Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinguish right of way?

Options
  • 10-08-2013 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Was on the Dublin Road near Louisa Bridge tonight and noticed the attached planning notice on the road. The council are applying to extinguish the right of way on the R148 between Kellystown Lane and Intel (see attachment). This is the main regional road linking Maynooth and Leixlip (see map attached - the section between the L1014 and the R449 is the section they want to remove as a public right of way.

How can they remove a right of way on a regional road? I can only assume that this is related to the Intel/IDA land grab of Tony Reid's farm. A verdict is due in the High Court later this month on this but it seems the council are preempting it. Even if it isn't it needs to be fought - how does the council think it can sneak this through? It's not even on the Kildare Coco site - at least I can't find it.

I've already mailed John McGinley and I'll be mailing the rest of the local councillors and TDs tomorrow as well as other potential candidates in next year's local elections. I'll also be objecting in writing to the Officer mentioned in the planning notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Orion wrote: »
    How can they remove a right of way on a regional road?

Well if theyre anything to do with the shower in government Im not the slightest surprised .They treat the citizens with contempt in their quest to line their own pockets and those of their business cronies.

Lord God!I thought you meant some back lane like Kellystown Lane .You mean the old main road between Lidl, Leixlip and where the strawberry seller has their stand ???!!!Right outside their main entrance ?They have some brass balls !!!!Even if they were providing 10,000 new jobs that would be a bit of an ask .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It is for the Intel works. Seemingly a new temporary road is to be built just south of the main road while the works are going on. I'm very skeptical of this. I don't see why a right of way needs to be extinguished. Seems a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Maybe I'm being cynical but history has shown how often local and national government bend over and take it from big business. If the right of way is extinguished what's to stop Intel from then acquiring the road permanently - of course they'd get the IDA to do their dirty work but the result would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Extinguishment of right of way R148 . . It was posted on the 2nd August apparently.
    KILDARE COUNTY COUNCIL
    PROPOSED EXTINGUISHMENT OF
    PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY
    (Under SECTION 73 OF THE ROADS ACT, 1993)
    Over a Section of the R148 Leixlip – Maynooth regional road between the junction of the L1014 Kellystown Lane and the roundabout at the junction of the R449 and the R148
    Notice is hereby given that Kildare County Council, in accordance with the provisions of Section 73 of the Roads Act, 1993, proposes to make an order extinguishing the public rights of way at: a section of the R148 Leixlip – Maynooth regional road between the junction of the L1014 Kellystown Lane and the roundabout at the Junction of the R449 and the R148)

Drawings showing the proposed extinguishment of public right of way may be inspected at the public counter in the Transportation Department on Level 4 at the address below during office hours (9.oo a.m. to 5.oo p.m. Monday to Friday excluding public holidays) and at Leixlip Public Library during normal opening hours for a period of one month from Tuesday 6 August 2013.

Objections or representations relating to the above mentioned proposed extinguishment may be made in writing to the Senior Executive Officer, Transportation Department, on Level 4 at the address below. The latest date for receipt of such objections or representations is 12 noon on Wednesday 2 October 2013.

Any person making an objection or representation within the foregoing period may make a request, in writing, to state their case at an oral hearing to be conducted by a person appointed by Kildare County Council for that purpose.

Seemingly a new temporary road is to be built just south of the main road while the works are going on.

This is the press release for that.

Part 8 Temporary R148 Realignment Maynooth Road
    PLANNING and DEVELOPMENT ACT 2000 (as amended)
    PLANNING and DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2001-2012 (PART 8)

Temporary R148 Road Realignment

Leixlip – Maynooth Road, Leixlip

Pursuant to the requirements of the above, notice is hereby given of the proposal to temporarily realign a section of the R148 Leixlip - Maynooth regional road between the R449/R148 roundabout and the L1014 (Kellystown Lane) approximately 800m to the west of the R449/R148 roundabout. The proposed realigned road will maintain the link between Maynooth and Leixlip while safely facilitating construction work on adjacent industrial lands.

A section of the rerouted road will pass through the curtilage of a protected structure – Collinstown House (RPS no. B11-117). It is proposed to temporarily dismantle a section of the wall of Collinstown House (RPS no. B11-117) to facilitate the construction of the temporary road.
    In accordance with S. I. 476, 2011, Section 250, Planning and Development

(Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2011 Kildare County Council has determined that an Appropriate Assessment is not required.
    Plans and particulars of the proposed Part 8 scheme will be available for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy during normal opening hours from Tuesday the 6 August until Tuesday 17 of September 2013 at the following locations:Roads and Transportation

Kildare County Council Roads & Transport Department:
    (Level 4), Kildare County Council,
    at the address below.

Leixlip Library
    Captains Hill
    Leixlip
    Co. Kildare.

Plans and particulars of the proposed scheme will also be available to view on Kildare County Council’s website at www.kildare.ie/countycouncil
    Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and development of the area in which the proposed development would be situated may be made in writing to:
    Senior Executive Officer,
    Roads, Transport & Public Safety,
    Level 4, at the address below
    on or before 12.00 noon Wednesday 2 of October 2013.
    Submissions should be headed:

“Temporary R148 Road Realignment

Leixlip – Maynooth Road”

All comments, including names of those making comments, submitted to the Council in regard to this scheme will form part of the statutorily required report to be presented to the monthly meeting of Kildare County Council. Accordingly they will also be included in the minutes of that meeting and may appear in the public domain.

Kildare County Council propose to extinguish the public rights of way on a section of the R148 between the junction of the L1014 (Kellystown Lane) and the roundabout at the junction of the R449 and the R148. A separate public consultation process, as prescribed by Section 73 of the Roads Act, 1993 will commence on Tuesday 6 August with the closing date for receipt of objections or representations being 12 noon on Wednesday 2October 2013.

To me the obvious question is

If the closure (Extinguishment of right of way) of part of the main road is permanent and the "bypass" is temporary then what happens in the long term?

It might be better to view the plans and particulars in the Library before jumping to conclusions.

I'll also be objecting in writing to the Officer mentioned in the planning notice.

Better be polite :pac:
    All comments, including names of those making comments...may appear in the public domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

I'm a bit confused as to what this actually means...how can they remove public right of way on the main linking road between two places? This is a fairly major road as well as the public transport route. If the Intel works are temporary, why extinguish the right of way?

brian_t wrote: »
    Extinguishment of right of way R148 . .
    KILDARE COUNTY COUNCIL
    PROPOSED EXTINGUISHMENT OF
    PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY
    (Under SECTION 73 OF THE ROADS ACT, 1993)
    Over a Section of the R148 Leixlip – Maynooth regional road between the junction of the L1014 Kellystown Lane and the roundabout at the junction of the R449 and the R148
    Notice is hereby given that Kildare County Council, in accordance with the provisions of Section 73 of the Roads Act, 1993, proposes to make an order extinguishing the public rights of way at: a section of the R148 Leixlip – Maynooth regional road between the junction of the L1014 Kellystown Lane and the roundabout at the Junction of the R449 and the R148)

Drawings showing the proposed extinguishment of public right of way may be inspected at the public counter in the Transportation Department on Level 4 at the address below during office hours (9.oo a.m. to 5.oo p.m. Monday to Friday excluding public holidays) and at Leixlip Public Library during normal opening hours for a period of one month from Tuesday 6 August 2013.

Had a look at this in the library and the folder contains only a copy of the above notice and a map. Nothing else only those 2 items.

I also had a look at the other Planning Proposal for the temporary road. This one contains lots of reports and lots of reading.
    These works are temporary and the realligned road will be removed upon completion of the works to the R148 Road.

It also says
    For clarity it is proposed that the public right of way to the affected section of the R148 will be extinguished for the period that the realligned section of the R148 is in operation.

So the PROPOSED EXTINGUISHMENT OF PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY are only temporary.

But the word temporary is not mentioned in the above notice.

It also gives no indication of the time frame involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never seen this done before for temporary realignments - but there's a chance its being done to prevent timewasting legal challenges. Leixlip has a few people fond of those!

MYOB wrote: »
    I've never seen this done before for temporary realignments !

I haven't seen it done either but the temporary road will be a full proper road.

There will be a roundabout in the middle of it to coincide with the entrance of Intel. There will be a 4 lane carriageway on the Leixlip side of the roundabout and 2 lanes on the Maynooth side.

(4 lane carriageway = 2 lanes both ways)

According to John the right of way will be reinstated after the works. I'm told it's being extinguished for Health and Safety reasons to prevent people using it. tbh I don't buy that at all. The council has it well within its power to block access to rights of way temporarily for works reasons. Parsons St right now is a perfect example of that.

Call me a cynic but I don't trust Intel or, more specifically, the IDA - my gut tells me that this land that is no longer a public way will end up in private ownership. The IDA's treatment of Tony Reid has been reprehensible and I hope he wins his case against them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to Intel expanding - it's a great jobs boost for the site, builders and ancillary services - but it's the nature of the beast that if they see an opportunity they'll seize it.

Thanks for the link brian_t - I couldn't find it on the site.

• Advertisement

266927.png

Apologies to Orion for vandalising their map but I have shown (approximately) the new Temporary road in red and the Extinguished Right of Way in yellow.

Vandalise away - it's not my map :D

Have there been any recent announcements from Intel regarding their plans.

This is from March.
    THERE are no immediate plans for Intel to invest in its campus at Leixlip, despite the company receiving planning permission for significant new developments at the plant.

A company spokesperson told Electric.ie:

“It is correct that there are no immediate plans and Intel is not announcing any new investment at the Ireland campus. Planning applications are part of our regular business practice to ensure preparation and readiness and it is a prudent measure for the company to have flexible options available which allow us to be responsive in our manufacturing operations”.

Electric.ie Magazine Mar / April 2013

According to John the right of way will be reinstated after the works.

Why is the word TEMPORARY not mentioned anywhere on the PROPOSED EXTINGUISHMENT OF PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY notice ?

Why is there no information given in that Planning File except for a Map and a copy of the Public Notice.

(at least not in the copy available for viewing in Leixlip library)

(the information posted in #8 above came from the Temporary Road Planning File)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sad news but I suppose the 'greater good' case is strong enough here . I sincerely hope he is left financially a very rich man even though you can't put a price on some things ...

There are a lot of farmers who would love to sell their farms for Industrial development and then buy another farm 3 or 4 times larger somewhere else.
    2011abc wrote: »
    I sincerely hope he is left financially a very rich man even though you can't put a price on some things ...

If he hadn't delayed the inevitable he might have got a better price for the land some years ago.

And in relation to tax. Threshholds have been dropping and tax rates have been rising. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Has anyone got a copy of the High Court Judgement in that case?

vektarman wrote: »

That is an absolute disgrace. Forcing someone out of their home that has housed their family for generation to make way for a fcuking carpark! Joni Mitchell had it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

That is an absolute disgrace. Forcing someone out of their home that has housed their family for generation to make way for a fcuking carpark! Joni Mitchell had it right.

Where did you get car park from?

• Advertisement

The council are applying to extinguish the right of way on the R148 between Kellystown Lane and Intel.
    Seemingly a new temporary road is to be built just south of the main road while the works are going on.

Both of these have got the goahead
    At a meeting on 22 November, Celbridge area members gave the goahead to the creation of the new stretch between the the R148 junction with the R449 and the L1014 local road, known as Kellystown lane.
    At the same meeting, the area councillors agreed to the extinguishment of a public right of way at the R148, which will be replaced by the temporary road.

New road to aid Intel investment effort

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is the house with the paper signs outside it! I never manged to read them but did wonder

Be interesting to see the judgement, considering the appeal grounds were unusual to say the least. If its been found that CPOs do infringe constitutional rights we're unlikely to see any major road or rail projects happening ever again.

The signs are illegible from the road and I've always been wary about stopping to read them as I don't want a conversation with him about them!

Haven't seen the judgement obviously but I imagine it will be constitutional property rights. There is a huge difference between taking a piece of land at the edge of property for a road/rail project and taking all of someone's land including the family home. If this is the judgement then I can't see it impacting on projects like those.

Haven't seen the judgement obviously but I imagine it will be constitutional property rights. There is a huge difference between taking a piece of land at the edge of property for a road/rail project and taking all of someone's land including the family home. If this is the judgement then I can't see it impacting on projects like those.

Most if not all motorway schemes involve demolishing a number of houses. The recently opened section of the M11 took out four detached houses beside each other at one end alone, I didn't see the rest of the route to know.

Widenings etc usually take strips of land; but houses have been CPOed by the state for decades.

Were those houses CPOed or bought without a CPO? If a motorway was suddenly going to be going by my house I'd be happy to sell at the current market rate and move. CPO is a last refuge not a default position.

Were those houses CPOed or bought without a CPO? If a motorway was suddenly going to be going by my house I'd be happy to sell at the current market rate and move. CPO is a last refuge not a default position.

Pretty much universally CPOed as that gets you 'reasonable expenses', e.g. your legal costs for the sale and next purchase, and moving costs on the new house. Possibly even the stamp duty on the new house, not sure of that one.

You always wait to get the CPO unless its a falling market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/1105/739823-farmer-land/

It seems to be because they had no particular plan for the land.

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/1105/739823-farmer-land/

It seems to be because they had no particular plan for the land.

If that's the case, its realistically just going to mean they come back in a few years with a CPO due to having solid plans really. Buying time but not stopping the eventual forced sale.

Its pretty obvious who the land was actually intended for, but obviously they weren't willing to have their name put to it...

Advertisement