Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Netbook not starting

Options
  • 10-08-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    I was doing some clean up of an Acer Netbook for a friend. Ran malwarebytes which threw up nearly a thousand problems, nearly all of them PUPs. There were also a lot of toolbars etc. Cleaned everything, ran CCleaner, and cleaned the registry.
    I started the netbook this morning, no problem, and done some more cleaning, ran Spybot S & D. Avast free antivirus was on the machine, so went to upgrade it. Avast looked to restart once it had finished but the netbook would not start up. It is running XP and would get to the blue screen with XP is loading please wait..... but just hang there.
    I can boot into safe mode with networking and have ran rkill and running full scan with malwarebytes at the moment to make sure everything is cleaned.
    Any ideas why it will not boot in normal mode please? I have uninstalled avast for the moment.

Edit to Add: Malwarebytes scan has now stopped working at 31 minutes on the following:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat_com\META-INF\AIR\application.xml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Maybe try Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and Malwarebytes Chameleon.

Both available from Malwarebytes.org

If I saw that many infections on my PC, I would backup important stuff (and scan the backup) then format and re-install the OS.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

You say "done some more cleaning" this morning, did you remove anything again from the registry?

Have you tried a System Restore? or a Repair Installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Thanks for the replies.
    @ johndoe, i uninstalled games that came with netbook and ran the registry cleaner in CCleaner.
    I will boot into safe mode and try a system restore.

Advertisement