Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ethernet cable better?

• 10-08-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all i plan on streaming some epl games this season and im just wondering is the Ethernet cable a better option than wireless, quality wise? im currently with upc and my last speed test was

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 21256 kbps (2657 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 10362 kbps (1295.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 37 ms

cheers :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Yes its better, those speeds you recorded are taken from a wirleless device I take it?
    Take a read of this
    you're at the lower end of speeds needed for streaming, but 2mb is fine.
    I'd say I lose about a third of my speeds over wireless, that just me though. You can get homeplugs that do a better job if you don't want to run cables all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

Yes from my laptop the speed test was done, I think il invest in a cable so as my router isnt to fare from my tv, probable stupid question but are there recommended Ethernet cables or are they all the same

Cheers and thanks for reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

theres cat 5e and then the latest one cat6. Cat5e will do you though

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Can I ask a question here - if I switched from WIFI to using Ethernet cable, would it be necessary to change any settings on computer or would I just connect the cable and carry on as usual?

I just might give cable a try soon.

By the way, I heard that homeplugs don't always give best results apparently due to imperfect wiring in the house??

I'm not a techie person btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

You should be able to just plug the laptop into the router and away you go. To ensure you have picked up your wired connection just temporally turn off the wireless adapter on your laptop (your manual should have instructions on this). Just surf the internet to test the connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Surely a 802.11n (and probably g) connection can handle the OP's DSL with ease? The bottleneck in this case remains the DSL connection the OP has. I stand to be corrected/educated if I'm wide of the mark though. Always happy to learn.

Advertisement