Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Puppy wets his crate...HELP!

• 10-08-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I need help!
    I have a beagle 7 days he is 10weeks old.

I have been attempting to crate train him! I have sectioned the crate so he just has enough room to stand and turn around.
    The last 2 days we have found that he was wetting the bedding in his crate but was very happy to go into it to sleep. I thought I was leaving him in it too long, I bought more bedding so I could wash one while he was using the other. Then yesterday we brought him out for a pee and back to his crate, he lay down but 3 min later when I checked he peed in the crate again on his bedding.
    I have googled and re read my books on it and found that male dogs can pee on their bedding if it saps away the moisture from their skin and they don’t have to sleep in it.
    So I removed the most of the bedding leaving just a small blanket, and he wet it too.
    So I removed that and when he goes into the crate he wets himself with in minutes. I have cleaned everything and deodorised after every accident and I never punish him!
    Does he not like the crate and wees because he knows we will take him out?

What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I need help!
    I have a beagle 7 days he is 10weeks old.

I have been attempting to crate train him! I have sectioned the crate so he just has enough room to stand and turn around.
    The last 2 days we have found that he was wetting the bedding in his crate but was very happy to go into it to sleep. I thought I was leaving him in it too long, I bought more bedding so I could wash one while he was using the other. Then yesterday we brought him out for a pee and back to his crate, he lay down but 3 min later when I checked he peed in the crate again on his bedding.
    I have googled and re read my books on it and found that male dogs can pee on their bedding if it saps away the moisture from their skin and they don’t have to sleep in it.
    So I removed the most of the bedding leaving just a small blanket, and he wet it too.
    So I removed that and when he goes into the crate he wets himself with in minutes. I have cleaned everything and deodorised after every accident and I never punish him!
    Does he not like the crate and wees because he knows we will take him out?

What do I do?

How often are you taking him out to pee?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

Normally when ever He wakes,

after when we play with him.

When he wines or try to go to the door.

At least once an hour.

in fact he just woke up and let a little out so I brought him out immediately, he did a big wee in the garden and brought him back in and played with him for 2 seconds and we weed again on the floor.

at night i set my alarm for 3 am and up at 7 again. it worked the first two nights.. last night i was up having a few drinks in the house with family so I was around to bring him out at 2.30 and out at 7 again, he didn't wet the bedding. but before lunch he was in for less time and did wet it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Ok, during the day, I'd be taking him out every hour at least so he gets the idea that pee is for outside. When you bring him back in, if you're putting him back in to the crate straight away, don't play! Play brings on wee in such a young pup! He's also still only settling in to his new home so it will take time to get into a routine. At that age, I crated mine pretty much all the time in the house for a little bit with frequent breaks so she never got a chance to pee in the house.

Also, at night, what I did was set my alarm for every 2hrs at first, bring him out on lead (all pee breaks should be on lead to the area you want him to pee in), give him his 'word' when he pees, loads of praise, back in, no talk, straight into crate, set alarm again for 2hrs. Keep this up for a night or two & increase by half an hour every few nights. It might take a few weeks to get from 11 to 6am but it's well worth it.

If you play in the house, make sure it's somewhere with hard floors, keep play short & bring him out straight away after.

House training is the hardest but easiest thing, just takes a bit of trial & error and a lot of praise. But no giving out if he has an accident inside but lots of praise when he does it outside. Recognise the signs of mooching & get him outside fast. It's highly unlikely that he'll be asking to go out!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP -you've only had the dog a week. Is that right??

TBH -I think you're being a bit impatient. He's only a baby!! You're on the right track, but you need to give it time. He's undergone a lot of changes in a very short space of time; being separated from his Mum and litter mates, getting used to a new home, and getting used to a whole new life. I got my Shih Tzu mainly dry within two weeks, but he still had the odd accident!

Are you getting up to take the little guy out too? You need to be prepared to take him out a couple of times a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you cleaning up the wee with? You need to use something that will neutralise the smell or the pup will go back to the same spot - eg a biological washing powder solution. My pup is 11 weeks and we've had no accidents in the crates so far. We're down to one or two accidents a day - she's settling into a routine so getting easier to judge when she might need to go.

• Advertisement

OP -you've only had the dog a week. Is that right??

TBH -I think you're being a bit impatient.

Are you getting up to take the little guy out too? You need to be prepared to take him out a couple of times a night.

Hi yea just a week, I don't mind the accidents in the house the issue is everything I read says he won't go where he sleeps and he is! That's the reason I'm not sure if I can effectively crate train him if he's sitting in pee. And why I'm worried. I know I'm tired and stresses so I may be over reacting.

I am getting up at 3 am. Tonight I'm gonna get up twice and early in the morning.

tk123 wrote: »
    What are you cleaning up the wee with? You need to use something that will neutralise the smell or the pup will go back to the same spot - eg a biological washing powder solution. My pup is 11 weeks and we've had no accidents in the crates so far. We're down to one or two accidents a day - she's settling into a routine so getting easier to judge when she might need to go.

Yea I have a deodoriser.

I might try bio washing power for his beds...

I found things, what do you guys think of a long term confinement area for when I'm at work. It wasn't mentioned in any of my books..

http://ask.metafilter.com/114388/How-do-I-get-my-puppy-to-stop-peeing-in-her-crate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Has he been to the vets recently? It would hardly be a little infection, or maybe fear of the crate?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Has he been to the vets recently? It would hardly be a little infection, or maybe fear of the crate?

Not with me he's due in two weeks,

I think a fear of the crate might be it. But he chooses to go in when he's tired.

We had no accident last night I was up at 1, 3 and now at 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tbh I think you need to give him something you can't buy or get from a book- time! He's still settling in? Are you feeding him his meals/treats/kongs in the crate? Maybe post a pic of him in the crate too - enough room to stand up and turn around is open to interpretation and could be way too small. Here's a pic of my pup in her (upstairs) crate to give an idea of how much space she has - she moves around a lot and gets too hot so I only have vetbed/blanket on one side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement