Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newish to Camping. Please help!!!!!!!

Options
  • 10-08-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi, I have 2 young kids and I would eventually like to take them camping.
    The last time I camped was about 15 years ago and it was literally just the tent , sleeping bag and frying pan.
    I would now like to start gathering camping equipment ,with camping in mind for next summer.
    Besides the obvious tent and sleeping bags can my fellow boardsies recommend any other bits of gear I should buy and where I shuld buy them. Online or in the shop itself? Best bargains etc.
    Im starting ffrom scratch so I need the tent , sleeping bags etc.

Any help , advice , DOs and DONTs would be great.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

apart from tent, sleeping bag, frying pan.

you will need
    • some sort of air matress ideally closed foam to stop the cold. in summer an air matress that you might use for visiting guests will be grand. brung pillows.
    • plates, plates, knives, forks and cups bring them from home if you want or get the plastic ones to stop them breaking alternatively get plastic knives and forks and throw them away. some sort of food.
    • a big box that fits into the car to carry all of the above and prevents ants and other bugs getting at them when you are out and keeps everything clean and safe.
    • icebox for food like milk, butter, meat, drinks, for ice may i suggest the 3 liter softdrink bottles filled with water and frozen when they melt, you have water.
    • cooking: biggish blue cylinders of camping gaz and a large screw on burner will handle all the frying you can throw at it you can also get a setup with 2 burners that screws into the same cylinder.
    • alternatively get the smaller cylinder and have the click on fitting that will work a burner and a lantern.
    • a kettle for boiling water and making tea. very important.
    • seats: you will want to sit somewhere small little stools for the young uns and arm chairs for the adults.

you might want a table to eat at but it is not totally necessary.

then the rest is your normal washing stuff you would normally bring.

a basin to do the wash up

and a jerry can to bring water. although most campsites have a place to wash dishes.

some of this stuff is optional if you plan out your meals properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

OP, one big consideration is, are you parking beside your tent (on a site) or wild camping where you might be walking for an hour or 2 to get somewhere?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Mad Bull wrote: »
    Hi, I have 2 young kids and I would eventually like to take them camping.
    The last time I camped was about 15 years ago and it was literally just the tent , sleeping bag and frying pan.
    I would now like to start gathering camping equipment ,with camping in mind for next summer.
    Besides the obvious tent and sleeping bags can my fellow boardsies recommend any other bits of gear I should buy and where I shuld buy them. Online or in the shop itself? Best bargains etc.
    Im starting ffrom scratch so I need the tent , sleeping bags etc.

Any help , advice , DOs and DONTs would be great.

Thanks a million
    If its family camping then you dont need Ray Mears grade gear other than a good quality tent.!. I assembled the bulk of my family camping bits and bobs from Lidl /Aldi. Self inflating mats, inflatable pillows etc. Its all perfectly functional. The cleverest thing i did get is 4 or five large nesting storage tubs. Even if you only fill one or two tubs with kit, food etc bring the empties nested and use them as bins, water holders, wash bowls, beer coolers, seats, low tables etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mad Bull

silverharp wrote: »
    OP, one big consideration is, are you parking beside your tent (on a site) or wild camping where you might be walking for an hour or 2 to get somewhere?
    A bit of both I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mad Bull wrote: »
    A bit of both I suppose.

good to be prepared. If you have the car you can pack the "kitchen sink". Ive started camping with my son, 1-2 hours from the car so you need everything to be light as they wont be able to carry much. You don't need designer gear, and if going with kids you will be keeping to times when you know the weather will be dry at least so no need for over specked tents or rain gear.
    so small stove, small LED lights. I use a couple of mess tins and do boil in the bag food so there is no washing up to do. Bug spray is vital and have a small med kit just in case.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

For your first camp I'd consider your backgarden if you have one. This will shake down the procedure of putting up and packing away the tent, sleeping and what to do about the toilet. It's simpler for boys....

if your garden is unsuitable, a fixed campsite is next best bet. If you can park beside the tent you can bring airbeds and probably pump them with electric pumps.

You can get cheap led torches now, but tea lights in a jam jar make a nice lantern. drinking tea (or some more child friendly hot drink) if the children are too young for tea is a good way to pass time.

So you'ld need a stove, a pot or kettle, matches

sleeping bags; something to lie on, airbed or foam mat

dry clothes : you will always bring more than you need!
    the minimum is a dry change of clothes to put on at night when the tent is up and change back to wet clothes in the morning, for multi-day camps with an active day.

And a tent.

Get comfortable and enjoy the first few camps, and push the boundaries afterwards.

Advertisement