Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear coast intinery

Options
  • 10-08-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Leaving on Monday for California. Here is our proposed intinery for our trip. Anything we should add in or leave out?

Monday 12th
    San Fran 2 nights

Pier 37
    Alcatraz
    Golden gate
    The 'windy' road

Wednesday 14th
    Monterey 2 nights

Aquarium

Friday 16th 1 night
    Santa Barbara

Drive down coast road sea lions etc
    Hearst castle

Saturday 17th 2 nights
    LA

Celebrity tour
    Six flags
    Universal studios
    Hollywood way

Monday 19th 3 nights
    Las Vegas

Beatles cirque du soleil
    Grand Canyon
    Gambling etc.

San Diego 22nd 3 nights

Zoo
    Sea world
    Shopping?

Any ideas on what to add in?

Anyone with experience of this trip where would be the best place to see giant redwoods? Also any 'ghost' towns that we could fit into our intinery.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Looks okay.

Drive down the coast all the way from SF, through Monterey to SB. Dont just drive the coast after SB. (hearst castle would be on this leg).

2 nights in Monterey is a lot. There's also Carmel, Pebble Beach and 17 mile drive to do there.

Also San Louis Obispo is a good stop point after driving the coast road from Monterey. Santa Barbara may be a little far.

2 nights in LA and 3 nights in SD? Seems back to front. LA is one of the largest cities in the world, while san diego is a naval base with sea world. But whatever...

Be aware of fog. August is the peak of fog season. But dont worry its mostly a morning thing and as the heat of the day increases it dissolves away. It screws with Tourists all the time ("Oh it was "cloudy" every day".), but it does go away.

Try and do the highway one drive between Monterey and Hearst Castle after lunch. Monterey is particularly famous for its fog. Sometimes in summer it never gets above 15 degrees and it can linger for days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_layer

Calico, ghost town, its between LA and Vegas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_Ghost_Town

Redwoods. (in Santa Cruz county, about 2 hours south of SF).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cowell_Redwoods_State_Park
    http://www.bigbasin.org/

Have a great trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I'll be honest with you...pier 37 is horrible, there is little or no enjoyment to be had from it.

As for alcatraz - i'd recommend you do the night tour rather than the day one. It is quieter (only 2 boatloads go out) and slightly creepier, plus the views of the city are amazing.

As for the windy road (lombard street), a lot of people make the mistake of seeing it only from the top - make sure you see it from the bottom.

Golden gate is worth it, my favourite view is from from underneath it from Fort Point

Make sure you bring layers of clothes, hoodies etc...it may be "summer" but last night is was 12c and not too much warmer in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

As a California native, I wouldn't recommend San Louis Obispo, Maybe for lunch but little besides. Santa Barbara is much more beautiful location to stay. In august you should be fine for Fog. Shouldn't have any issues. From living in Carpinteria most of my life I've found June and July to be the worst for fog.

On your trip overall. Since your in LA for only 2nights. I'd skip Six Flags, its out of your way in Santa Clarita and personally I'd definitely pick Universal Studios over Six flags. And try find time for Griffith Observatory in LA. Probably the best View of LA with a good view of the Hollywood sign to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    In august you should be fine for Fog. Shouldn't have any issues. From living in Carpinteria most of my life I've found June and July to be the worst for fog.

But what about San Fransisco and the central coast? The June gloom is a socal thing.

They are way different from carpinteria. Pacific Grove is socked in all summer. Ive spent 15 years on the beach in Santa Cruz and its Foggy in July and August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

well in SF it's cold and foggy in the mornings, warmish in the afternoon then cold, foggy and a bit rainy in the evenings and night

hopefully will clear by September :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement