Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you attract weirdos?

• 10-08-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭

As the title says, are you a magnet for weirdos/crazies/creepy people? I firmly believe that some people unknowingly give off a vibe that says "hey, nutters, come talk to me!".

I seem to attract all sorts of oddballs. From the guy who insisted on walking with me through my college campus at night and said he'd "have to adopt me or something", to the drunk woman who tried to clean my shoes for me after I'd walked across a muddy field, to the man who followed me to my workplace and offered to be my bodyguard, to the guy who hi-fived me yelling "Catholic warriors!" and ran off, to the junkie who grabbed my arm and demanded sexual favours (he didn't get any, by the way :pac:)... just to give a few recent examples.

Some of my friends get equal amounts of weirdos talking to them, but others find my encounters hilarious because nothing like that EVER happens to them.

So, are you a nutter-magnet? Or do you walk around unaccosted by the crazies who roam the streets? :pac:

Am also open to suggestions on how to stop these people talking to me! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

No I don't attract weirdos at all.

I am one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Can I buy your nail clippings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Are you a woman-type?

Don't think men typically have these problems, although I've met a few loonies while on drugs (both them and me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Seachmall wrote: »
    Are you a woman-type?

I am indeed. But not all the loonies I've met were men...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Takes one to know one, OP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I think people think they attract weirdos more than other people do - on the bus etc. But it happens to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I have a theory about this kind of situation: it's not that you're attracting weirdos, you're just more tolerant of odd people, and you don't give off hostile vibes when they're around you, where others might.

I think people think they attract weirdos more than other people do - on the bus etc. But it happens to everyone.

You're probably right about that. But I have some friends who say they've never been talked to by any creepy or crazy stranger and who've never had particularly odd conversations or incidents of borderline stalking.

Maybe they're just better at ignoring them...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, I seem to be a magnet for them

just the other day I was chatting to a friend outside a pub and some crazy woman with no shoes came up and just grabbed me, like giving me a hug :eek: I was freaked a bit and said that I didn't even know who she was, and she was blabbering about free hugs :o I was very uncomfortable and was squirming a bit and she started hugging harder saying "don't be shy, you're not shy, look at you with all your piercings, you're not shy!"

weirdo...

Ah I'm probably one of the weirdos! I'll talk to any aul eejit :D

Yeh though, people do seem to tend to talk to me for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

I know you are but what am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

You're probably right about that.
    I don't mean it in a smart way btw, but I used to think I was a weirdo magnet, then I realised (admittedly through anecdotes only) that anyone else I spoke to on the subject felt the same way. Oddballs (bless 'em) don't discriminate I'd say. :o

Depends on the context too of course. When it comes to public transport, I don't think anyone is immune (that's what I'm referring to above). When it comes to online, probably depends on differing factors like how your personality comes across, whether there are pics of you, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Yeah I actually do attract weirdos. Maybe because my chat up line is "Hey, wanna come back to my basement to see my collection of dead bats?"

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Culpepper

A lady driver overtook me on the M50 one morning, I was doing 120 and she just glided by in a SEAT Toledo, applying her make up for crying out loud.

I thought she was weird anyway, to be doing that like :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time,

I think the OP is not from Dublin but is living there.

There's a hulk load of weird people in Dublin and non Dubs just don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'm quite attracted to weirdos. Does that make me weird?

I don't mean it in a smart way btw, but I used to think I was a weirdo magnet, then I realised (admittedly through anecdotes only) that anyone else I spoke to on the subject felt the same way. Oddballs (bless 'em) don't discriminate I'd say. :o

Depends on the context too of course. When it comes to public transport, I don't think anyone is immune (that's what I'm referring to above). When it comes to online, probably depends on differing factors like how your personality comes across, whether there are pics of you, etc.

I don't think it came across smart at all :P stop being paranoid ya freakin weirdo :D

I reckon you're dead right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

I agree with the earlier poster regarding public transport. At one stage in my life I seemed to attract individuals who wanted to share with me the contents of the brown paper bags from which they were drinking.

I also had an incident one morning, about 7.15am, at the bus stop where and individual with a large sliced pan over his shoulder (I have no idea why and did not ask) tried to start a fight with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I don't about other forms of public transport but I have never seen such a collection of weirdos as I have in bus stations, its like a Mecca for mad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I seem to attract boring 'normal' people.
    Those who think, talk and act alike and look toward the majority opinion in deciding how they feel about any given thing.
    I am the weirdo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I seem to attract weirdo's quite a lot too OP. Have recently made new friends, I warned them but they dismissed it as everyone does... that was fine until the realized the extent of it... and I don't mean the funny strange people... I mean the ones that have me quite fearful for my safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

whirlpool wrote: »
    I have a theory about this kind of situation: it's not that you're attracting weirdos, you're just more tolerant of odd people, and you don't give off hostile vibes when they're around you, where others might.

It feckin pays to be intimidating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sometimes, but I'm one of them, but giving off I'm in a bad mood vibe works aswell. I don't drink though, I do find that drunk people are more tolerant of weirdos, or weird behavior, on nights out.

wazky wrote: »
    I don't about other forms of public transport but I have never seen such a collection of weirdos as I have in bus stations, its like a Mecca for mad people.

Train stations are the same I think. I was waiting in a train station (not in Ireland) for a friend during the summer, I got a coffee and sat down, straight away two drunk homeless dudes started chatting to me. One spoke french, the other was Algerian and spoke a little English - we chatted for ages about all sorts of shyte, the algerian dude translating, me trying to use my pathetic few words of french. They insisted on buying me a coffee - when does that happen? that a homeless person offers to buy you coffee? :pac: I love that sorta thing though :D

Don't worry, I knew what you meant! :)

Yeah, public transport is a minefield for that sort of thing. I could write a book about happenings on the Luas, and I reckon most 'normal' people could. But just walking down the street?

My workmates thought I was exaggerating until they saw it first hand a couple times. Now they think it's hilarious :( (especially that guy who followed me back to work...).

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time,

I think the OP is not from Dublin but is living there.

There's a hulk load of weird people in Dublin and non Dubs just don't understand.

No sorry, I'm a Dub and have always lived here :p I meet a lot more weirdos in Dublin than anywhere else though - I've spent a lot time travelling around western Europe and never met anyone even half as crazy over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

As the title says, are you a magnet for weirdos/crazies/creepy people? I firmly believe that some people unknowingly give off a vibe that says "hey, nutters, come talk to me!".

I seem to attract all sorts of oddballs. From the guy who insisted on walking with me through my college campus at night and said he'd "have to adopt me or something", to the drunk woman who tried to clean my shoes for me after I'd walked across a muddy field, to the man who followed me to my workplace and offered to be my bodyguard, to the guy who hi-fived me yelling "Catholic warriors!" and ran off, to the junkie who grabbed my arm and demanded sexual favours (he didn't get any, by the way :pac:)... just to give a few recent examples.

Some of my friends get equal amounts of weirdos talking to them, but others find my encounters hilarious because nothing like that EVER happens to them.

So, are you a nutter-magnet? Or do you walk around unaccosted by the crazies who roam the streets? :pac:

Am also open to suggestions on how to stop these people talking to me! :p

I knew we clicked , you remembered me.
    I've made you a cake from toenails and wasps.The wasps are mine , dunno who owns the toenails though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I never get approached by weirdos since moving to Spain. :( Dublin is jam packed full of "characters" and I only realised to what extent since moving here. Probably has something to do with our shoddy public healthcare compared to here though, which isn't great. *wonky face* :-/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yeah a fair bit. If they're benign oddballs who add a bitta humour to the day, I have no issue with it. Junkies harassing me in town/bus-stops etc not so much.

I was upstairs on the 40 last year while a bunch of kids were messing around. One of them stole his mate's runner, ran up to the front of the bus past where I was sitting, threatened to dangle the shoe out the window, changed his mind as he spotted me and instead shoved the foul-smelling yoke onto my nose and ran down the bus roaring laughing. That was probably the least eventful journey I've had on the 40 (or 78a as it was back in the day :pac: ).

If nothing else, they make for amusing tales :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

I would really love to meet a really sexy weird woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I love being a weirdo you get so many odd comments made about you, its gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

My friend does. Just like flies to youknowwhat. She's a psychiatric nurse and I think she just had that kinda non judgemental patient face.

I can't be dealing with weirdos I have enough of them at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yeah I think so, although maybe that's cause I'm a bit odd myself and birds of a feather and all that.

I once stormed out of a hotel one Friday night about 4am round temple bar, phone less, after a row with the boyfriend at the time. After marching through it and down the quays and back up college green, this guy falls into step with me, asking if he could walk with me and making small chat. I was like a bull anyway, so stomped up around again with him following me. Decided I'd go to the Internet cafe that was open on the quays, cause it was cold. Guy walked in after me, and asked if he could sit with me. I said no. My boyfriend happened to pass by, in a taxi and seen my big head and came in for me, brought me back to hotel. We went for Chinese next day, and there's your man, sitting across from us haha

Weirdo is such a relative term nowadays I don't know what you mean.

Your relatives are weirdos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I don't really, being cursed with a chronic b!tchface has its perks.

My friend is a magnet for loopers though. This one lady used to sit near her on the train everyday, slipping her notes signed off with 'The Goose'. A well-meaning lady but utterly bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Your relatives are weirdos?

If you don't know who the weirdo in your family is. Then it must be you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

If you can't spot the weirdo, it means you ARE the weirdo... something like that :D

I do seem to be a bit of a weirdo magnet though (I'm a guy btw, majority of weirdo magnets here seem to be girls), but like Rasheed says- I do seem to have that sort of face that says my ears are open for business.

They'll usually spend about five minutes with me before I start freaking them out, unintentionally of course, but it's usually because I'm probably far more friendly to them than maybe they're used to, I'm a go with the flow kinda guy that takes his social cues from other people, so if they get funky, the way I see it, it's ok for me to get funky too! :D

I met a fellow boardsie for lunch the other day and she told me I talk A LOT. I do when I'm comfortable. It's not intentional :o

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cupcake83

Yes! It's almost humorous...

Czarcasm wrote: »
    If you can't spot the weirdo, it means you ARE the weirdo... something like that :D

I do seem to be a bit of a weirdo magnet though (I'm a guy btw, majority of weirdo magnets here seem to be girls), but like Rasheed says- I do seem to have that sort of face that says my ears are open for business.

They'll usually spend about five minutes with me before I start freaking them out, unintentionally of course, but it's usually because I'm probably far more friendly to them than maybe they're used to, I'm a go with the flow kinda guy that takes his social cues from other people, so if they get funky, the way I see it, it's ok for me to get funky too! :D

I met a fellow boardsie for lunch the other day and she told me I talk A LOT. I do when I'm comfortable. It's not intentional :o

Usually when someone gets funky that's my cue to run lol, you're a brave soul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

when does that happen? that a homeless person offers to buy you coffee? :pac: I love that sorta thing though :D
    I ended up sitting in Eyre square playing music with a homeless guy years ago, and afterwards he offered me a cigarette, then booze, and then money. I declined. Bizarrely, I bumped into him again in Bundoran a few months later and he offered me money then too. Maybe I looked a bit scruffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

also, often when myself and my girlfriend are out having a drink together, we get some really weird creepers approaching us. some of them can be... special.

I remember one time this guy plonked himself next to me at the bar while herself had gone to the shop for something, he couldn't seem to take the hint I've no interest at all, so luckily she comes back and I give her a kiss. well the guy just bolted upright and stormed out, even left his pint after him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Yes, an absolute magnet for weirdos.

On planes, trains, restaurants, I attract some weirdo who wants to tell me about their lost dog, themselves, or whatever.

Perhaps I have a friendly face, which makes people want to talk to me.

My wife blames me for responding to them, indeed she says that I talk to everyone. Perhaps I am the weirdo:confused:

Ficheall wrote: »
    I ended up sitting in Eyre square playing music with a homeless guy years ago, and afterwards he offered me a cigarette, then booze, and then money. I declined. Bizarrely, I bumped into him again in Bundoran a few months later and he offered me money then too. Maybe I looked a bit scruffy.

That's class!

That's what life's all about sure, meeting different people and having the chats :D

Most of my encounters aren't with the homeless but with the opposite sex lol. I don't even want to tell a few of my stories about creepy "normal" men who approach , because nobody would believe me if I did lol or maybe they would?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Ive attracted some nutjobs over the years but from my experience crazy girls are always the demons in bed :pac:

cupcake83 wrote: »
    Most of my encounters aren't with the homeless but with the opposite sex lol. I don't even want to tell a few of my stories about creepy "normal" men who approach , because nobody would believe me if I did lol or maybe they would?

I'm all ears....... of course I would believe you;)

Carry on.............:D

That's class!

That's what life's all about sure, meeting different people and having the chats :D

Exactly! I'm normally a neurotic bag of nerves on the inside and I look reserved on the outside, but then if I instantly click with somebody I'd wear the ears off them! I'd have a lot of homeless friends with the voluntary work I do and some of them are gas, I can kinda let myself out a bit more, whereas in a business environment and I even noticed this today when I was writing an e-mail earlier on- I'd to be SO formal and really think about what I was saying and how to say it in "business speak", whereas with weirdos I feel much more relaxed! :D

I'm kinda like that on boards too, I can tend to cut loose a bit in AH, then in other forums I tend to be much more reserved :o

I'm all ears....... of course I would believe you;)

Carry on.............:D

Fcuk me, it's like you read my mind! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Ive attracted some nutjobs over the years but from my experience crazy girls are always the demons in bed :pac:

Sure had my share of crazy girls in my life. Nice........:D

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Fcuk me, it's like you read my mind! :pac:
    I'm almost too embarrassed to talk about it really. I had a guy (stranger)come up to me at a social gathering and ask me out of nowhere after the usual hi how are yas ,dead serious if I liked to dominate men in the bedroom. I was like wait ,what? That's just one time. Lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement