Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Blocklayers

Options
  • 10-08-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Can anybody tell me the going rate for blocklayers per block.Looking to get approx. 350 blocks 4" blocks layed on flat for straight forward retaining wall.Just wondering on cost of job.Waterford area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

I got a price a few weeks ago and it was 60 cent per block, that was laying blocks only so that doesn't include mixing the mortar etc. and that was for block on edge. I didn't get any more prices so I don't know what the going rate is or if its more or less when its block on flat. might give you some idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

OP will not get anyone to price on a price per block for 350 blocks. You can expect to pay by the day for a blocklayer and a labourer at the local going rate

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kkelliher wrote: »
    OP will not get anyone to price on a price per block for 350 blocks.
    Why wouldn't they?

muffler wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they?

The notional rate per block will only pay on a high quantity of blocks. At 60c a block for 350 blocks €210 would not cover the cost of a gang (1+1 or 2+1) to do the work. It is very unlikely that any blocklayer would price per block on 350 blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kkelliher wrote: »
    The notional rate per block will only pay on a high quantity of blocks. At 60c a block for 350 blocks €210 would not cover the cost of a gang (1+1 or 2+1) to do the work. It is very unlikely that any blocklayer would price per block on 350 blocks
    I see and understand your point but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a quote for the total job, regardless of size, which is effectively the same thing.

I know that if I was doing that here in Donegal I would insist on an all in price and thats how a lot of the jobs are priced here.

But different horses for different courses (no pun intended ;))

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    I see and understand your point but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a quote for the total job, regardless of size, which is effectively the same thing.

I know that if I was doing that here in Donegal I would insist on an all in price and thats how a lot of the jobs are priced here.

But different horses for different courses (no pun intended ;))

Sorry Muffler, I do think they will give a lump sum for it but I think it will be based on daily cost of man (in Waterford) as opposed to per block.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭patsy sally

hi, myself and my hubbie are in the process of getting quotes for blocklayers, one man rang back and said there are 10 thousand blocks in that house, its almost 1800 sq ft dormer and has three gables, and the blocklayer gave a price. my husband asked him to put that quote in writing and he said he would. that was a week ago and we havent heard a thing frm that blocklayer. the other two blocklayers have not contacted us since we sent them the plans 10 days ago. do blocklayers, and other tradesmen not like been asked to put the quote in writing or is the blocklayer who rang with the quote a bit of a chancer? even though he was recommended to us by a friend who recently built her house, I wonder has he decided he is not going to give a quote for the reason that if its in writing he'll have to stick to it.

any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭893bet

Can you not work out how many blocks there are in the house yourself? You do need to know.

How do ya work out how many blocks you'd need? Would it b more difficult as its an L shaped house?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How do ya work out how many blocks you'd need? Would it b more difficult as its an L shaped house?
    From the plans?

If someone said the house was 15,000 blocks, but was only 13,000 blocks, he'd be getting 2,000 blocks free, and you'd be paying him to lay 15,000 blocks. Not saying the guys a chancer, but you are leaving yourself open to be exploited if you don't know how many blocks are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

1. Maths.
    2. No.

He quoted us 5600 euro including vat for laying 10000 blocks does that seem cheap to u. But as I said he hasn't given us the written quote like he said so a bit suspicious of him. The other two blocklayer s haven't given us a quote yet so I can't comment on them. I must get the hubbie to work out how many blocks are needed, before we are caught out. Thanks for your advice guys its much appreciated.

My and my husbands house is 6.9 metres high and 11.5 metres in length. The blocklayer says 10000 but im adding up slightly over 8000 blocks. Is he trying to screw us or is he right as he said as there is a third gable on the house a lot of work is involved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. Quantity surveyor
    2. Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

hi, myself and my hubbie are in the process of getting quotes for blocklayers, one man rang back and said there are 10 thousand blocks in that house, its almost 1800 sq ft dormer and has three gables, and the blocklayer gave a price. my husband asked him to put that quote in writing and he said he would. that was a week ago and we havent heard a thing frm that blocklayer. the other two blocklayers have not contacted us since we sent them the plans 10 days ago. do blocklayers, and other tradesmen not like been asked to put the quote in writing or is the blocklayer who rang with the quote a bit of a chancer? even though he was recommended to us by a friend who recently built her house, I wonder has he decided he is not going to give a quote for the reason that if its in writing he'll have to stick to it.

any advice?

You're blocklayer may have literacy issues. Not uncommon for tradesmen to be early school leavers.

Secondly, some fairly simple maths works out the the number of m2 of blockwork in your house, however you should be concerned with getting a per job price including lintel and dpc installation etc. The "per block" thing is a method for the tradesman to price, but should not matter to you.

Work out how many sqm2 of wall you have to be build by multiplying each wall sections length by height. If it's a single skin wall (I.e indoors) then it has 10 block per sq metre. And of its a cavity wall double skinned (so the external walls) then it is 20 blocks per m2. Gables will take slightly longer. Include windows and doors as if they were solid. Is the block layer fitting insulation or are you pumping afterwards as this effect the price.

10000 blocks Sounds like a lot for an 1800sq feet dormer. Have you concrete walls upstairs? Or timber stud?

A qs to price could be invaluable. One of my regrets.

I worked out 5000 blocks for the house???? Ive multiplied it the way I was told so fingers crossed. Itl b interesting to c what the other block layers come back with but they won't get away with telling us its 10000 blocks for sure. Its bye bye to that blocklayer he thought he was bn smart but obviously wasn't smart enough to get caught. Or maybe this fella didn't want the work and just made up figures. His loss anyway. Thanks guys for all your advice you all have saved myself and my hubbie a good few bob because of this.

5-6000 blocks sounds a little closer.

5-7 k sounds about right for a good Blocklayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

lownhard wrote: »
    You're blocklayer may have literacy issues. Not uncommon for tradesmen to be early school leavers.

Secondly, some fairly simple maths works out the the number of m2 of blockwork in your house, however you should be concerned with getting a per job price including lintel and dpc installation etc. The "per block" thing is a method for the tradesman to price, but should not matter to you.

He may also be afraid of being cheated, as happened a mate of mine 2 weeks ago. Priced job, clients said they were very happy with price, then they asked him for a written quote including the VAT so the bank would release the funds.

He duly obliged, only to get a text the saturday before start date saying they were going with another builder. They were both teachers but obviously have nothing to learn.

Advertisement