Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to Hawaii from Dublin

Options
  • 10-08-2013 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice on booking return flight to Hawaii (pref Oahu).

Starting to think about planning a 6 week trip for Feb/March 2014 and can't figure out best way to fly there. Kayak searching proposes multiple stops in the US, with overall trip times of 24 hours+ which seems a little grueling! Anyone done similar? Was wondering if booking Aer Lingus flight to major US hub like Chicago or LA and then separate US carrier to Hawaii would be easier.

Any thoughts? Would love to hear your experiences. Hawaii has been on my must do list for years...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Check http://www.ebookers.ie

The trip will be a minimum of 23 hours with 2 stops. There are some 1 stops but the layover is around 21 hours, taking the whole journey to 40+ hours. There are a few 1 stop flights for the return around the 27 hour mark. Prices look pretty good at just over €1,000.

Aer Lingus have no agreements for flights on to HNL with other carriers via their US mainland destinations. That might change as they have only recently reopened direct to San Fran.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duck_77

The problem booking a single stop from Ireland is that the flights from the East coast (as far as Chicago which until April is the furthest West you can get from Dublin) all leave early in the day.

You need to get to SFO, SEA or LAX to get a bank of flights that stretch in to the evening. Most Americans will not fly direct unless they live on the West coast.

Once Aer Lingus start SFO, you can book through to HNL with one stop on the evening flight with an 18 hour trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Not jealous of this flight at all, even though Hawaii is amazing. It is basically the same distance from SF to HNL as it is from Dublin to JFK.

I would recommend a short hop to London or Germany, direct to SFO which arrives about 2pm and then get a late afternoon flight to HNL, you'll be tired but you will get into HNL and be able to collapse into bed.

From San Francisco you can fly with Hawaiian, Delta or United to Hawaii. Look into partner flights from London (united for instance) which will get you closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Thanks all - will keep investigating options but probably need to just accept it'll be a bit of a beast of a journey and get over it!

I travel to San Francisco a lot - and always take the DUB-LON-SFO route as I hate stopovers... so that might work. Or DUB-LON-LAX.

I could hold out until Aer Lingus start their DUB-SFO direct route and pick up a connection there, but I've always wanted to watch (not catch!) some of the big waves and pipeline on the North Shore which means January/February time, so Aer Lingus probably out.

Anyway, I love planning trips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

We flew to Hawaii in 2011 with Continental, with a layover in Newark. All in the journey was about 22 hours and about 17 of that was flight time (it's a 10-hour flight from Newark to Honolulu.

• Advertisement
Advertisement