Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dublin Decider 17.00 KO (Liverpool v Celtic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Are you telling me Celtic wouldn't vastly improve with SKY TV money?

Top 3 initially would be optimistic but after a while there's no reason why they wouldn't be comparable to Spurs or Liverpool.
    Take the current revenue streams ( adding on the tv money ), size of the support and stadium being filled every week and to say otherwise would be wrong.

Newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    we would soon be a top 3 team every season

:pac::pac::pac:

Even with your increased revenue United, Chelsea, City etc. would still make more money, and then they have their sugar daddies on top of that. No way Celtic would be a top 3 team in the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

SantryRed wrote: »
    Newcastle?

Celtic are a very well run club these days. Newcastle have been run like a circus at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

niallo27 wrote: »
    So celtic fans give out about the evil EPL and sky sports hyping the **** out of it but yet the want celtic to join it.

Really? Where has anyone said that in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

CSF wrote: »
    I'm lost here. Are you from Glasgow or just deluded beyond all belief?

Would you not check my Location info before posting that no??

Oat23 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

Even with your increased revenue United, Chelsea, City etc. would still make more money, and then they have their sugar daddies on top of that. No way Celtic would be a top 3 team in the EPL.

It's all subjectable but saying "there's no way they'd be a top 3 club" is just as far off as saying they would be straight away.

Newcastle?

oh ffs this old canard thrown in again. Seriously comparing the two clubs??? :pac:

Oh and fwiw i dont particularly want to join the epl

Anyway on another topic the Liverpool support was awful quiet today , suppose thats what happens when all the barstoolers take a rare trip to see their team actually play in a stadium .. and when they had that disallowed goal they seemed to keep cheering mistakenly for an eternity.. mustve been hard for them to understand that the goal wasnt given without the commentator or on screen graphics to help them out :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Those screen graphics didn't help anybody in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Really? Where has anyone said that in this thread?

Have a read back.

Anyway on another topic the Liverpool support was awful quiet today , suppose thats what happens when all the barstoolers take a rare trip to see their team actually play in a stadium .. and when they had that disallowed goal they seemed to keep cheering mistakenly for an eternity.. mustve been hard for them to understand that the goal wasnt given without the commentator or on screen graphics to help them out :pac::pac::pac:

TBF mate it didn't help with the ****ing stadium announcer declaring it a goal. Hate that guy anyway..

Newcastle?

its a city in the North East of England... point??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The atmosphere was non-existent among LFC supporters.

On another note, is there anything more obnoxious than Irish Celtic supporters?

BMJD wrote: »

Generalisations are strong in this one.

Have a read back.

I've read the whole thing, honestly didnt notice any celtic fans saying it, could be wrong though as many fans do agree. You might like to help me out here and give an example? It's a myth that all celtic fans are chomping at the bit to get into the epl.

• Advertisement

Anyway thats Celtic beating Liverpool in their last European game this season.....again

Yes Irish EPL supporters , at least Celtic are the team of the Irish Diaspora in the UK & for many more over the world , tbh it was embarssing to see so many Irish people turn out to support the club of an English city that the vast majority would have absolutley no link to whatsoever.. against a club that -like it or lump it- represents Irish identity to many of Irish Descent round the world.

Anyway thats Celtic beating Liverpool in their last European game this season.....again

They have to travel to Swansea and Cardiff this year so your wrong there kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well, I was pretty sure this thread would end in a massive argument. But I honestly can't believe it has nothing to do with LoI fans :pac:

I've read the whole thing, honestly didnt notice any celtic fans saying it, could be wrong though as many fans do agree. You might like to help me out here and give an example? It's a myth that all celtic fans are chomping at the bit to get into the epl.

That Oranboy fella was saying a few times he would love a chance to play in the EPL.

• Advertisement

Yes Irish EPL supporters , at least Celtic are the team of the Irish Diaspora in the UK & for many more over the world , tbh it was embarssing to see so many Irish people turn out to support the club of an English city that the vast majority would have absolutley no link to whatsoever.. against a club that -like it or lump it- represents Irish identity to many of Irish Descent round the world.

Sorry but to say the city of Liverpool has no Irish links is just plain absurd and ignorant if i may say so. You dont do yourself any favours coming out with nonsense like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well, I was pretty sure this thread would end in a massive argument. But I honestly can't believe it has nothing to do with LoI fans :pac:

have to say im enjoying it....:pac::pac:

It's not much of an argument! More like the usual debate

Not sure where LOI fans would come into it either but I wouldn't rule out a few of them wading in when the night clubs close. The poor souls can't handle their drink.

I know we have a fella saying it's an embarrassment for Irish people to support an English team but it's ok to support a Scottish one.

That Oranboy fella was saying a few times he would love a chance to play in the EPL.

From reading his posts he is far from representative of celtic fans

Ah sure come on, get stuck in and ruffle a few feathers ;)

I know we have a fella saying it's an embarrassment for Irish people to support an English team but it's ok to support a Scottish one.

Thats not quite what he said though is it? Anyway i wouldnt pay much heed to him

as i said earlier id love to get shot at it, as i think the league we are in stifles our progress, but i do know that its split pretty evenly amongst the fellow Celtic fans that i know for and against such a move.. i cant see it happening though as i we are too big a club for the majority of teams down their... only Man United id say has a bigger fan base worldwide ,though maybe Liverpool too to be fair with their Far East & Irish customers supporters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I meant no offence but that's kind of it, I'm as Irish as can be yet somehow a drunken fool in a green and white jersey seems to have an air of superiority about himself for some reason. I don't support LFC because I somehow think I am part of that foreign city, it's because I grew up watching King Kenny, Ian Rush, John Barnes, etc. while Celtic were in that eternal tussle with the only rivals they ever knew. Glasgow, LIverpool, London, Berlin, Munich, tis all the same to me.

as i said erlier id love to get shot at it, as i think the league we are in stifles our progress, but i do know that its split pretty evenly amongst the fellow Celtic fans that i know for and against such a move.. i cant see it happening though as i we are too big a club for the majority of teams down their... only Man United id say has a bigger fan base worldwide ,though maybe Liverpool too to be fair with their Far East & Irish customers supporters :)

I'm not totally opposed to the idea as as such, just would rather wait to see how European Football goes in the next few years. I cant see the present structures for the elite game lasting many ears longer. An Atlantic league type scenario would be much more preferable for me

• Advertisement

Sorry but to say the city of Liverpool has no Irish links is just plain absurd and ignorant if i may say so. You dont do yourself any favours coming out with nonsense like that

Tell me this though if their is so many links with Liverpool... and Manchester while we are at it then why dont more Irish support Everton & City ??

It wouldnt be because they havent had quite as much glory as the two red teams of those cities would it by chance??

Tell me this though if their is so many links with Liverpool... and Manchester while we are at it then why dont more Irish support Everton & City ??

It wouldnt be because they havent had quite as much glory as the two red teams of those cities would it by chance??

lol the irony.

because there is loads of people who support Dundee United and Hibs in Ireland:pac::pac::pac::pac:

I meant no offence but that's kind of it, I'm as Irish as can be yet somehow a drunken fool in a green and white jersey seems to have an air of superiority about himself for some reason. I don't support LFC because I somehow think I am part of that foreign city, it's because I grew up watching King Kenny, Ian Rush, John Barnes, etc. while Celtic were in that eternal tussle with the only rivals they ever knew. Glasgow, LIverpool, London, Berlin, Munich, tis all the same to me.

and their goes the sterotype that so many Irish seem to have about a club that has won awards from UEFA for their fans behaviour whilst at a European final and flying the Irish flag all over the world :rolleyes:

well im tee-total i can be a fool though i suppose :)

Im not on about that, you said Liverpool the city, not Liverpool the club, had no irish links thats just wrong.

On your main point, if Celtic were to join the epl and become one of the top 4 or whatever, they would attract support in ireland also that had nothing to do with their Irish heritage, tradition etc. It's what happens.

lol the irony.

because there is loads of people who support Dundee United and Hibs in Ireland:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Celtic have the strongest links to Ireland, don't think that's up for debate if we're being honest.

lol the irony.

Two clubs that have gone out of their way to downplay their irish heritage, daft example to use imo

Two clubs that have gone out of their way to downplay their irish heritage, daft example to use imo

Not really. Just happy to be a club that is in Scotland for Scottish people and proud of the history that links it to Ireland.

Hibernian means Ireland in latin and we still have Irish links proudly on our crest.

The difference between Celtic and Hibs is location and more Irish settling in Glasglow years ago.

lol the irony.

Dundee United changed their name from Dundee Hibernian to try and hide their Irish roots as they were embarssed & felt stigmatised by those roots -as was common in the UK in those days , Hibernian were one of the main clubs that tried to force Celtic to stop flying the Tri-Colour over our stadium in the 50s. (suprisingly Rangers backed us strongly on this issue) Hibernian also tried ther hardest to distance themselves from thier Irish roots but didnt suceed as well as Dundee United

Celtic have the strongest links to Ireland, don't think that's up for debate if we're being honest.

because of success ...lets face it

• Advertisement

Dundee United changed their name from Dundee Hibernian to try and hide their Irish roots as they were embarssed & felt stigmatised by those roots -as was common in the UK in those days , Hibernian were one of the main clubs that tried to force Celtic to stop flying the Tri-Colour over our stadium in the 50s. (suprisingly Rangers backed us strongly on this issue) Hibernian also tried ther hardest to distance themselves from thier Irish roots but didnt suceed as well as Dundee United

ah that old chestnut...did not take long that one.

Im not on about that, you said Liverpool the city, not Liverpool the club, had no irish links thats just wrong.

On your main point, if Celtic were to join the epl and become one of the top 4 or whatever, they would attract support in ireland also that had nothing to do with their Irish heritage, tradition etc. It's what happens.

i wonder what the Irish EPL fans would do then if this did happen.. if we got into the EPL ..and their teams started singing Anti-Irish songs when they play us as many Scottish teams do .. genuine question here.. if any Irish EPL club fan would like to answer it?? would they carry on supporting their English team regardless??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Opened up this thread to have a look at how the match went; who played well, what the atmosphere was like, etc... my good God the world is a sick place, couldn't even do that.

Celtic's success is just a by-product of it's Irish roots.

audman wrote: »
    Opened up this thread to have a look at how the match went; who played well, what the atmosphere was like, etc... my good God the world is a sick place, couldn't even do that.

T'was only a friendly. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

you just mentioned more settlers in Glasgow in your last post hence more family ties etc. in fairness do try and be consistent at least and ya, of course success is a factor. Dont see too many tricolours or hear irish songs at Easter Road do we? Not a thing wrong with of course but its easy to see why irish fans would be more drawn towards celtic

• Advertisement

Not really. Just happy to be a club that is in Scotland for Scottish people and proud of the history that links it to Ireland.

Hibernian means Ireland in latin and we still have Irish links proudly on our crest.

The difference between Celtic and Hibs is location and more Irish settling in Glasglow years ago.

this is the main difference to be honest the Irish population of Edinburgh is miniscule compared to Glasgow... of course the success helps as well but Hibs were a very succesful side in the 50s when Celtic were really awful by all accounts & it didnt change things

audman wrote: »

There are pages and pages of how the match went etc but id say you jumped in at the end didnt you?

why do you keep referring to me as if im not here ???

Celtic's success is just a by-product of it's Irish roots.

the difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh are miles apart even 50-70 years ago.

You can be sure that had Celtic the same Irish support back then as Hibs did they have done things different to keep the club above water.

Its not something I find fault with Celtic or there fans, all big clubs have more supporters be it in Glasgow, Manchester or Milan.

anyway going off topic. im out:)

i wonder what the Irish EPL fans would do then if this did happen.. if we got into the EPL ..and their teams started singing Anti-Irish songs when they play us as many Scottish teams do .. genuine question here.. if any Irish EPL club fan would like to answer it?? would they carry on supporting their English team regardless??

For a start you cant compare the traditinaland historically institutional anti Irish/Catholic sentiment in Scotland to the situation in England. It's not relevant

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement