Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dublin Decider 17.00 KO (Liverpool v Celtic)

• 10-08-2013 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On BT Sport 1

Or Celtic v Liverpool. (is that why they called it such a daft name?)

Anyway Celtic bunk off school to play Liverpool in their final pre-season friendly. Expect something close to the Stoke starting 11 with the likely proviso of Sturridge playing no more than 45m, maybe less.

The Scottish Champions appear to have sent a pretty weak side, here is them training

266532.jpg

Liverpool travelling squad announced: Jones, Johnson, Enrique, Toure, Alberto, Gerrard, Aspas, Coutinho, Assaidi, Henderson Sturridge, Coates, Downing, Lucas, Mignolet, Allen, Borini, Sterling, Kelly, Flanagan, Ibe, Wisdom

Celtic travelling squad announced: Izaguirre, Balde, Fisher, Irvine, Findlay, Stokes, Kayal, Lustig, Matthews, McGeouch, Mouyokolo Henderson, Herron, George, Atajic, Watt, Forster, Zaluska

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A full stadium for weakened team?

Ouch if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I hate the name of it!

Should be a good game in any case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Gwan Liverpool. Gwan Celtic. Oh Jesus. I can't Dublin decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What does it decide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Isn't it De Dublin Decider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The sporting highlight of the Irish summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have tickets for my son and I - really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They should get Joe Duffy to commentate.

"And c'mere to me, what's that there is that the ball, yeah? That's the ball, ok. And yer man is after passing it there, and tell me this, does this kind of thing happen frequently, Mary, the passing and the ball and the running on the good grass?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Stupid name for the event but it will make a lot of kids day & adults too. Up in Premium Section with prawn sandwich brigade & be good too see few players in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Augmerson wrote: »
    What does it decide?
    Which team is the most Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Diasporatastic.

The sporting highlight of the Irish summer.
    It's been a pretty barren Summer for soccer in Ireland alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So exactly what is it that's up for decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some amount of Jersey's around town. Spotted the that woman who Rodgers was caught taking a peek. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

A full stadium for weakened team?

Ouch if true.

Why??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

lennon said 7 of the first team hasnt travelled. they be still recovering from the qualifier the other night.

liverpool see this as a preseason, celtic see it as a moneyspinner. id say this will be comfortable for Liverpool, given celtic are fielding a team that will be similar to the teams we fielded on the german tour.

Why??

Ah well people I'm sure we're hoping to see some of the better players at Celtic no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ah well people I'm sure we're hoping to see some of the better players at Celtic no?

Well then they'd be idiots, Celtic have started their season already, anyone hoping to see anything like a "full strength" Celtic team are fools.

For the price of tickets than yes lot of them must be.

Tough CL qualifier during the week and a huge one to come, was never going to be a full strength side imo. Liverpool of course have no such concerns ;)

• Advertisement

For the price of tickets than yes lot of them must be.

I don't disagree.

Well then they'd be idiots, Celtic have started their season already, anyone hoping to see anything like a "full strength" Celtic team are fools.

celtic fielded a very strong team this time last year against real madrid over in the states. tickets were sold a long time ago, it was anyones guess to what team they could field today

Dempsey wrote: »
    celtic fielded a very strong team this time last year against real madrid over in the states. tickets were sold a long time ago, it was anyones guess to what team they could field today

Big wow. It's as obvious as hell what the main reason for this game is - gouging money from idiots stupid enough to pay the price for the tickets. "The Dublin Decider" - give me strength.

You are right in one respect, it is "anyone's guess" who is going to play, given they'll probably be a bunch of unknowns (unknown to normal people, obviously Celtic nerds will know the, but the majority of the Irish Celtic jersey brigade won't have a clue) from the reserves and U19s.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

So exactly what is it that's up for decision?

The Guinness world record wankathon attempt.

Big wow. It's as obvious as hell what the main reason for this game is - gouging money from idiots stupid enough to pay the price for the tickets. "The Dublin Decider" - give me strength.

You are right in one respect, it is "anyone's guess" who is going to play, given they'll probably be a bunch of unknowns (unknown to normal people, obviously Celtic nerds will know the, but the majority of the Irish Celtic jersey brigade won't have a clue) from the reserves and U19s.

im going to dublin to watch celtic, it doesnt bother me one bit that its not the strongest squad possible. im lookong forward to seeing them play. I went to parkhead to see a full strength celtic team play ****e so it wont upset me or most fans.

seems something has you upset, dry your eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

RasTa wrote: »
    Spotted the that woman who Rodgers was caught taking a peek. Not bad.

Claire Rourke, nice.
    Bet she didn't interview him on the way over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Alias G wrote: »
    The Guinness world record wankathon attempt.

That's in Switzerland, this is in dublin...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Best thing about this thread is the posters moaning about the title :pac::pac:

Well you can hardly blame people when they're so starved of decent football in their own country.

• Advertisement

Well you can hardly blame people when they're so starved of decent football in their own country.

Cool.

uh oh....

rarnes1 wrote: »
    uh oh....
    I'm being a bit tongue in cheek :pac: obviously, but when you get called an idiot for taking your son to see his favourite team, how do you expect people to react?

League of Ireland fanboi's coming in here having a go is really laughable. They're the first ones to complain about "barstoolers" who don't watch their team play. Yet when a match between two of the biggest supported teams in Ireland (a fact they bitterly resent)) takes place, they're the first people to call fans idiots for wanting to attend. You just can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

May I ask, is there any good cause behind the match? Parts of the gate money going to charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As this friendly is the answer to that?

Most accents I heard where English. More Celtic jersey's around at that hour in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Would loved to have gone myself to this, should be a good day out, will watch it later to see how LFC are doing coming into the start of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Lars1916 wrote: »
    May I ask, is there any good cause behind the match? Parts of the gate money going to charity?

Helping to pay off the FAI's massive debts.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Helping to pay off the FAI's massive debts.

And when the debts are paid off, will the access go towards the LOI clubs? Or will this be a FAIlure, before they even consider an idea like that?

Does some money from friendlies usually go to charity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Does some money from friendlies usually go to charity?

Think the shirts from the match are given to charity's to auction off for money

And when the debts are paid off, will the access go towards the LOI clubs? Or will this be a FAIlure, before they even consider an idea like that?

Once the debts are paid off the FAI will find something else to piss money away on and Irish clubs at all levels will be left fighting over the scraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

It's been a pretty barren Summer for soccer in Ireland alright.
    I'm being a bit tongue in cheek :pac: obviously, but when you get called an idiot for taking your son to see his favourite team, how do you expect people to react?

League of Ireland fanboi's coming in here having a go is really laughable. They're the first ones to complain about "barstoolers" who don't watch their team play. Yet when a match between two of the biggest supported teams in Ireland (a fact they bitterly resent)) takes place, they're the first people to call fans idiots for wanting to attend. You just can't win.

Some people might think it's you who has a problem and not the LOI fans

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Strange that Celtic are able to cancel a league match in order to play in a friendly....no doubt they'll be whinging about fixture congestion at some point later in the season.

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    Strange that Celtic are able to cancel a league match in order to play in a friendly....no doubt they'll be whinging about fixture congestion at some point later in the season.

Celtic, whinging? Never!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

None of their matches matter anyway. They could just give them the league title now and save the hassle.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    None of their matches matter anyway. They could just give them the league title now and save the hassle.

...and Liverpool could just give up on winning the title? ;)

AgileMyth wrote: »

yes because national leagues are all about who wins them, nothing to do with the other clubs, their fans, their rivalries blah blah blah. lets juts have a 4 way play off for the epl why dont we? :rolleyes:

No actually it's not strange if you knew what you were talking about which obviously you dont

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Clubs in the top league have been allowed to have one weekend off to play friendlys because they start early with European qualifiers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement