Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinguish right of way?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

L1011 wrote: »
    If that's the case, its realistically just going to mean they come back in a few years with a CPO due to having solid plans really. Buying time but not stopping the eventual forced sale.

Its pretty obvious who the land was actually intended for, but obviously they weren't willing to have their name put to it...

Who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Who ?

Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Was Reid not offered market value before? Or even above market value and he refused, saying he wanted more.

Then the arse fell out of the market and he was offered a LOT less and again refused.

Then the CPO was brought in.

I could be wrong but I was told that by a number of different sources

Was Reid not offered market value before? Or even above market value and he refused, saying he wanted more.

Then the arse fell out of the market and he was offered a LOT less and again refused.

Then the CPO was brought in.

I could be wrong but I was told that by a number of different sources

He was, however all I'd heard was that he doesn't want to sell though, not that he asked for more. The reason the IDA tried to buy this at normal sale first was because the CPO process for the IDA hadn't been used for years and - as you see now - was ultimately unsuccessful

The CPO process for councils and the TII (former NRA/RPA) is used constantly and is the standard way they operate. It ensures that the person being forced to see is put right for their costs as well as the value and also stops them having someone demanding insane multiples of real value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Intel already had plans made up for a new fab to go on this land.
    I wonder would this be enough to make them choose one of the alternative sites (Israel etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Israel already has 5 or 6 sites. They can only produce so much there as its getting a Little unstable.

They will always need fabs in Ireland as otherwise they won't have a site in Europe to avail of tax breaks. The problem is the land all needs to be joined together, it can't even be a mile away aparently.

If Intel ireland want to expand again this is their only location. I think his days are numbered as technically Intel could reduce the ireland site to 500 people and one old fab if they wanted to. It would be a huge loss for employees and the area.

There's limited reason they couldn't put a fab over with the chip design site in Shannon, if they wanted to.

However, the entire reason this CPO was rejected was the non identification of a purpose for the land. New process saying its for Intel is likely to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

There is , the fab has to be on very specific type of land. Shannon may not be suitable. Also it would require relocating a thousand engineers from dublin to the middle of nowhere and that costs a lot of money.

There is , the fab has to be on very specific type of land. Shannon may not be suitable. Also it would require relocating a thousand engineers from dublin to the middle of nowhere and that costs a lot of money.

Nobody needs to move if its an additional fab as opposed to a replacement. Training for new processes already has them pay for people to spend up to a year in Oregon, so an alternative site in Ireland would still be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They will always need fabs in Ireland as otherwise they won't have a site in Europe to avail of tax breaks. The problem is the land all needs to be joined together, it can't even be a mile away aparently.

If Intel ireland want to expand again this is their only location. I think his days are numbered as technically Intel could reduce the ireland site to 500 people and one old fab if they wanted to. It would be a huge loss for employees and the area.
    There is plenty of land behind Intel on the far side of the Rye. From memory, Intel owned (and possibly still do) quite a lot of it.

Advertisement