Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Examiner 10.08.13

• 10-08-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Noticed that price was €2 or £1
    I will be taking the obvious route and not buy it anymore.
    It's the only way to beat such Rip Off organisations - hit them in their pocket.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Voting with your feet is the only way to go. That's what I do myself. Take my custom elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

I noticed this ages ago, also CMP milk have reduced the size of their 2 litre milk carton to "family size 1.75 litre" whats that about? needless to say I stopped buying CMP milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Twickers wrote: »
    It's the only way to beat such Rip Off organisations - hit them in their pocket.

This isn't really a rip-off. The Irish Examiner would sell almost all of their papers in Ireland, so the number of people buying the paper in the UK would be very small, if anyone at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

jahalpin wrote: »
    This isn't really a rip-off. The Irish Examiner would sell almost all of their papers in Ireland, so the number of people buying the paper in the UK would be very small, if anyone at all

Except that when a large UK retailer does the same, but with a higher Irish price, we're told that the number of sales in Ireland is much smaller, the UK has economies of scale, transport costs to Ireland, etc.

I think there's a big VAT factor with newspapers (Is the UK VAT-free?), but that doesn't explain things.

I think there's a similar pricing arrangement between Ireland and UK for other Irish newspapers. I'd like to know the reason. There must be a reason - they're hardly selling in the UK at a loss. And I know newspaper publishers aren't making buckets of cash here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Twickers wrote: »

If it said €2 or £1.70 would you buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I would imagine that the only places in England you could buy it is in a couple of the airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

reprazant wrote: »
    I would imagine that the only places in England you could buy it is in a couple of the airports.

Sterling price is more likely for NI.

VAT is only 9%, cheaper distribution may also be a small factor but its more likely that they sell it cheaper as they want to try boost circulation up there - even the most Irish-feeling nationalists that I know generally don't buy "southern" papers. Sunday World seems to be an exception to the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Read it online myself everyday for FREE :-)

Advertisement