Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice on a financial system I'm setting up

Options
  • 10-08-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have a student account with ulsterbank and I plan to open a savings account and a separate account for bills. I'm about to move into a new apartment with a friend of mine and the separate account is for both of us to deposit money for bills. Then every utility thats used by both of us is linked to the account and debited every month. The savings account is going to have a set amount automatically sent to it and won't be touched. It'll be the emergency fund so no cards or other temptations.

Which bank and account should I go for either ? I was thinking of setting both up as savings accounts with direct debit pointing to one but I'm not sure if thats kosher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

A savings account will not allow direct debits.

You would need to open a joint account with your friend, which will be very complicated or you can open it in your sole name and give him or her a lodgement slip. You can order a deposit book on Anytime Banking or they could transfer in using the sort code and account number.

You will probably have fees on that account if its a current account. You can ask the bank to designate it as a student account but if you already have one then I don't think you can have two.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FenJai

I currently have a student account with ulsterbank and AIB. I suppose I could use the AIB account as the bills account and open a savings account to drop in a few quid each month.

Which bank offers the best savings account ?

Advertisement