Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'I'm grand and I'd like to stay that way diet.'

• 10-08-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Hello, something of a noob here in the health and fitness forum but I'm turning 23 in a few weeks and with the spectre of a mid-life crisis looming large I'd like to get my health and diet in order.

Currently I'm grand in terms of how I look and feel. I'm 1.73m and weigh about 64kg. I'm not trying to lose weight, nor am I trying to gain mass or worry too much about increasing strength and fitness - and that's the problem because so much of the information out there about diet is tailored towards people trying to improve themselves in some way. I'm just concerned with feeling as good in 40 years as I do now.

So I've decided to take a proper look at my diet because I've an awful habit of eating everything I get my hands on and while I'm not worried about putting on weight (I'm a long distance cyclist and when your idea of a nice relaxing day off includes 20 hours in the saddle calorie burning takes care of itself) I am concerned about what things like salt and fat and sugar are doing to my insides.

I'm also a little confused about carbs. I've heard a lot of talk about how simple carbohydrates are bad and how white bread, white rice and pasta should be avoided. But what is the actual danger here? As it stands I keep white bread to a minimum and I happen to prefer brown rice but pasta crops up regularly enough in my diet. Should I be worried? Is it just a danger of weight-gain because it's calorie heavy (which I'm not particularly worried about) or will a bowl of pasta once or twice a week be the death of me?

Also, what do you guys snack on? Obviously fruit and nuts are a good start but what about dried fruti (raisin and prunes and so on, are they as good as they are tasty?).

And when it comes to cooking, what are the healthiest methods? Should I be embracing or avoiding cooking oils (and which ones in particular?) in an ideal world should I be boiling or steaming everything?

Ok, that's all for now. Apologies for the ignorance but shure I'm workin on that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Hello, something of a noob here in the health and fitness forum but I'm turning 23 in a few weeks and with the spectre of a mid-life crisis looming large I'd like to get my health and diet in order.

Mid life crisis???
    Currently I'm grand in terms of how I look and feel. I'm 1.73m and weigh about 64kg. I'm not trying to lose weight, nor am I trying to gain mass or worry too much about increasing strength and fitness - and that's the problem because so much of the information out there about diet is tailored towards people trying to improve themselves in some way. I'm just concerned with feeling as good in 40 years as I do now.

Most good dietary/fitness advice will apply to you as health and fitness shouldn't be mutually exclusive. If you're currently happy with your weight/shape/health/energy and you've held that for a while then it's probably a case of 'if it aint broke don't fix it'
    So I've decided to take a proper look at my diet because I've an awful habit of eating everything I get my hands on and while I'm not worried about putting on weight (I'm a long distance cyclist and when your idea of a nice relaxing day off includes 20 hours in the saddle calorie burning takes care of itself) I am concerned about what things like salt and fat and sugar are doing to my insides.

Don't make it any more complicated than it has to be. You're salt, fat and sugar intake can be controlled by making the majority of your own meals from scratch. Tweak your carb and calorie intake with regard your energy expenditure.
    I'm also a little confused about carbs. I've heard a lot of talk about how simple carbohydrates are bad and how white bread, white rice and pasta should be avoided. But what is the actual danger here? As it stands I keep white bread to a minimum and I happen to prefer brown rice but pasta crops up regularly enough in my diet. Should I be worried? Is it just a danger of weight-gain because it's calorie heavy (which I'm not particularly worried about) or will a bowl of pasta once or twice a week be the death of me?

Have a read of the stickies at the top of the fitness or diet page to learn a bit more. Don't worry too much about the carbs while you're putting in 20 hours in the saddle...you'll need some to fuel it. When and if you're training drops, try reducing some calories and carbs accordingly.
    And when it comes to cooking, what are the healthiest methods? Should I be embracing or avoiding cooking oils (and which ones in particular?) in an ideal world should I be boiling or steaming everything?

Again, don't overcomplicate things, eat good sources of proteins and fats (meat/fish/eggs/nuts/dairy), add in as many different colours of fruit and veg and you're arguably getting everything you need. Mix up your sources of the above and your cooking methods and keep it as simple as that.

Because of your high energy output you'll need some carbs to bulk up your calories, watch your weight/body composition and adjust portion sizes up or down accordingly.

Advertisement