Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welfare Fraud Roadblock Ahead!

• 09-08-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/chasing-the-cheats-my-day-with-the-welfare-fraud-police-29211815.html

Sorry for the old story, but I just became aware of these roadblocks from the other thread on 'gotcha' speeding fines.

Whilst I fully appreciate efforts to clamp down on Welfare Fraud, could someone clarify why on earth you would co-operate with roadside interrogation by a Government official. Surely stopping someone, pulling them out of the car seperately and then interrogating them cannot be constitutional?

Too far? I thinks so...what do you think AH?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

MadsL wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/chasing-the-cheats-my-day-with-the-welfare-fraud-police-29211815.html

Sorry for the old story, but I just became aware of these roadblocks from the other thread on 'gotcha' speeding fines.

Whilst I fully appreciate efforts to clamp down on Welfare Fraud, could someone clarify why on earth you would co-operate with roadside interrogation by a Government official. Surely stopping someone, pulling them out of the car seperately and then interrogating them cannot be constitutional?

If you didn't co-operate with the official, you'd lose your entitlements?

Now, if they were stopping genuine people going to work,,,you'd tell the numpty where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Something should be done, bla bla bla...........they better not inconvenience me, I'm far to important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Rightwing wrote: »
    If you didn't co-operate with the official, you'd lose your entitlements?

How would that be fair or just?? Papers please!! Is this Ireland or 30's Germany?
    ]Now, if they were stopping genuine people going to work,,,you'd tell the numpty where to go.

I believe they are stopping everyone...
    Senna wrote: »
    Something should be done, bla bla bla...........they better not inconvenience me, I'm far to important.

I'm asking how someone can be stopped on the road, when they have committed no traffic offence and then interrogated. Seems a bit much does it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

So the whole operation is based on asking people are they on their way to work and hoping they tell the truth?

Foolproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most building companies want to pay their work on the book. But any builder will tell you they cant get workers at an affordable rate as they want a high wage because they are far better off on benefit. Most of them wouldnt work for anything less than €650 a week on the books. So they either work off the books in cash or the Government needs to cuts benefit so people have an incentive to get a job again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Papers please!! Is this Ireland or 30's Germany?

nice. Godwinned in 4 posts.

(i agree with you all the same...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

hfallada wrote: »
    Most building companies want to pay their work on the book. But any builder will tell you they cant get workers at an affordable rate as they want a high wage because they are far better off on benefit. Most of them wouldnt work for anything less than €650 a week on the books. So they either work off the books in cash or the Government needs to cuts benefit so people have an incentive to get a job again.

It's that simple. But it isn't the social welfare rate; it's the allowances. Single, desperate mothers I'm looking at you. I pay a lot of taxes and don't get great healthcare while you guys get a house; **** that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Been stopped a few times by these
    The cop asks you the questions and the sw official hovers behind him checking stuff
    You have to tell a garda who you are and where you live and where you are going if you are driving
    Funnily I was only telling someone about this today

• Registered Users Posts: 8 koalabeard

Tigger wrote: »
    The cop asks you the questions and the sw official hovers behind him checking stuff
    You have to tell a garda who you are and where you live and where you are going if you are driving

They know most of this stuff from 500 metres away. The New reg plate reading system will tell them who owns what car etc. The more probable reason for these searches is putting the fear of God into the average Joe.

Funnily enough there is no law that requires you to answer questions other than name and address.

A simple "I don't wish to answer" and "am I being detained, guard, or am I free to go?"

and off you go.

Very legally suspect these roadblocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

You have to tell a garda who you are and where you live

True, if you stopped and asked you must tell them your name and address.
    and where you are going if you are driving

Not True, there is no obligation to tell them where your going, but probably easier than refusing as a refusal will make them suspicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

koalabeard wrote: »
    They know most of this stuff from 500 metres away. The New reg plate reading system will tell them who owns what car etc. The more probable reason for these searches is putting the fear of God into the average Joe.

Expect I think that less than 10 squad cars in the whole country have that ANPR equipment

Stinicker wrote: »
    Expect I think that less than 10 squad cars in the whole country have that ANPR equipment

All ten must be near me so.

Not True, there is no obligation to tell them where your going, but probably easier than refusing as a refusal will make them suspicious.

Will your name be added to a list, Tony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

They get the admission that you are going to work
    Reg plate won't tell them that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Funnily enough there is no law that requires you to answer questions other than name and address.

A simple "I don't wish to answer" and "am I being detained, guard, or am I free to go?"

and off you go.

Very legally suspect these roadblocks.

Are you some sort of legal professional? What makes these checkpoints legally suspect and what is unconstitutional about the methods used as reported in the article? I didn't see any mention of people being pulled out of cars. If they are legally suspect and unconstitutional it's very surprising to me that our lawyer friends haven't been all over them. Especially when they have been in operation since 1999 if not before.

I also fully appreciate efforts to clamp down on welfare fraud and I appreciate that these anti-fraud checkpoints have produced good results to that end.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dole-fraud-checkpoints-a-success-26155347.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/checkpoints-clamp-down-on-tax-and-benefit-cheats-29408487.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

They are designed to catch people. The guards can stop you but the only thing you have to tell them is your name and addresses. The rest is just fishing for information or hoping to trip people up and confess. You're not require to answer them. Just don't act up about and you be off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jester252 wrote: »
    They are designed to catch people. The guards can stop you but the only thing you have to tell them is your name and addresses. The rest is just fishing for information or hoping to trip people up and confess. You're not require to answer them. Just don't act up about and you be off.

Yes I would think they are designed to catch people. And they have caught people at least according to the Independent.

Yes I would think they are designed to catch people. And they have caught people at least according to the Independent.

That the beauty behind them. You don't need to collect evidence about them commit welfare fraud when they basically tell you that they are doing it. Easy collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

There was talk of doing this about 12 years ago. But I was under the impression it was aimed at the fellow with the roofrack and a ladder atop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I also fully appreciate efforts to clamp down on welfare fraud and I appreciate that these anti-fraud checkpoints have produced good results to that end.

+1

Do you not see we can't afford to dole out money to fraudsters any more, MadsL? We need to do everything possible to give welfare money only to people who really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So what if you are not claiming welfare, and are actually going to work.

Do do have a checklist of what to look out for, ie, some kind of profiling method.

They get the admission that you are going to work
    Reg plate won't tell them that

People won't tell the gards they're off to commit a crime. (Welfare fraud) Story doesn't add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is there no right to remain silent in Ireland? If a Garda asks you your name and address, what would happen if you simply replied "Have I committed an offence? Are you detaining me? I do not wish to provide any details unless I am suspected of having commited an offence. I wish to be on my way, may I leave now?"

Perhaps the driver legally has to provide name etc to prove he has a licence, but is it actually the law, or just something we all assume because it makes sense.

IS it true they are separating the driver from a passenger? Why would anyone even have to unlock the car doors? The driver could put the window down just a tiny bit to hear the Garda. I cant see why the passenger would even have to open their mouth at all, as if there was no offence being committed, surely they dont have to say a thing. Why would you potentially incriminate yourself by answering any questions.

I find these points of law so interesting, not because Im up to no good, but I just cannot stand the Government and the way everyone interferes with others lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Is there no right to remain silent in Ireland? If a Garda asks you your name and address, what would happen if you simply replied "Have I committed an offence? Are you detaining me? I do not wish to provide any details unless I am suspected of having commited an offence. I wish to be on my way, may I leave now?"

Perhaps the driver legally has to provide name etc to prove he has a licence, but is it actually the law, or just something we all assume because it makes sense.

IS it true they are separating the driver from a passenger? Why would anyone even have to unlock the car doors? The driver could put the window down just a tiny bit to hear the Garda. I cant see why the passenger would even have to open their mouth at all, as if there was no offence being committed, surely they dont have to say a thing. Why would you potentially incriminate yourself by answering any questions.

I find these points of law so interesting, not because Im up to no good, but I just cannot stand the Government and the way everyone interferes with others lives.

If they save 75k per day of an operation like this its we'll worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is there no right to remain silent in Ireland? If a Garda asks you your name and address, what would happen if you simply replied "Have I committed an offence? Are you detaining me?

Why wouldn't you answer the question if you did nothing wrong? People dodging these questions are likely to be very dodgy indeed. If you've done no wrong, you've nothing to fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Stinicker wrote: »

Majority of the Traffic Corps fleet have them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im not asking about the benefits of these stops. Im merely asking based on a point of law. Several forum members have posted stating that you "must" provide the Gardai with your name and address if asked. I do not believe this to be the case.

Im not even convinced that the Gardai are allowed to just stop people randomly with no cause. I thought as citizens we are entitled to our privacy and to go about our business without interruption by the Gardai unless suspected of having committed an offence.

Of course in most general day to day situations, it will almost certainly be easier to simply give your name and address and get on your way, but Im asking here about what the law is, not what makes life easier. If the Gardai are empowered to enforce the law, I expect them to adhere to it themselves. Has there been some provision, or some Act which makes it a criminal offence to refuse to provide your personal details in the event that you are not actually suspected of an offence, rather you have just been stopped because they are fishing for info in the hope they catch someone out. I think its wrong and I dont like the idea that they can delay citizens going about their business, in the hope they might stumble across a dodgy welfare claimant.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

A simple 'I don't answer questions' 'am I being charged' should do the trick.

Although I wish they did have more power to catch and charge the cheats.

(can they not do ya if you're in a work vehicle ... i heard some waffle about this)

Maybe get their mobile numbers off the database, call them, tell them a mate of a mate told you this guys a good tradesman and can he come along to a job. Catch them with their screwdriver in their hands, like some panorama program.

101 legal factors with that though, probably wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

unkel wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you answer the question if you did nothing wrong? People dodging these questions are likely to be very dodgy indeed. If you've done no wrong, you've nothing to fear.
    Well, either dodgy, or someone who's thought about what it means to live in a free country. Maybe being stopped and questioned to make sure they're not committing any crimes is a price some people aren't willing to pay. It can be irritating on a philosophical level for a lot of people. It's a big thing in the USA, plenty of people pissed about their 4th amendment rights being trampled on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I suspect a lot of people will have their guard down not expecting a welfare officer at a checkpoint and will just answer questions to be friendly and get on.As someone else said if they're fessing up to it it's an easy collar.All of these cases would probably have an appeals process I'd imagine.

It is a bit sneaky though in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is pretty bad that the Gardai are stopping people in order to try and catch people out. What about so called freedom? If I am walking down the road, or as in this case driving down the road, I nor anyone else should be randomly stopped :rolleyes:

Sure if the gardai are doing this then what's the job of social welfare investigators?

So they shouldn't have DUI checks or tax/insurance checks? The inspecter might have a list of suspected cars before going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So they shouldn't have DUI checks or tax/insurance checks? The inspecter might have a list of suspected cars before going out.

More likely checking names and addresses with the live register I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Balance my good man.

Let's look at things from two 'extreme' sides of the coin. One on you have no gardai check points what so ever (Nothing. Not even drink driving checkpoints etc etc) But on the other hand you cant go 200 metres without passing checkpoints. Checkpoints for everthing. Tax, Insurance, destination, are you on the social welfare etc.

Don't you think that there is a line that should be set, but not crossed? A balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm sure we all know a few of these boyos in fairness, cash in hand merchants. I often have to laugh at some of these people, uber patriots when in the pub but yet they steal double from their beloved state in dole and unpaid taxes. It's the bigger guys fault isn't it?:rolleyes: They're worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

There is nothing illegal about Garda roadblocks, and they can ask all the questions they want.
    So if you are stopped and you evade answers, that only makes you more suspicious, they will keep you there longer and will
    check out the entire car until something is found.
    Revenue, welfare and customs can piggyback onto garda checkpoints, nothing illegal about that either.

Are you some sort of legal professional?

Nope but I do believe investigations like this should be lawful.
    What makes these checkpoints legally suspect and what is unconstitutional about the methods used as reported in the article?
    Profiling people
    Stopping people going about their business as is their right.

You have a right to move freely within the State. The Constitution does not specifically state a right to privacy but the courts recognise that the personal rights in the Constitution imply the right to privacy. Source
    I didn't see any mention of people being pulled out of cars. If they are legally suspect and unconstitutional it's very surprising to me that our lawyer friends haven't been all over them. Especially when they have been in operation since 1999 if not before.

Many, many people do not know their rights.

I agree but don't you think that the State should behave constitionally and legally when it conducts such investigations?
    stoneill wrote: »
    There is nothing illegal about Garda roadblocks, and they can ask all the questions they want.

They can ask, but there is nothing in Irish law that says you must answer.
    So if you are stopped and you evade answers, that only makes you more suspicious, they will keep you there longer and will
    check out the entire car until something is found.

Evade..."I have nothing to say, may I go now?" is not evasion, it is a correct answer. A Guard has no legal right to interrogate anyone on the street.
    Revenue, welfare and customs can piggyback onto garda checkpoints, nothing illegal about that either.

They can listen all they want, but a guard asking the questions for Revenue does not mean anyone has a greater imperative to answer.

I thought Ireland is a free society and not one where its police and Governament Department were above the law.

The rights of the citizen should be held more precious than the expedience of trying to trick people into incriminating themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If the bizzies were out it :

1) must not have been raining

2) pool table must have been broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

One day a law will be brought in for people who would willingly damage the privacy rights of the public for their own safety and they'd be locked up.

You'd have nothing to fear then and be safe in your little cage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

if there was a child abduction or serial abuser in the area would you prefer the gardai created similar roadblocks and asked questions or would you prefer if the gardai were not allowed to ask questions and seek answers in order to ensure the driver/passenger is not the perp (same thing different crime)

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/the-data-trust-blog/2009/02/debunking-a-myth-if-you-have-n.html

How would you feel if you were interrogated as to your tax records
    whilst you were getting breathalysed?

Corkbah wrote: »
    if there was a child abduction or serial abuser in the area would you prefer the gardai created similar roadblocks and asked questions or would you prefer if the gardai were not allowed to ask questions and seek answers in order to ensure the driver/passenger is not the perp (same thing different crime)

What questions would you ask at a roadblock to determine if someone was a child abductor? Kidnap anyone lately?

Perp? Someone is watching too much TV.

Police probably would have a description of the person they were looking for and a vehicle type/colour. Thtat is usually how roadblocks are conducted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Don't be bloody ridiculous, so they're not interested in catching welfare cheats on their way to work, they just want to scare people. Grow up!

Nope but I do believe investigations like this should be lawful.

Profiling people
    Stopping people going about their business as is their right.

You have a right to move freely within the State. The Constitution does not specifically state a right to privacy but the courts recognise that the personal rights in the Constitution imply the right to privacy. Source

Many, many people do not know their rights.

I agree but don't you think that the State should behave constitionally and legally when it conducts such investigations?

They can ask, but there is nothing in Irish law that says you must answer.

Evade..."I have nothing to say, may I go now?" is not evasion, it is a correct answer. A Guard has no legal right to interrogate anyone on the street.

They can listen all they want, but a guard asking the questions for Revenue does not mean anyone has a greater imperative to answer.

I thought Ireland is a free society and not one where its police and Governament Department were above the law.

The rights of the citizen should be held more precious than the expedience of trying to trick people into incriminating themselves.

all of your reasons are why its so difficult to get a criminal convicted in this country .... because the Gardai must follow procedure to the letter of the law ...yet, if they did this there would be uproar, traffic cops would have fines for everyone in a bus lane, breaking an amber/red light, illegal parking (even if its only 5 mins)

We do not have the resources to enforce all the laws and "tactics"/"methods" are used to intimidate and get results - it wont catch everyone but I'd much rather if we had proper judges and proper sentencing for those that are caught.

point to note - in this country its rare for someone to actually plead guilty to a crime, because there is a chance that the prosecution made an error or someone made an error which can ruin the case (ie. Judge Curtain in Kerry, or the other child porn accused guy a few weeks ago - central bank official - who also had the incorrect date on the warrant :eek: so all evidence gathered is inadmissible), people do not plead guilty to murder in this country - because its automatic "life" and by having a trial there's a chance you can get off.

legal system has ruined the country and so have the "bleeding hearts" brigade who fight for the rights of the little person - and in many cases only see what they want to see (example pamela isevbekhai....years were spent on her legal battle to stay in the country - only to discover she was lying ...and we picked up the tab)

Even at the moment there is a case pending - long story short the guy is accused of hit and run - killing a child, after he did this (and the evidence supports that he did this) he went on a crime spree for several months - he has been convicted of the crime spree so when its conviction time for the hit and run - killing a child, his sentence will be concurrent to his jail sentence for the robberies ...he will serve no extra time in jail - he is using and abusing the system ...but on the face of it, he was just a criminal committing crimes - he was not charged with the hit'n'run prior to committing his robberies so as far as the legal system is concerned its completely unrelated and the sentencing will be concurrent - absolute joke in my opinion.

fundamentally I agree with you - the Gardai/government in this country cant really be trusted, but what choice do we have .... no matter who we vote for the politicians will get in !! .... every system in the country needs an overhaul, too much nepotism and jobs for the boys .... not enough qualified people in positions capable of making change) .... it works on both sides ... there are hundreds/thousands of people abusing the systems available and there are hundreds/thousands of incompetents working in the system not capable of/able to stop them.

for Social Welfare - why give out money - give out vouchers for food, this will help stop people abusing the monies received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

It's that simple. But it isn't the social welfare rate; it's the allowances. Single, desperate mothers I'm looking at you. I pay a lot of taxes and don't get great healthcare while you guys get a house; **** that!

Eh excuse me? Please inform yourself! Over 50% of single parents do NOT claim benefits. Of the 50% that do, over half also work part time (as they are eligible to do).

I'm a single mother, I'm not "desperate" whatever that means. I work full time and nobody gave me a house.

So quit your mindless generalisations. So sick of this crap. Working my ass off to provide for a child the same as everyone else only to be looked down on and generalised about by people who haven't the faintest idea of what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

People won't tell the gards they're off to commit a crime. (Welfare fraud) Story doesn't add up.

If they stop a van with three lads inside it all in work clothes and the van full of tools, it's sort of hard for them to claim they weren't at/ on theyr way to work. The SW person then cross refs their details against their database to see if any if them are in receipt of welfare. They're not expecting people to tell them they're working and claiming dole. You need to think outside the box every now and then.

CJC999 wrote: »
    If they stop a van with three lads inside it all in work clothes and the van full of tools, it's sort of hard for them to claim they weren't at/ on theyr way to work. The SW person then cross refs their details against their database to see if any if them are in receipt of welfare. They're not expecting people to tell them they're working and claiming dole. You need to think outside the box every now and then.

so its ok for office workers to abuse the system ...just not construction workers or hands on labour ?

dress in a nice suit or jeans/shirt and everything will be ok - anyone can change clothes when they get to work.

Corkbah wrote: »
    all of your reasons are why its so difficult to get a criminal convicted in this country .... because the Gardai must follow procedure to the letter of the law ...yet, if they did this there would be uproar, traffic cops would have fines for everyone in a bus lane, breaking an amber/red light, illegal parking (even if its only 5 mins)

Gardai must follow procedure to the letter of the law to protect the innocent.
    We do not have the resources to enforce all the laws and "tactics"/"methods" are used to intimidate and get results - it wont catch everyone but I'd much rather if we had proper judges and proper sentencing for those that are caught

West Midlands police had a similar "tactics"/"methods" to catch IRA bombers. ;) They caught 6 if you remember.
    point to note - in this country its rare for someone to actually plead guilty to a crime, because there is a chance that the prosecution made an error or someone made an error which can ruin the case (ie. Judge Curtain in Kerry, or the other child porn accused guy a few weeks ago - central bank official - who also had the incorrect date on the warrant :eek: so all evidence gathered is inadmissible), people do not plead guilty to murder in this country - because its automatic "life" and by having a trial there's a chance you can get off.

The right to a trial is pretty fundamental I would have thought?

legal system has ruined the country and so have the "bleeding hearts" brigade who fight for the rights of the little person - and in many cases only see what they want to see (example pamela isevbekhai....years were spent on her legal battle to stay in the country - only to discover she was lying ...and we picked up the tab)

Abolish the legal system? Mob rule?
    fundamentally I agree with you - the Gardai/government in this country cant really be trusted, but what choice do we have .... no matter who we vote for the politicians will get in !! .... every system in the country needs an overhaul, too much nepotism and jobs for the boys .... not enough qualified people in positions capable of making change)

Errr...OK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Only people with something to hide need fear this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement