Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple ipad Cracked Screen

• 10-08-2013 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

My niece's apple ipad's screen has got a large crack right across the full screen when something fell on it.

I was wondering if anyone here know's how much it will cost to get the screen replaced ? and if there is a repair shop in or around swords Co. Dublin that fixes these ipads ?

Thanks in advance.

Zenno
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

zenno wrote: »
    Hello all.

My niece's apple ipad's screen has got a large crack right across the full screen when something fell on it.

I was wondering if anyone here know's how much it will cost to get the screen replaced ? and if there is a repair shop in or around swords Co. Dublin that fixes these ipads ?

Thanks in advance.

Zenno

Probably not worth it -more damage can be done replacing the screen.

Best plan is to bring it to the Apple Store in Belfast and pay them 200GBP (approx) to have it replaced on the spot. Probably going pay most of that anyway, to get a new (non-genuine) screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Depends on what iPad it is. Ipad 2 can be replaced for €100 or less the last time I checked

guil wrote: »
    Depends on what iPad it is. Ipad 2 can be replaced for €100 or less the last time I checked

That's true, my guy tells me the original iPad was one of the trickiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

An idea of pricing for you
    http://www.ipod-rescue.com/ipad.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

culabula wrote: »
    That's true, my guy tells me the original iPad was one of the trickiest.

Actually the iPad 1 is the easier of the bunch iPad 2 is tricky to repair as the touchscreen is sealed with adhesive so it takes a lot of time/effort to remove the screen and you can cut the ribbon cables of the mute switch, volume buttons and wifi antenna, if not done properly.

Sealing the replacement screen is a bitch too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Brigidanne

I dropped my iPad and had the screen repaired at FIXIYin Dublin. All seemed well for a couple of weeks until I noticed that at both points where I held the screen with my thumbs....the screen began to bend and crack....I have been told by a tech professional that there two grades of screens used by repair companies and that it looked to him like my screen was not Grade A but Grade B....

I went back to Fixiy to be be told that 'I must have dropped it again' as there was 'no way' that the screen could warp and crack in this manner....well, FIXIY.....YOU ARE WRONG.....it did happen but unfortunately for me I am unable to 'prove' it.....I am so, so disappointed to have been treated so off-handedly. I will definitely check the quality of my replacement screen next time I hand over money in good faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Hi, I'm confused about the cost of fixes I'm seeing. My 3 year old dropped ours about 20 minutes ago. Serves us right for letting him walk around with something that's worth more than our car.
    It's an iPad 4th generation wi-fi. The glass is cracked (smashed) but still working. The link above would suggest 80 euro to fix the front glass, but culabula you seem to be suggesting 200+ sterling. I'm missing something obviously. It's less than 1 year old and we have the apple receipt.

Thanks for any advice folks.

redser7 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm confused about the cost of fixes I'm seeing. My 3 year old dropped ours about 20 minutes ago. Serves us right for letting him walk around with something that's worth more than our car.
    It's an iPad 4th generation wi-fi. The glass is cracked (smashed) but still working. The link above would suggest 80 euro to fix the front glass, but culabula you seem to be suggesting 200+ sterling. I'm missing something obviously. It's less than 1 year old and we have the apple receipt.

Thanks for any advice folks.

Hi. My suggestion was for, I believe, an out-of-warranty damaged iPad.

These things are notoriously difficult to fix and as we've read, fixes are not always successful.

Yes, you might be able to get it fixed for 80€ but it may not be a fix that will last long. All I was doing was reminding that it can be swapped out in an Apple Store for a replacement model for 200+GBP if a repair proves impossible or unsatisfactory.

As for the vintage of your own model and your receipt, I'm afraid, since you have caused the damage yourself that it is unfortunately irrelevant. Your choices are to find an irreproachable third party to replace the screen (which may not be the quality of the original) or get it replaced by Apple for a not inconsiderable sum.

Got it, Thanks culabula. I'll get ringing round so and see what's what.

Sorry to hear about your iPad.....there are lots of places you can go to get these fixed....just be careful that you are getting a genuine top of the range screen replacement...as I had mine fixed by FIXiY and the screen they put in was so weak it started to warp and crack a couple of weeks after. As I could not PROVE it was a faulty screen they more or less told me to get lost....so now I have to pay someone else to do it and it looks like it will cost a little more....as the top grade screens are more xpensive....still....live and learn etc.........

• Advertisement

Thanks for the warning brigitanne. I spoke to a chap here and he said they use genuine apple parts. Seemed like a genuine chap. 110 for a replacement ...
    http://www.repairmyipad.ie/index.php/repairmyipad-contact.html

....sounds like a good price and thanks for the link.....I will contact him also....for my screen

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning brigitanne. I spoke to a chap here and he said they use genuine apple parts. Seemed like a genuine chap. 110 for a replacement ...
    http://www.repairmyipad.ie/index.php/repairmyipad-contact.html

I see AppleCare + has just been launched in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Got mine done by Fixiy around Christmas time, but the kids have dropped & broken it AGAIN! I was very happy with the job Fixiy did the last time so think I'll give them a go again ..... Don't think anyone uses genuine Apple parts except Apple AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Used iRepair a few months back .... did a very tidy job. As far as I know the owner of the site is on here a lot!
    link

Hi Spiderski....I never said that FIXiY did or did not....use genuine Apple replacement parts....what I said was....that I had been told by an expert that there are at least two grades of replacement screens available to buy.....eg. A grade and a B grade.....FIXiY appear to use the latter yet charge for the former.....

...also If you are anyway technical....I watched a video on youtube showing how to replace an iPad screen yourself if you just order the screen online......it was easy peasy really and I wish I had a techie brother who would not be afraid to do it for me......if you watch the vid.....it takes about half an hour max to do the job

Just giving you my experience. I found their service to be excellent and had no problem with the parts they used. Would highly recommend them for iPad repairs.

As regards fixing things yourself, this is the same with pretty much anything in life - if I spent enough time I would never have to pay anyone for any repair or maintenance services on my car, house or anything else - but I would prefer to pay someone to it for me.

....maybe a step too far honey.....you actually sound as if you work for them

Don't work for them, and have no association with them other than I have used them a couple of times and found them very good. The economy needs more small companies like this. Any business will have some failures - im just giving balance to your obvious annoyance with a bad experience you had.

Also, please don't question my credibility on Boards.ie when you have just registered and have 6 posts, all criticizing the one company.

• Advertisement

...am glad you acknowledge the possibility of 'failure' by this company.....and hope you also acknowledge that I have every right on this forum to 'voice my suspicions' about someone who is determined to do such an amazing sales pitch for a company you have used once.....and by the way....this is the reason I questioned your credibility....I actually think that they SHOULD be paying you.

Brigidanne wrote: »
    ...am glad you acknowledge the possibility of 'failure' by this company.....and hope you also acknowledge that I have every right on this forum to 'voice my suspicions' about someone who is determined to do such an amazing sales pitch for a company you have used once.....and by the way....this is the reason I questioned your credibility....I actually think that they SHOULD be paying you.

Listen, I know you're new here and all but kindly, er, wind your neck in.

And don't address people as "honey".

Just as a follow up ... Picked up the repaired iPad this afternoon. Paid 110 and had it fixed within 24 hours. Looks brand new, will post if there are any problems but I'm happy with the service so far.

I think earlier iPad screens, gen 2, are 90 to fix btw

.....and as moderator....what exactly do you object to...my language....my opinion or just the fact that I disagree with someone....what exactly ARE the rules of this game...?

Nice to hear you're pleased with www.repairmyipad.ie.....they shall be my next port of call.

Brigidanne wrote: »
    .....and as moderator....what exactly do you object to...my language....my opinion or just the fact that I disagree with someone....what exactly ARE the rules of this game...?

The rules of this game, as you put it, are available for all to read.

Well I have just read them and...am confused but I' m sure you are much more 'au fait' with them then I ....so can I respectfully ask what rule I have broken

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Just cracked my screen today. Repairmyipad contact page is down. Redser can you tell me where in Dublin they are located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Never mind I googled it!

A wee story. About one week after we got the screen fixed my wife dropped it. Smashed again. I was fit to throw the damn thing out. Anyway brought it back and they fixed it again, this time for free. You get a 3 month warranty which covers a free fix :) Went straight out and bought a smart case out of the money I thought I was going to spend getting it fixed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭tombrown

Looking for some advice.

I dropped my son's IPAD mini last night - it has an arced crack from the bottom left to top left corner, but it is not visible when the screen is on. there is some visible damage in each of those two corners, but outside the visible screen area.

The IPAD still works fine.

Apple want €240 to repair/replace, or i could do to a 3rd party for much less, but would lose the warranty (it is only 3 months old) and can I really trust a third party?

If I dont repair the screen will it get worse?

I don't know where you are but I used this crowd and was very happy ...

http://www.repairmyipad.ie/index.php/repairmyipad-home.html

When our ipad screen broke the shards of glass were deadly sharp so I would be concerned about a child using it with a crack in case some glass came away. But that's just an opinion. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭tombrown

He used it cracked for almost a year, but eventually the screen got so bad we had to replace it; I found a place in limerick that did it for €100. As soon as I paid that, one of my friends at work told me he just fixed his son's one using parts bought off ebay for €20 .... next time

Advertisement