Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

server 2003 R2 taking forever to start

Options
  • 10-08-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I have an old computer, a server 2003 R2 that takes 20-30 min to start. Microsoft sent me a hotfix to correct this startup problem.
    My problem is I cannot get the hotfix to run. Anyone got any idea how I can correct this.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Is this the old server with the "lost" password which you now want to use as a PC? ;)

A good starting point is the Event Log (Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer)

Maybe you want to start from scratch with a clean installation. Here is a step-by-step guide, how to turn Windows 2003 Server into a workstation OS.

I'm using this old gem here myself on a Core i5 desktop PC, takes less than 30 seconds to boot... Microsoft has yet to come up with something better to make me switch. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Torqay
    you're on the ball!!!.
    Many thanks, really appreciate you taking the time to help.
    If you were living close I'd give you some apples.

Oops! Google Chrome could not find win2k3.msfn.org

Try reloading: win2k3.­msfn.­org
    Torqay...this is what I get with that link!

garroff wrote: »
    Oops! Google Chrome could not find win2k3.msfn.org

Try reloading: win2k3.­msfn.­org
    Torqay...this is what I get with that link!

Here's the PDF version of this guide.

Torqay
    got the PDF.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement

This guide is actually somewhat out of date, of course you can install DirectX 9.0c, IE8 and Windows Media Player 11 in Windows 2003.

Decided to do a defrag before starting.
    Made trouble for myself.
    When computer is switched on it starts to boot but then a message Control+s or F4 to enter RAID UTILITY.
    Pressing S or F4 has no effect.
    Ctrl Alt Del will give be a screen with the boot up but it quickly reverts to Control~+S OR f4....
    Have I done damage?

We would need some more information re the hard drive(s) and if there's a RAID array installed. Some details re make, model and specs would do no harm either.

Do you have the installation medium, i.e. a Windows 2003 Server CD ROM?

Checked my drawers and found the following:
    Vista ultimate 32 and 64 bit activated
    Reinstallation CD Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Servicw Pack 2 CD.
    aNY OF THESE ANY GOOD TO ME?

In a word, no. ;)

(Unless you want to install XP or Vista)

Do you see a CoA sticker on your server PC?

tgRWz7I.jpg

• Advertisement

Sticker on side says Windows XP Home Edition.
    Checking in attic I found
    Microsoft Windows 98SE cd
    Microsoft Windows 98 cd
    Windows Vista Home Edition cd
    Windows 98 cd
    Microsoft Windows 95 cd.
    At this stage I just want to be able to use google and connect from PC to tv to show films.
    Is it possible for me to install Vista on this computer to do this?
    Sorry for all the hassle but when it comes to computers I'm not the brightest. Appreciate any help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sticker on side says Windows XP Home Edition.
    Checking in attic I found
    Microsoft Windows 98SE cd
    Microsoft Windows 98 cd
    Windows Vista Home Edition cd
    Windows 98 cd
    Microsoft Windows 95 cd.
    At this stage I just want to be able to use google and connect from PC to tv to show films.
    Is it possible for me to install Vista on this computer to do this?
    Sorry for all the hassle but when it comes to computers I'm not the brightest. Appreciate any help

Do you have a Vista retail disc or is it a Dell/HP etc branded one? If it is then you cannot install it on the machine. If it's a retail non-upgrade version you are allowed to install it provided it is not being used on another machine I am fairly certain with Vista (check the terms on the box).
    You do not want anything pre-XP connecting to the internet, and come next April, I wouldn't recommend running a XP machine on the internet either due to end of life/support ending

Nick

Just found another CD that has "Server 2003" written on it.

The windows vista cd looks like the whole package. Its in the Windows box and like you can buy in any computer shop. Also has the book attached.

and the 25 character product key

The Server 2003 CD alone doesn't help much, if you don't have the license key.

If you just want to "google and watch movies", then Windows XP is just fine.

Viste Vista is much more demanding on hardware than XP (it's even more demanding than Windows 7 and 8). You want at least a dual core processor and a minimum of 2 GB RAM, to get something that resembles a satisfying user experience out of Windows Vista.

You still haven't told us anything about the specs of this computer or make/model.

And we don't know how it ended up with a Server 2003 installation. ;)

My son put it together many years ago before he left home.
    When I switch it on the tv screen reads:
    Silicon Image inc 1997-2007
    Hitachi
    HDT721010SLA
    931 GB

My son put it together many years ago before he left home.
    When I switch it on the tv screen reads:
    Silicon Image inc 1997-2007
    Hitachi
    HDT721010SLA
    931 GB

What spec is the machine? Also as Torqay pointed out unless you payed good money for the Server 2003 license (not cheap) then it may be a counterfeit copy. I would not recommend using a server OS as a desktop one at any rate, no amount of tweaking will make them as "compatible" as a consumer level OS. There designed to run on servers to use as few resources as possible, so are missing many key components you need for desktop use. You can hack about unofficially installing things and trying to get it setup, but being honest I wouldn't bother.
    A Linux install of say Lubuntu could be a solution for you, especially if all you want to do is use it to watch Youtube and the internet. I'd certainly forget about server 03 particularly if there is a chance the license is counterfeit and if the machine won't take Vista well, Linux which is legally free would be a good route to take

Nick

That doesn't help much, only telling us it's a 1 TB HDD.

You'll get more information from the BIOS (start the PC and hit F2 or DEL). Look for information about the processor (CPU) and system memory (RAM).

I suppose your son is not around to fix it?

Hit F2 .
    Secondary hard disk 0 not found
    Secondary hard disk 1 not found
    system demension 8250 series
    12a Sataraid Bios Version 4.3.84.
    Vista loads beautifully (accepts key) until it looks for a drive. This it cannot find.
    Hitting browse does not show the c drive.

• Advertisement

Well, Windows (Vista) Setup may "load beautifully", its performance on a 2002 Dell Dimension 8250 is a different matter entirely. Let alone finding device drivers. Dell only have drivers for XP on their website.

A failing hard disk disk could be the cause of all the troubles.

The Silicon Image SATA/RAID controller with that 1 TB drive is most certainly a later addition.

To install Vista you'll need to get the chipset drivers and put them on a USB key. The browse option is actually to load the drivers from a USB drive or whatever, not locate the hard drive! I would stick a Linux distro on it myself, especially with XP being EOL next year, Vista would be likely too bloated for an older machine

Nick

Yoyo
    where can I get Linex distro?
    Thanks to everybody who have contributed.
    Please keep it up.

You could try the basic Lubuntu or Mint which are both excellent linux operating systems. you just download the .iso, burn it to a CD/DVD and install it. Full support for Flash, etc.

Nick

Many thanks.
    Will give it a try tomorrow.

Will keep you updated!!!!!

Linux Mint is such a heavyweight of a distro... don't even think about it.

Torqay
    is there an alternative?

Torqay
    is there an alternative?

Lubuntu as above, mint isn't all that bad, but your system may struggle with it. There both free anyways so if you find mint too slow just install Lubuntu instead :)

Nick

Thank you for that.

• Advertisement

Gents
    I'm bet and surrender. I just can't do it. My best bet is to buy a second hand pc that I can stick behind the tv.
    My thanks to everyone who tried...its not your fault.

"Its been emotional."

Advertisement