Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezaholics Anonymous

Options
  • 10-08-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Thought we could do a thread just on meals that freeze well. I have turned into a freezaholic since I started living alone simple because there is too much waste otherwise. Also it saves me from going to the chipper or making something crap on days that I don't fell like cooking.

Heres a personal favourite of mine that freezes really well.

Savory Mince
    1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    500 g mincemeat (ground beef)
    1 cup water
    1 beef stock cube
    1/4 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
    Dried Herbs
    1 pinch rosemary
    1 pinch thyme
    1 pinch oregano
    1 pinch parsley
    1 dash Worcestershire sauce (about a dessertspoon)
    1 teaspoon gravy mix
    salt and pepper
    1 teaspoon cornflour (if needed to thicken the mince)
    Directions:

Heat butter or oil in a large pan, add onion and garlic.
    Sauté until onion is transparent.
    Increase heat, add mince and dash of Worcestershire sauce- stir often to break up the lumps of mince and cook until mince has browned.
    Drain fat or liquid residue.
    Add the crumbed stock cube, herbs, gravy powder, salt and pepper.
    Make sure the gravy powder is combined with the mince so it does not go lumped when the water is added.
    Slowly add the water to the mince mixture stirring all the time.
    Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    If mince needs thickening add a little cornflour (ie 1 tsp) in water to the mix to thicken.

http://www.food.com/recipe/savoury-mince-63199?oc=linkback

I usually throw in a load of veg as well and it freezes great, a real handy hearty dinner. Plus I usually do a batch of mashed potatoes once a month as well, freeze them and take them out as needed, put the two together and I have cottage pie in minutes.

Everyone feel free to add a recipe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Well we kinda have the Cooking Club....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

fussyonion wrote: »
    Well we kinda have the Cooking Club....

Well this is simply for recipes that freeze well, many don't, I love the cooking club but a lot of the recipes wouldn't freeze well, it's handy to have a few portions of something in the freezer, it stops food being wasted and saves money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I've made this loads of times (minus the wine, can't stand red wine) and its always frozen well . If I use the amounts in the recipe I get around 10 portions.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775643/cottage-pie

I made tomato sauce sometimes too and it freezes well.

For tomato sauce I use passata, tinned tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and chopped onions. I usually make about 20 portions.

Soup freezes well too, well the soups I've made. I don't have recipes to hand at the moment, but will root them out and post them.

If I am making home made pizzas, we usually have them for dinner on two or three days to use up all the toppings, but a few times we've had too much dough so I froze it and it lasted fine. I use this recipe all the times, its the best I have ever tried, and I've tried a few and always come back to this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055979898

I sometimes make bread and freeze that too.

Will try and think of other things I make that can be frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Most dishes with a high liquid content will freeze well. So any curries, stews, etc are a given.

Advertisement