Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction for Trolling?

Options
  • 10-08-2013 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I came online today as I would normally do to find I have received an infraction for trolling, bemused by this I thoroughly read through the mods reason.
    It completely puzzles me.
    This infraction was from the "You Laugh You Lose" thread found here and this was the post I made:
    "I was wondering what the hell this thread was, it's just You Laugh You Lose with a new name."
    So this is basically what happened, I was looking through my Subscription box and saw a thread named "Funny Gifs" and thought to myself, what's that?
    So after looking through several of the pages on the thread I realised it was a renamed "You Laugh You Lose" so I decided to make a post so that others wouldn't have to look through pages to find out what the thread was, ie they'd know it was YLYL from my post.
    Receiving an infraction for trying to help fellow Boardsies? Really? Perhaps if I had used foul language, quoted a pic (per the forums charter) or insulted another member then this may have been justified but it just isn't.
    DD9090's reason for this infraction was trolling which he says is;
    "posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members.."
    To gain a reaction from other members? I was by no means doing that, simply warning them about the thread's namechange.
    From Wikipedia,
    "In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people"
    Again, Was I trying to start an argument? No
    Was I trying to upset people? No
    So then why on earth would a infraction be justified? Perhaps even a private message saying,
    "Alan, you're not allowed to help others.....they can figure out for themselves." (Sarcasm) or even editing my original post.
    But a straight up infraction? So unjustified!
    Look through my 500+ posts, not one has ever been derogatory in any form and I have followed Boards' rules and indeed each individual threads rules to a tee.
    I am awaiting a response from DD9090 but I am so outraged and downright dumbfounded that I decided to post here for a hopefully quick decision.
    As with any online forum a person's reputation is everything and I feel that having an infraction would affect my otherwise grand reputation.
    Please remove my infraction, I do not deserve it al all.
    Yours,
    Alan.

(Note: The thread has since been separated into two different threads, One for Gifs {To help speed the browsing of the original thread} and the other for the original YLYL.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi AlanS181824,

Please try contacting the mod again to discuss this. If no agreement can be reached, post back here and one of the Rec CMods will look into this for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Penn wrote: »
    Hi AlanS181824,

Please try contacting the mod again to discuss this. If no agreement can be reached, post back here and one of the Rec CMods will look into this for you.
    Hi Penn,
    It's been 2 days now and I haven't received a reply back from the mod so may I have a Cmod look into this issue for me. Thanks.

Hi Penn,
    It's been 2 days now and I haven't received a reply back from the mod so may I have a Cmod look into this issue for me. Thanks.

It was the weekend so that may be why the mod hasn't gotten back to you yet. As it's an infraction and not a ban, I'd prefer to give the mod another day to respond and try to sort this out between yourselves if possible. If he hasn't replied by tomorrow, post here and a CMod will review it then.

Penn wrote: »
    It was the weekend so that may be why the mod hasn't gotten back to you yet. As it's an infraction and not a ban, I'd prefer to give the mod another day to respond and try to sort this out between yourselves if possible. If he hasn't replied by tomorrow, post here and a CMod will review it then.
    Hi Penn,
    The mod hasn't gotten back to me yet so if you wouldn't mind could you get a Cmod to look through this issue for me. Thanks.

Okay, I'll look into this and get back to you. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Okay AlanS181824, I've looked over this for you now.

I think some clarifications need to be made just to explain a few things first. YLYL is a thread for funny pictures. The Funny Gifs thread is a completely separate thread which has been around for ages. As you say, it was to help YLYL load quicker and separate the normal pictures from the gifs. You posted a gif in YLYL, so it was moved to Funny Gifs because that's the correct thread for it. However, the Funny Gifs thread was an existing thread which has been around for years.

This would be why you ended up subscribed to the Funny Gifs thread. YLYL wasn't renamed or anything, they're different threads. I think this is what caused the confusion on your part.

You trying to explain to other posters (incorrectly) that the thread had been renamed etc likely came across to other people (and myself included when I read it initially) as being dismissive of the Funny Gifs thread (complaining that it was just basically YLYL with a different name). The mod perceived this as trolling (posting in a manner to stir up trouble).

From your explanation in your opening post here, I can see this wasn't the case and you were trying to be helpful. However, to paraphrase The Simpsons, your helpful post was an answer to a question no-one asked. Nobody bar yourself was confused about the thread titles. As stated, the Funny Gifs thread has been around for years at this point.

Overall, you were trying to be helpful, so in this case I'm going to lift the infraction.

If you accept this decision, post here stating such and I'll get the infraction lifted and this thread can be marked as resolved.

Ah! Thank you so much, I was wondering what that thread was but it all makes sense now. Yeah, I by no means was trying to confuse anyone and I appreciate you removing this infraction for me! It's a nice treat to get when I'm approaching my first year on Boards ;) Thanks again, I'll be sure to think more carefully before making a post that may be slightly misleading to others in future. Regards.

No worries, and no harm done.

Infraction should be lifted within the next 24 hours. If not, send me a PM and I'll get it sorted.

This thread can be marked as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement