Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio/ Video editing with i3 or i5?

Options
  • 10-08-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi there,

I'm looking for a new laptop at the moment, somewhere in the range of 500-700 euro, and I've seen a few reasonably priced ones with i3 processor. Could anyone tell me if this would be sufficient for video and audio editing (e.g. Protools/ Cubase)? I was told by one of the guys in Harvey Normans that professionals recommend i5.

It wouldn't be exclusively for editing, but I'm starting a masters soon in TV and Radio Production so I want to get a laptop that's capable of doing what I may need it to for college.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Sgm wrote: »
    I was told by one of the guys in Harvey Normans that professionals recommend i5.

Modern image, audio and video editing software benefit greatly from multithreading, the more cores/threads the better. Ideally you'd want a quad Core i7 with 8 threads. And plenty memory... such laptops are available from around €650 (without a dedicated graphics card).

A mobile Core i3 processor has 2 physical cores, a mobile Core i5 processor has 2 physical and 2 virtual cores (i.e. 4 threads).

Advertisement