Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of attending the Dublin Horse Show.

Options
  • 10-08-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi everyone. My friend has a great love of horses and I want to organise a trip for her to the Dublin Horse show next year, as she'll be turned 18. Can anyone give me an idea of how much admission would be for the whole event, and a rough estimate of decent accommodation? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not sure about accomodation but entry is €15 for children and students and €21 for adults. The Grand Stand is €15 everyday, except Fridays, when it's over €30. Food is quite expensive in there.
    I wouldn't get her a ticket for every day though, as it does get quite tiring. Know what she's interested in and get her a ticket for those days. I love going to the RDS but I would only go for 2 days tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

sup_dude wrote: »
    Not sure about accomodation but entry is €15 for children and students and €21 for adults. The Grand Stand is €15 everyday, except Fridays, when it's over €30. Food is quite expensive in there.
    I wouldn't get her a ticket for every day though, as it does get quite tiring. Know what she's interested in and get her a ticket for those days. I love going to the RDS but I would only go for 2 days tops.

thanks, that's good advice. I appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

There's also a season ticket, which is worth looking at if she's going to attend more than two days, but as sup_dude says it can be very tiring. For the last four years my daughter went every day, this year she went just two days and I think she found that more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Agree with all the other comments.
    Myself and the wife went on Saturday. Exhausted by the end.
    It's amazing how much money a woman can spend:D

Been to many shows in the UK and Europe but Dublin is bar far the best.

right, thanks lads! For those of you that went, did you have to pay for accomodation, did ye make a day trip of it, or did you live nearby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

burrenguy wrote: »
    right, thanks lads! For those of you that went, did you have to pay for accomodation, did ye make a day trip of it, or did you live nearby?
    I went for the Aga Khan and stayed the night. Hotel room was €100 in Harcourt St.

finbarrk wrote: »
    I went for the Aga Khan and stayed the night. Hotel room was €100 in Harcourt St.

right.. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fillie

I normally go for the Friday - Sunday as all the big classes are on the weekend, you have the aka khan friday, puissance Saturday and Grand prix Sunday. Get a Family Weekly pass works out at around €150 includes a seat for main area for every day in grandstand. log onto ticketmaster and select your seat.

for accomadtion ranges from €70-€100 a night with breakfast. I use Butlers Town house in Ballsbridge fab family run B&B and very reasonable with parking.

After that youll need spending money inside which can be quite expensive as the food in there is very over prices but all in all for any mad horsey person it is a weekend to remember abd worth every penny :D

Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

We just went for the day this year but have spent two and three days at the show in the past.
    A certain amount of planning and a large amount of cash is needed if you are staying over in Dublin. Hotels increase the prices they charge for the weekend of the show. Parking charges may apply. We parked in the grounds of the Wanderers Rugby Club for 10euro. (400 meters from the RDS)
    As Fillie mentioned the price of food is expensive in the Showgrounds.

Anyhoots. Still a great event and we are starting saving for next year. Might stay over a night. We shall see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I didn't but I seen loads of people wearing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Fillie wrote: »
    .... Get a Family Weekly pass works out at around €150 includes a seat for main area for every day in grandstand. log onto ticketmaster and select your seat...

Is €150 the approx entry & seat cost for 2 adults & 4 kids for 1 day or for 1 person for the week?

Fillie wrote: »
    I normally go for the Friday - Sunday as all the big classes are on the weekend, you have the aka khan friday, puissance Saturday and Grand prix Sunday. Get a Family Weekly pass works out at around €150 includes a seat for main area for every day in grandstand. log onto ticketmaster and select your seat.

for accomadtion ranges from €70-€100 a night with breakfast. I use Butlers Town house in Ballsbridge fab family run B&B and very reasonable with parking.

After that youll need spending money inside which can be quite expensive as the food in there is very over prices but all in all for any mad horsey person it is a weekend to remember abd worth every penny :D

Enjoy !

thanks very much for the advice.. thats really helpful :)

massive bump here, hopefully someone can advise.
    My friend and I are going to make the trip this year. I'm buying the tickets now for the Friday, and a lot of the prime seats are gone. I was wondering if the seats in Block A (bottom right hand corner of map) are any good? Will we get to see the action from there?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Block A is at the end of the area as you say so you might find it hard to see one or two fences at the opposite end - having said that the seat are usually pretty good and the big screens will be visible too.

There seems to be seats available in Block B & Block E too if you can get anywhere near the front few rows you should have a good view;

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Not to hijack the thread but whats the story with the stand opposite the grandstand?
    Theres plenty seats in the centre there, are they restricted viewing or something?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread but whats the story with the stand opposite the grandstand?
    Theres plenty seats in the centre there, are they restricted viewing or something?

i hope not, I bought two tickets there :pac:

Advertisement