Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toro Timemaster Lawnmower

• 10-08-2013 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

My 21 inch Hayter (great mower) was just too slow - spent hours cutting the lawn.

Decided it was time for a ride-on. But I would have to keep my 21 inch Hayter as well, because I have many closely spaced shrubs.

But I was persuaded to try the Toro Timemaster - a 30 inch (76cm) wide walk-behind, with twin blades. Great mower: has halved (almost) my mowing time and it is maneuverable enough to ditch the 21 inch mower too. And it is narrow enough to fit through the door of my shed.

Can mulch or collect (large bag at rear, just like a conventional mower).

Much cheaper than a ride-on: €1,500 list price: would have got it for €1,350 on a straight deal. However, I was able to trade in the Hayter (just over 2 years old), so got it for €1,000.

It takes about 30 minutes to master it - it is much heavier than your standard 21 inch. But once you get used to it, using it is a doddle. It's my first mower that I can drive across gravel driveways, without the blade turning - it has that clutch brake thing - really very useful.

For those of you considering a ride-on, it might be worth having a look at.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i take it, you sell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Interesting post OP but I agree with fryup you must be selling them. The reviews on Amazon.com are very mixed and the poor ones have all the same complaints so I'd tend to believe them. http://www.amazon.com/Timemaster-190cc-Briggs-Personal-Mower/product-reviews/B007A30OOM/

It really doesn't look like a mower for Irish conditions very poor power for the width of cut and the grass box is a joke on that size of mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Absolutely not in any way involved in selling them. Or selling anything else for that matter. All I am doing is bringing the mower to other peoples attention. It might suit them - it certainly suits me. And I find it works very well. Your comment re the size of the grass box - it is as heavy as you could manually handle, when full. Particularly if the grass is damp.

I came across it for the first time last month - I was not aware that such a mower existed. For all I know, other makers (apart from Toro) may be selling them as well.

Your assumption that I must be selling a product, just because I praised it, is over the top. If I had your mindset, I could equally accuse you of rubbishing the product because you were selling a rival one.

Anyway, this mower suits me. It is new on the market and people may not know about. That is the sole motivation of my post.

The market for this mower, I suggest, is for people with about a maximum 0.5 acre of grass to cut (like me), particularly if it is interspersed with shrubs which are too closely spaced for a ride-on to operate. Cutting 0.5 acres with a 21 inch mower is very time consuming. It also means that you would not have to have both a ride-on and a smaller conventional mower as well.

It costs much less to purchase that a ride-on and would have lower maintenance costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Absolutely not in any way involved in selling them. Or selling anything else for that matter. All I am doing is bringing the mower to other peoples attention. It might suit them - it certainly suits me. And I find it works very well. Your comment re the size of the grass box - it is as heavy as you could manually handle, when full. Particularly if the grass is damp.

I came across it for the first time last month - I was not aware that such a mower existed. For all I know, other makers (apart from Toro) may be selling them as well.

Your assumption that I must be selling a product, just because I praised it, is over the top. If I had your mindset, I could equally accuse you of rubbishing the product because you were selling a rival one.

Anyway, this mower suits me. It is new on the market and people may not know about. That is the sole motivation of my post.

The market for this mower, I suggest, is for people with about a maximum 0.5 acre of grass to cut (like me), particularly if it is interspersed with shrubs which are too closely spaced for a ride-on to operate. Cutting 0.5 acres with a 21 inch mower is very time consuming. It also means that you would not have to have both a ride-on and a smaller conventional mower as well.

It costs much less to purchase that a ride-on and would have lower maintenance costs.

I would have thought a mower that size would do an acre plus easily.

After all I cut over an acre for customers all the time with 21" mower.

What size is the grass bag out if interest because I can't find the info online even on the toro site.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I would have thought a mower that size would do an acre plus easily.

After all I cut over an acre for customers all the time with 21" mower.

What size is the grass bag out if interest because I can't find the info online even on the toro site.

It is either 80 or 85 litres. When it is full of damp grass, it is at the limit of what you can comfortably handle. Any bigger and you could finish up with back problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Poulgorm wrote: »
    It is either 80 or 85 litres. When it is full of damp grass, it is at the limit of what you can comfortably handle. Any bigger and you could finish up with back problems

Yes good size and plenty heavy enough when full like you say, it is the same size as on my 21" Honda mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Yes good size and plenty heavy enough when full like you say, it is the same size as on my 21" Honda mower.

I got one of these toro's as well last year as didnt want/need a ride on and must say im very happy with it. Compared to a 21 inch width it really saves time walking. As long as grass is dry and u dont leave it over grow this machine flies through it and packs the bag well. Will struggle to bag damp grass but then I think most mowers will. Ive stopped trying to bag wet grass and wait now for it to dry even if it means leaving it a few extra days. Ends up an easier job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

tomred1N wrote: »
    I got one of these toro's as well last year as didnt want/need a ride on and must say im very happy with it. Compared to a 21 inch width it really saves time walking. As long as grass is dry and u dont leave it over grow this machine flies through it and packs the bag well. Will struggle to bag damp grass but then I think most mowers will. Ive stopped trying to bag wet grass and wait now for it to dry even if it means leaving it a few extra days. Ends up an easier job.

Hey Tomred1N, do you mulch with the timemaster 30'' ?
    I have been looking at these for a while and still havent decided if I want one. It currently takes me 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to mow my lawn with a 21'' mower (its not even a self propelled).
    Can you advise where you got yours & cost ? You can do so by PM if you want.
    Thanks.. Mitch

My opening post will give you the cost.
    Bought it at John O'Riordan, Ballincollig, Co Cork.
    I don't mulch, so can't help there. It's meant to be able to mulch - the attachments for it are included.

I used to mulch with a previous mower, but I gave it up - dirty job. Also, the kids were bringing green stains into the house - from their shoes.

I have been looking at these for a while and still havent decided if I want one. It currently takes me 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to mow my lawn with a 21'' mower (its not even a self propelled).
    Thanks.. Mitch
    Hey mitch,
    I dont mulch with it but it has the attachment. It has 2 blades so when bag gets blocked or full sometimes I dont know cuase it will mulch when shute is blocked. Takes me about 30-40 mins to do a hilly 1/4 acre. Most time is spent emptying bag. Cost me 1280 from lawnmower man , spur hill near cork city. Quicker than id do it with a ride on given the gradient/u shape of my lawn. Also far less costly to buy and maintain than a ride on.

• Advertisement

Thanks.. Mitch
    Hey mitch,
    I dont mulch with it but it has the attachment. It has 2 blades so when bag gets blocked or full sometimes I dont know cuase it will mulch when shute is blocked. Takes me about 30-40 mins to do a hilly 1/4 acre. Most time is spent emptying bag. Cost me 1280 from lawnmower man , spur hill near cork city. Quicker than id do it with a ride on given the gradient/u shape of my lawn. Also far less costly to buy and maintain than a ride on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Thanks Poulgorm & Tomred1N for all the info. I prefer to mulch as I'd rather not compost the old grass. If I started piling it up I'd have a mountain of gass before the summer was out. I dont have a toe-bar on the car either so bringing it via trailer to the recycling centre would be a non runner.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement