Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increased aggression in dog

• 10-08-2013 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Okay, so we have an 8 year old dog, a family pet, that we've had since he was a puppy. He's always been loud and quite territorial, but he's been one of those that barks a lot but wouldn't actually do anything to anyone. Recently, however, we've all noticed an increase in aggression in him. He seems to become genuinely furious whenever a car comes up the driveway or if our neighbours are pottering around in their garden beside us or whatever. Recently he pulled down the curtains in the kitchen, going mad barking at our neighbours, and got the material caught in his teeth and was bleeding everywhere out of his mouth. Like I say, he's always been loud, but there is a difference now. It's at the point where I wouldn't trust him around strangers and would be genuinely worried that he would bite someone. Now, I don't know what has brought about this change. He gets walked regularly (twice a day most days), so I don't think that it's that he has excess energy. Our neighbours have a small child who the mother is very protective of, and I know that they're concerned about any animals being near him, especially dogs, and my own mother did mention to me the last day that she saw the man shouting at our dog and throwing something at him. I have a feeling that this could be a regular thing, and that he's been antagonizing the dog, which may be the reason he's become more aggressive. I don't have any proof of this, however, so I don't really want to start a confrontation, and I know it just comes from a concern for their child.

So, my question is, what do I do now? Is there anything I can do to help with my dog's aggression and to help make him calmer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

First stop is a check up at the vets to rule out any medical conditions causing the change I him. If my neighbours threw anything at my dogs I'd be having words with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

tk123 wrote: »
    First stop is a check up at the vets to rule out any medical conditions causing the change I him. If my neighbours threw anything at my dogs I'd be having words with them.

I spoke to my dad about it, and he said that he said something to the neighbours, and the man said that he was trying to stop the dog from barking at his kid and wanted to stop him from coming too near their garden.

I don't think there is anything medically wrong with him. He's fine most of the time, just lies about the place, it's just when any strangers come to the house or if our neighbours are outside their house. The level to which he gets wound up is what is bothering me, as it has increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Is he neutered OP? I wonder if he's not and there's a female in heat around? I'm not sure if this would even send him this crazy, I don't have any real experience of this myself but just thought I'd put it out there.

Also, I would agree with tk123, get him checked by a vet, I know you say you don't think there's anything medically wrong with him but you're not a vet so you wouldn't know for sure and it's worth ruling things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When you say that the man was claimed he was trying to stop your dog coming too close to his garden; does his garden back onto yours or do you allow your dog roam?

Certainly get him checked out, and explain to that guy that throwing things generally only serves to make dogs more aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

He is neutered and has been since he was young. Our neighbour's garden kind of backs onto our front garden. We don't have the dog tied up or anything, but he doesn't roam. He wouldn't wander beyond the gate into our house. He likes to stay close, but he would potter about around the perimeters of the garden, along the fence dividing our garden and our neighbour's. I think our neighbour's are just not animal people, and have a fear of dogs, which I think he can probably sense.

I know I'm not a vet, but I also know my own dog, and I'm pretty much 100% sure that there's nothing medically wrong with him. Like I say, he's aggressive all of the time. He's completely normal when he's just in the house with us. The problem only arises with strangers. I would assume that if it was a medical problem, it would be more consistent than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

We had a Bassett hound who started acting in a similar way. He started getting very aggressive when people called to the house. To cut a long story short. He was diagnosed with cancer.

Advertisement