Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your biggest beauty disaster?

• 10-08-2013 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be fun to hear of all your biggest beauty disasters :)

I was in London last week and it made me remember the horror of my worst beauty disaster ever, which happened over a year ago.

I decided to get my eyebrows and eyelashes tinted at a salon in Bond Street station. I usually get a brown eyebrow tint and blue/black eyelash tint, so I asked for the same in this salon. The beauty therapist was Indian and didn't seem to have very good English, but seemed to understand what I wanted.

It was quite dark in the salon, and when she showed me the mirror at the end, everything seemed fine. So off I went back home, where to my horror in the daylight I realised she has dyed my eyebrows blue/black, so I had blue tinted eyebrows. I went back to the salon, and asked her to try and do something about them, but she said If she put a brown colour over it would look worse. So I was left to go around with blue eyebrows for a month. Morto!

So guys and gals do share, what was your biggest beauty disaster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Ouch!! This is why I do my own tinting :P

I got my make up done once... it was a special treat to myself for my birthday. My best friend decided to come along and get hers done too. I ended up with dark blue shimmery eyeshadow up to my eyebrows, my friend ended up with shimmery moss green up to hers. It looked awful. There was no contouring whatsoever and we looked like thirteen year olds from the 1980s who had lobbed it on. Disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Not really a disaster, but my make-up and hair for my debs was ridiculous!

The salon was so busy that I got the make-up and GHD curls done at the same time...so I had no mirror in front of me to see what was going on. When I looked in the mirror I looked like Jordan! (without the boobs)

Pink and silver eyeshadow, bright pink lipstick, orange foundation...was just ridiculous! It was my first ever time wearing any make-up apart from mascara, though.

Funny thing is, the exact same make-up artist did my make-up for a photoshoot for the salon about 5 years later and it was fab! Guess they just think all 17 year olds want to look like barbie dolls for their debs :/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah the makeup lady who came to do mine and my Sister's makeup done for her wedding was woeful..

I looked like I was heading off to Mardi Gras!! purple eyeshadow ffs.. and I have green eyes.. she hadn't a clue what she was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Detective Mittens

I would say every time I do my own make-up is a disaster!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've only been happy with the way my make up has been done by someone else once, on my wedding day. A particularly bad one was Illamasqua. She managed to put the correct shade of foundation on me, but then decided to finish the look (I was only looking to try the foundation but would never say no to the whole lot) with various shades of orange. I'm very pale so I looked ridiculous and given that Illamasqua has a wide range of paler shades you'd think she'd know how to create a pale look. That was the day I met my husband's friend for the first time and I had to explain that I didn't usually look like that. I just don't bother getting my make up done anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I would put blueblack mixed with a speck of black as a tint on my eyebrows, I think they look unreal :/ (attached just to make sure nobody is secretly laughing at them behind my back)

Worst beauty disasters, mm.
    Plucking my eyebrows to with an inch of their life, straight across, when I was 13. Of course I thought they were deadly then too.

I "won" a makeover competition in my local salon that I didn't even enter.
    My facial and makeup ect were lovely but part of it was styling and having my hair done. I have a round face, so short hair doesn't suit me. The salon coloured my hair and though I said only trim, and blowdry for volume, when they were done, it was to my chin. (It was about three inches below my bra strap). I was dumbfounded but the girl assured me it was longer than it looked as it was the blowdry making it look so short. (Later found out it wasnt)
    Next. I had to wear this horrible stretchy vintage red dress. I got my photo taken and all and when I put my own clothes back on people were coming up to tell me I looked so much better. OMG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

When I was a teenager, my mother somehow convinced me that a fringe suited me so I had one for years until a disaster at one of those salons for older country ladies.

The woman was only supposed to trim everything but she firstly gave me bob to above my ear lobes and then feathered my fringe :mad:

It was the first haircut of my life. I looked like one of those roosters with a fluffy fringe and it was uneven and just awful. I cried so much and refused to go into school the day after. I spent the next year clipping it back as it took so long to grow out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I used to wear rings of jet black eyeliner as a teenager. My grandma said I looked like a junkie. I also tended not to bother with any lip products, to enhance the down-and-out look.

And I think many of us have experienced the too-orange MAC foundation crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Lexie on Rale - Your eyebrows are such a nice shape!

I have too many to count! Like letting my best friend cut my hair when we were 14! Countless too many orange foundations when i was younger and did know there was more makeup brands besides from Rimmel! Too much black eyeliner! And I went from never plucking my eyebrows to going to a salon to have them waxed really really thin at around 16, when my mum suggested i go get them shaped with her while she was getting hers done!

And for debs four years ago, I'd never gotten a spray tan before and my mum and a few friends convinced me i should get one done! No one ever told me your supposed to wash it off a few hours after ya get it done! So i booked it for 11 o clock the day of my debs and the woman said leave it on for around 8 to ten hours or even overnight if i want a darker colour and then wash it off! I was like what! Then i washed it off the best i could when i got home as i was under pressure with time to get my hair and makeup done (which i was doing myself) but then throughout the night the tan was getting darker and patchier! was awful! havent got a spray tan since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Another Debs one for me too... had never wore make up really before, and I told her that I didn't really want much foundation (blessed with pretty clear skin anyway!) - she made me completely orange. I didn't even do fake tan, so I looked so ridiculous! I remember arriving home, running late, so my cousin was already there to see me off and running to my room and rubbing my face with tissue paper to try and tone it down a bit....

My hair was awful too - I asked for 'half up-half down' with some loose curls at the bottom. Instead I got these awful corkscrew curls, with what I can only describe as a 'bouffant' style at the top of my head, and my side fringe stuck to my forehead with hairspray :( Of course being 18, I just nodded and smiled when she asked if it was ok.

Never forget my mother's face when she picked me up from the salon haha...still had a great night though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Mine were both hair-related. Either the "Chesney Hawkes" of 1998, when I went in to the salon asking for a "Monica Geller when her hair was short" and came out looking like the early 90's "heart-throb".

Or, the "Bosco" of 2003. I agreed to be a model for one of the senior stylists in Zeba, who'd just been to the L'Oreal academy in Paris to learn a new cutting & colour technique and was demonstrating it to the rest of the staff. I made the mistake of telling him how bored I was with my hair and uttered the now-infamous words "Ah, do whatever you like with it." Because it was a demo, I was in the middle of the floor with all the staff facing me, and no mirror. I could actually see them wincing as he went along and knew it wasn't going to be pretty. When he was finished he went "Thanks a mill, see you now!" and didn't even bring me to a mirror to see the end result. I went into the salon with long, blonde, perfectly layered hair. I came out with, literally, Bosco's haircut. Exact same colour and cut. It took me over two years to grow it out, the cut was so bad. I wouldn't allow ANY photos to be taken of it either. I'm kind of sorry now, I'm sure I'd howl laughing at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I was heading to a black tie ball years ago and got my hair done in an up do. I told them I wanted something suitable for the event. I knew I was screwed when I heard reference to 'spikes' WTF? They had basically scraped back my hair and put it into a bun with spikes sticking up?! 'Spikes are in' they said.

They had it so tight at the front that they had given me a croydon facelift I could barely open my eyes properly the hair was that tight. From the back I looked like a moronic version of the statue of liberty.

My mum who kept saying on the phone 'it can't be that bad' nearly died laughing when she saw it. We tried to take it down but were under time pressure and they had put so much hair spray and gel in it that it wouldnt budge. Mum ended up wetting the spikes and folding them under and pinning them down. The photos are horrific :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I used to 'tidy up' my monobrow between 14 & 18 by shaving a wide strip between my eyebrows at the top of my nose. As my eyebrows are very thin at the outer corners having a big square baldy stripe between them gave me Rottweiler eyebrows (with the occasional heavy 5 o'clock shadow in the middle between shavings.)

dogs_109.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I would put blueblack mixed with a speck of black as a tint on my eyebrows, I think they look unreal :/ (attached just to make sure nobody is secretly laughing at them behind my back).

Your's look lovely, and I can't see any blue at all! I think mine looked terrible because I'm blonde with pale skin, so they really looked like millhouse eyebrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Not me, but my sister ...

I had fake tan that was a white cream that darkened after you put it on your skin. It came in a pump bottle, but the pump broke on it, so I transferred what was left into an empty tub of face moisturiser.

Anyways my sister decided to sneak into my room and steal my moisturiser without asking. Disaster. :D She ended up with a big patchy orange face and neck for about a week.

It was hard to feel sorry for her, she brought it on herself ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Ginger Spice blonde streaks at the front of my hair when I was 14, was delighted with myself. As if to taunt me, my hair now appears to be lightening at the front by itself...

I also owned (and regularly wore) tartan flares.

OhGodWhy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Oh I forgot about the purple streaks I put in my hair when I was 16. Jaysus .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Where do I start.

When I was younger (about 10-11) and started experimenting with my mum's make up, I put her face powder on first and then put the foundation on and couldn't understand why I had little 'powder balls' (as I called them) on my face :o

When I was 15/16 I got blonde highlights (read: streaks) in my hair, I thought I was the bees knees, looking back, it looked awful on me. utterly horrific.

One time I went to a hair dresser and wanted a fringe and a trim, and she gave me a bob cut and an arched fringe.

Another time when I was about 13, I bought a hair dye in the pound shop and didn't realise it was purple :o I had shimmery plum hair for weeks until it washed out.

I had a habit of using my mum's expensive make up when I was younger and refused to put it near my hair in case it damaged it, so I would have a white gap between orange* make up and brown hair.

*It wasn't orange on mam, as she has sallow skin, it was bright orange on me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

This is such a great thread, I'm in stitches at some of this!

Some of mine include: Starting to wear makeup. My mum never wore makeup (bar bronzer and a bit of eyeshadow) so my first (unguided) foray into foundation was Max Factor Pan Stik. I thought the objective was to colour in my entire face. You can imagine how attractive that was - I looked like I would melt if I came into too close contact with an open flame :eek:

Another was my first experience with layers - I didn't own a straightener and have zero skill with blow drying my hair straight - I couldn't understand why I looked like I stuck my fingers in a plug socket!

I'm totally sure there are a zillion more but I can't remember them now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I forgot one.

We were abroad one time and I went to the hair dressers in the hotel, mistake number one.

I asked for loose curls and with her being Spanish and me being Irish, there was a language barrier, mistake number two.

So I tried explaining a number of times, and eventually, when I thought she finally understood me, I let her away with the rollers and heater. Mistake number three.

After a few hours my auntie came looking for me and said that they were going out at whatever time, but for the moment they were going to have a drink in the hotel lobby and for me to meet them there.

After another few hours I left the hair dressers, met them all in the lobby and they fell around the place laughing. I mean, I had never seen them laugh as much so on I went up to our room to get changed, mum opened the door and burst out laughing, granny did the same. I looked in the mirror and thought it was playing tricks on me. Turned out, the stylist had given me the hair style that Irish dancers have, y'know, the wringlet style, or whatever it is called. Either way, my hair was like this, minus the hair pieces/make up:

IMAG013A.JPG

It was the most embarrassed and mortified I have ever been, and to top it off, I was charged €50 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I was definitely orange for a bit as a teenager! And don't forget the twelve layers of black eyeliner every morning!

Oh I was a joke!

And I once tried to go blonde.
    I'm dark dark brown naturally, it almost looked black when I was a child. Pale too. Had to leave it blonde for a few weeks until my head recovered enough to fix it hahaha

I also wish, if I could turn the clock back, that I'd never started dying my hair :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

misslt wrote: »
    my first (unguided) foray into foundation was Max Factor Pan Stik.

Me too!Why did so many mums have this foundation stick? I think it's one of the reasons I didn't use max factor for years, as I always associated it with old,cakey makeup look.

My first year in UCD was one big long beauty disaster. I was completely addicted to these tanning wipes from Pennys, and was patchy luminous orange all the time.
    I used to wear this blue eyeshadow from H+M everyday to my lectures, and put it not just on my eyelids but all the way up to my eyebrows.Then I had this blue shimmery eyeliner pencil from Maybelline that I would put all around my eyes.

Me and my friends have a good laugh about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I went through a phase as a teenager of wearing lilac eyeshadow, silver eyeliner and frosted pink lipstick. I'm super pale , I must have looked like a bloody ice cube!

Also Ambre Solaire Factor 50 BB Cream. Even the palest shade is way too orange for me, and it took trying it during the heatwave last month to find that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Same thing happened me as with Panda, only the beautician realised that she had used the lash tint (black) on my (blonde!!) eyebrows and then tried to cover it up by overplucking my brows... total disaster!

I also went through a phase of using black eyeliner underneath my bottom lash line... cringe even thinking about it, but I was going through a serious goth phase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Two words 'sun in'- nasty hair lightening spray that claimed to make you blonde in the sun or with a hair dryer. Spent my teenage years even a worse shade of fake ginger than my natural strawberry blonde hair... Thought I was blonde but the old photographs now tell me a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I had hair down to just below my bum when I was 11, went to the hairdressers one day and came home with my hair chin length because I wanted to look like rihanna (note: I have a small wide face which is NOT appropriate for a bob and I did not look like rihanna in the final look).

After that, about 14, I grew my hair down to about shoulder length but basically had very thick layers on top and rat tails on bottom with a full fringe and managed to dye my hair various shades of red, purple and dark brown.. How I regret thinning out my hair now as I am trying to grow it all back :(

When I first started wearing make up I wore just black eyeliner on my waterline. That was it, nothing else. I have a VERY pale complexion, I almost look blue, so you can imagine how scary I was with my deep plum hair, white as a bottle of milk and black rings around my now extremely tiny eyes :P

I didn't know what foundation to buy for my complexion so I bought (very cheap) mousse make up, oh how badly that went with my very dry skin, not knowing how to moisturize or what primer even was, came off in flakes during the day..

I'm only 16 (hitting 17 soon) so I'm really only getting into my make up now over the summer and knowing how to properly put make up on.. I'm still having a few blunders but this forum is helping a lot :)

Advertisement