Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to college in Sallynoggin, advice on where to live?

Options
  • 10-08-2013 2:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads and ladies,

28 (29 on the 18th) year old guy from the midlands moving to Dublin to do a level 5 in youthwork in Sallynoggin and looking for advice on where would be the best blend of not to expensive rent wise, has a decent bus service to town or is on the dart line and isn't an absolute dive?

And ideas?

I dunno if you allow this sort of thing here, but sure feck it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Getting to Sallynoggin on public transport can be tricky. There's only really 2 bus services, the 7 and the 45A.
    7 goes from City Centre to Loughlinstown, and the 45A goes from Dun Laoghaire to Bray. Both via Sallynoggin.

Your budget is going to affect a decision as well. Renting around the Dun Laoghaire borough isnt cheap if you are looking for somewhere decent. Actually its not cheap even for the not so decent bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The 111 goes through sallynoggin as well.

Central Dun Laoghaire is probably the best bet, or Rochestown Ave.

Is the 111 still running? Thought they'd done away with that but not sure why I thought that!

Sallynoggin itself is a grand spot but lacks a decent pub. Glenageary would be grand as easy walk to sallynoggin college, by the dart, walk to dun laoghaire or Dalkey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pretty sure the 46A goes from town to Sallynoggin too via DL, so I guess that gives me options along that line as well.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pretty sure the 46A goes from town to Sallynoggin too via DL, so I guess that gives me options along that line as well.

46a doesn't go through Sallynoggin, would drop you about a 15 minute walk away from college.

• Advertisement

what's your budget for renting seaneh? are you looking for a house share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

had a friend who lived in digs while attending sallynoggin college. she lived only 5 mins walking distance from the college. as far as i know the college have a list of houses in the area which will take you in. you should inquire in the college

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is the 111 still running? Thought they'd done away with that but not sure why I thought that!

Sallynoggin itself is a grand spot but lacks a decent pub.
    There are only 5 of those buses a day now, only weekdays
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/111/

There is the noggin inn, or bakers corner & the graduate pub are within walking distance, which I would prefer over the noggin inn. Dun laoghaire is close too, and dalkey is not too far.

I would get a bicycle to get around, no parking issues means it typically takes less time to get from A to B overall.
    ricero wrote: »
    as far as i know the college have a list of houses in the area which will take you in. you should inquire in the college
    I would say lots of houses in the area might be looking to take people in. I know of 2 guys in different houses who live very near the college and have room.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

If the college can't help, try the Dun Laoghaire College of Art - I'm pretty sure they have a list.

rubadub wrote: »
    There are only 5 of those buses a day now, only weekdays
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/111/

There is the noggin inn, or bakers corner & the graduate pub are within walking distance, which I would prefer over the noggin inn. Dun laoghaire is close too, and dalkey is not too far.

I would get a bicycle to get around, no parking issues means it typically takes less time to get from A to B overall.

I would say lots of houses in the area might be looking to take people in. I know of 2 guys in different houses who live very near the college and have room.

Hey, feel free to pass on their details to me if you can or ask them if it's ok to do so?

• Advertisement

what's your budget for renting seaneh? are you looking for a house share?

Unfotrunately enough, 350ish, 400 at the very most, but realistically, as cheap as possible once I'm not sharing a room.

Definitely looking for a house share as it's the most affordable option between rent, utilities and the likes.

46a doesn't go through Sallynoggin, would drop you about a 15 minute walk away from college.

Yeah, just saw the route there, no idea why I thought it does!

The 7 and 7a from town do though, so there are options in that regard.

I actually plan to cycle as often as possible but would like a bus/dart option if I'm feeling unwell/the weather is too severe (if we have a winter like 2-3 years ago!) and so on.

Well I'll keep my ear out for rooms within the area. I grew up in Sallynoggin!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yeah, just saw the route there, no idea why I thought it does!

The 7 and 7a from town do though, so there are options in that regard.

I actually plan to cycle as often as possible but would like a bus/dart option if I'm feeling unwell/the weather is too severe (if we have a winter like 2-3 years ago!) and so on.

There is no 7a anymore.

The bus routes operating through Sallynoggin are 7 and 111.

The 45a operates along the Sallynoggin Road and Rochestown Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Have a look in the IADT forum, theres usually a thread with people organising house shares etc! Both colleges are quite close and if ya wouldn't mind a cycle your sorted! And both 46a and 7 buses are quite reliable! Around Rochestown area would be ideal as your in walking distance to college and both 46a and 7 bus stops into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Unfotrunately enough, 350ish, 400 at the very most, but realistically, as cheap as possible once I'm not sharing a room.

Definitely looking for a house share as it's the most affordable option between rent, utilities and the likes.

Daft is showing a room for €85 per week in Watson's Ave which despite being called Killiney is perfect for you. It would be a ten minute cycle to college, the 7 bus is close by and the Graduate pub and Killiney shopping centre are ten minute walk one direction and Tesco ten minutes the other.

Advertisement