Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants in my kitchen (what am I gunna do)

• 10-08-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭

Any idea what these guys are called. attachment

Tuesday night my kitchen was carnage, and I had to swat at least 100 of the buggers. Had nightmares that night in my sleep which wasn't very nice and in the morning I had another job getting rid of them. I'm generally tidy and do not leave food lying around and keep the place clean. Anyway I sprayed a bleach type product all along the walls underneath skirting boards by way of blocking whatever entrance they are coming through.

I've never seen such ants before, has anyone had any contact with such an odd looking ant?

I'm in Co Clare.

ps if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I'm in Clare, so is my mothers house both gardens over run (not in house yet thank god)
    Hope you get help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Isn't that an earwig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Thanks guys, that's my first time seeing an earwig. Hadn't a clue what they looked like. They seem to like beer, as most of them were congregated in my recycling box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

definately looks like an upside-down earwig to me too. Those 'pincers' are giveaways - ants dont have them, earwigs do. Earwigs come out at night, and will hide under skirting, under your sink etc. They like damp too. Dont usually come in the house, except when its hot outside. Get your vacuum cleaner, and run it all round skirting/cracks/crevices in kitchen. Empty the vac outside - far from the back door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yup earwigs! I'm in Clare too and this time of year they always come out. My cats love chacing them but alphas get their noses pinched!

Advertisement