Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home CCTV Cameras and Court

Options
  • 10-08-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Just was wondering if anybody knowns if this is true? Bought a camera today for the outside of my house as my car window got smashed. The guy in the shop advised me not to have it pointing onto the street and have it only on my own property. The reason been was for example if you caught somebody walking up the street that subsequently committed a crime on another part of the street which was not on camera you'd be required to go to court if your CCTV footage was used to prove the person was in the area?

Curious to know if this has had happened to anybody?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I've had guards ask for footage. Never heard of being asked to witness someone just being in an area TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thetowen

KoolKid wrote: »
    I've had guards ask for footage. Never heard of being asked to witness someone just being in an area TBH.

Maybe I gave a bad example. If somebody parked outside your house and broke into the car and it was caught on your camera. The guards would get the footage off you but if the offending person denied the charge, he maintained you'd have to go to court basically to say it was your camera and the time on it was correct etc.

The reason I ask was he wanted to sell me a vari focal camera which was a bit more expensive. Just wondering was he making it up to sell it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have never come across the camera owner(s) having to verify anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thetowen

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have never come across the camera owner(s) having to verify anything.

I think your right I had a feeling that he was spoofing me but when I wasn't in the know I could argue with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have signed statements after making copies of incidents for the guards from a recorder. It's just a formality to prove where the evidence came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I have signed statements after making copies of incidents for the guards from a recorder. It's just a formality to prove where the evidence came from.

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JOS52

Have you to have a CCTV in operation sign on your gate/wall outside legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

JOS52 wrote: »
    Have you to have a CCTV in operation sign on your gate/wall outside legally?

No.

Advertisement