letting lads play Im quite sure lansdowne have scrapped their 2nds team for the 2nd year running despite a good number of players.

Why do they keep doing that?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement