Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stepping Stones to a 100 Miler

Options
  • 10-08-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Thought I'd take a leaf from my good friend, Ray Lanigan's book and start a training log here for myself seeing that I've signed up for my first 100 Mile Ultra a couple of weeks ago. Its the TP100 (Thames Path 100) which is run by Centurion Running in the UK. Its not on until 3rd May 2014 so I reckon I'll have plenty of time with 10 months training.

First, a little bit of background of what can be described as an intermittent running resume at best! Any event I've ever run in has always been done on minimal training. For marathons I would generally only train for six or seven weeks followed by months of sitting on my arse until the notion took me again to do another one.. I have been quiet lucky in that I've never picked up any serious injuries but this time, I have decided to do thing the 'correct' way.

I ran the Dingle 50 Mile Ultra in 2012 on about three months training and managed a 9hr 8min finish. Other races include:
    Cork Marathon 2010
    Dublin Marathon 2011
    Waterford Marathon 2012
    Portumna 50K 2012
    Dingle 50 Mile Ultra 2012
    Clonakilty Marathon 2013
    Portumna 50k 2013 (Zero running for 4 months prior to turning up at this and had just gotten out of hospital the day before after a three weeks stay - non running related! lol - Ended up walking for long periods)

I'm slow but stubborn and an all or nothing type person. I want to train right for the first time in my life for this 100 Miler and i think this log will help me keep focused on the task in hand. As you can see I tend to ramble a bit so I apologies in advance lol

I've been running 5 days a week for the past two weeks and signed up for the Achill 39.3 Mile Ultra in two weeks time. Longest run in the past two weeks was on Wednesday this week with 31 miles. Very slow and VERY painful but glad now its done. Think it took 5hrs 20mins or something. All my runs from here on, will be detailed and timed. I realise that not a lot of people will agree with the way I do things training wise but hey I'm enjoying myself and thats the only reason I do such silly things :) Oh, and I also do all my running in Vibram Fivefingers and have done for about 3 years..

Week so far:
    Monday - 8 Miles
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 31 Miles
    Thursday Rest
    Friday - 5 Miles - Avg Pace: 9:02/Mile
    Saturday 6 Miles - Avg Pace 8:52/Mile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 timchapman

Good luck. I had a crack at the TP last year for many reasons I pulled out at 50 miles. However they are really well run races and a great atmosphere. For me I stuggled with running on flat mostly 4 foot wide towe path for so long. Maybe something to consider in your mental training. I longed for a change in gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

timchapman wrote: »
    Good luck. I had a crack at the TP last year for many reasons I pulled out at 50 miles. However they are really well run races and a great atmosphere. For me I stuggled with running on flat mostly 4 foot wide towe path for so long. Maybe something to consider in your mental training. I longed for a change in gradient.

Thanks for the info Tim. Yeah the lack of elevation change was a little off putting. I think there's only about 3000ft of elevation in total over the 100 miles which is basically table flat. Honestly, I just did a search for 100milers around May and it was the first one that popped up. I'll see how that one goes and might consider the grand slam the following year.

5 miles done tonight but felt like 10. Body just feels tired and also coming down with a dose. I reckon my immune system took a hammering after the 31 miles on Wednesday. I expected that but still, is unwelcome.

Week:
    Monday - 8 Miles
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 31 Miles
    Thursday Rest
    Friday - 5 Miles - Avg Pace: 9:02/Mile
    Saturday - 6 Miles - Avg Pace 8:52/Mile
    Sunday - 5 Miles - Avg Pace 8:26/Mile

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

we will have u hopping of the road in 10 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

Well, my suspicions of coming down with something were confirmed on Monday. I ran (and I use that word loosely) 6 miles Monday evening and was pretty much all out to get them done. Saw the doc on Tuesday - damn infection in both ears with a flu. I took Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursday off and rested up as best as possible, although i did get a swim in the pool for a half hour Thursday! By Friday I was itching to get out but thought I'd play it safe and run a slow pace. I figured that 9:30 miles were better than no miles at all, so that's what I did.

Legs felt like lead and my body felt exhausted but I managed to get 10 miles all the same. Got back out again this morning and managed 8 miles at the same pace and it did feel a little more manageable. Might try get out again tonight for another 4 or 5 miles with the dog and see how it feels. I think that if I give into the dose and mope around the place I'll just end up feeling sorry for myself.

Forgot to mention in earlier posts all of my miles are run with a 6kg back pack so it's always a little more taxing than normal.

Week 2:
    Monday - 6 Miles - 8:49 Pace
    Tuesday - Off sick
    Wednesday - Off Sick
    Thursday - Off sick (swam)
    Friday - 10 miles - 9:29 Pace
    Saturday - 8 miles - 9:31 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

wheres you achill ultra report

• Advertisement
Advertisement