Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Irish soccer have a problem with hooliganism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Having lived in Phibsboro and seen the Garda presence first hand, and have had to put up with the nuisance that is Dalymount park and its cohort of "fans" I can well believe that fact.

I grew up near lansdowne and the garda presence is much more of a nuicance there than by dalymount. Does this mean there is a hooligan problem with the national teams fans?
    For the record i have lived beside dalymount for two years without being inconvienienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Only thing missing is excitement and talent.

Is that a joke? You could get excitement at an u-12 match or at a junior match on a Sunday morning.

Do all the players on the pitch have to be earning 50k a week before you deem it exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Is that a joke? You could get excitement at an u-12 match or at a junior match on a Sunday morning.

Do all the players on the pitch have to be earning 50k a week before you deem it exciting?

Don't get wound up Henlars. It's just that they don't hear that poxy tune " The fields of Athenry " at LOI matches. And free beer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

How come this thread is allowed in After Hours when so many other sports related threads get locked....oh wait, its a negative thread thats mainly criticizing a sport and its fans rather than having something positive to saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Jumboman wrote: »
    Is there a crossover between organised crime and hooliganism ie if someone is a serious hooligan then their also a gangster ?

Brit films over the last 10 years have showed hooligans and gangsters as being one and the same.

Yes, many of Ireland's leading footie firms like to indulge in a spot of cigarette smuggling, tiger kidnapping, diesel laundering, jaywalking, and a bit of genocide, though the latter one mainly just during the off season due to boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Jumboman wrote: »
    Is there a crossover between organised crime and hooliganism ie if someone is a serious hooligan then their also a gangster ?

Brit films over the last 10 years have showed hooligans and gangsters as being one and the same.

The vast majority of hooligans, past and present, in the UK would be ordinary working class men. They would have normal jobs, families etc. I would think its no different here.

Omackeral wrote: »
    And they are?...

The clubs they are linked to have already been named on this thread. Wouldn't take a genius to work out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

There has been trouble at 2 Dundalk matches this season, Bohs Away and Bohs at Home

Now when I say trouble, Teenage lads drunk and shouting abuse, i wouldnt say there was 10 thumps thrown

Some lads got banned from Oriel over the Bohs home game a few weeks back, 2 of these were up in court for getting arrested (id say this is how the club identified them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

we are bohs
    we are bohs
    we are bohs

we are bohs
    we are bohs
    we are bohs

we are bohs
    we are bohs
    we are bohs

we are bohs

WE ARE BOHS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

we are bohs
    we are bohs
    we are bohs

we are bohs
    we are bohs
    we are bohs

we are bohs
    we are bohs
    we are bohs

we are bohs

WE ARE BOHS

...but what if you weren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Nodin wrote: »
    ...but what if you weren't?

they'd be normal people :D

Arrested at 11:30 when the game would of ended about two hours earlier. Even if it was a fight between people who had attended the game, I wouldn't call it football hooliganism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Arrested at 11:30 when the game would of ended about two hours earlier. Even if it was a fight between people who had attended the game, I wouldn't call it football hooliganism.

It was between the two groups of fans, that's how it always happens nowadays, never in the ground.

big trouble?

So you're telling me that video isn't big trouble?

...it's a bit 'handbags at dawn' tbh. Or at midnight, if ye prefer.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...it's a bit 'handbags at dawn' tbh. Or at midnight, if ye prefer.

Aye I see it everynight around my town.

no its not i've seen worse

• Advertisement

....to be honest, for midnight mass at Christmas a local church, even in the early 90's, had to have a security detail of gardai present, depending on who and how many were 'out' at the time.

Is your grand quest in life to seek out videos apparent fights between Bohs & Rovers 'fans' on boards and inform people of who they are and why they are fighting?

What would you call it? It was an organised fight between supporters of two of Dublin's football clubs.

What would you call it? It was an organised fight between supporters of two of Dublin's football clubs.

so called

Is your grand quest in life to seek out videos apparent fights between Bohs & Rovers 'fans' on boards and inform people of who they are and why they are fighting?

Isn't that what the thread is about?

OK fair enough but this is the first such incident I've heard about in a long time so I'd hardly call it a problem. Go and look at the mayhem in the centre of any city or town in Ireland tonight where there is no football involved. Now that's a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Lets call a spade a spade. These scum attach themselves to Bohs or Rovers and use them as a vehicle for their sad behaviour.

They spent the whole game last night goading each other. The football was just a backdrop.

They are NOT supporters.

OK fair enough but this is the first such incident I've heard about in a long time so I'd hardly call it a problem. Go and look at the mayhem in the centre of any city or town in Ireland tonight where there is no football involved. Now that's a problem.

Incidents every single derby game. And on other occasions too.

Sounds like there is a small problem with a problem with a small element. What about all the other clubs in the league?

Sounds like there is a small problem with a problem with a small element. What about all the other clubs in the league?

Yes.

As I said on a previous post, this issues surrounds two clubs. While there may be incidents here and there at other grounds through the years, it doesn't compare to the organised hooliganism at Bohs/Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Is Austria a hotbed of football hooliganism?

Or how about Finland? They look proper nouoghty over there.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/a-league-melbourne-victory-and-melbourne-heart-fans-rivalry-turns-nasty/story-e6frf7kx-1226000426337
    Or what about Australia?

Egypt, Serbia, Croatia, Turkey, Greece, Brazil, Argentina, Bulgaria, Romania, Iran, Italy, Russia, Holland.
    All countries with actual hooligan issues

You can pick a couple of isolated incidents like last night and a few over the past ten years and state that it has a problem.

However using that flawed logic American Football has a problem with murderers, Gaelic Football has issues with kidnapping and rugby with players trying to blind each other.

It's bollox though. We've plenty of problems in Ireland, football hooliganism really isn't one of them though.

• Advertisement

Never once did I say that football violence in the LOI is comparible to other countries that you have mentioned. I didn't say it was a huge problem either.

To clarify what I actually did say; there is an organised hooligan element attached to two clubs. Every time they play and on other occasions there is clashes between them. It's not 'isolated' incidents and dates back a lot longer than ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Won't somebody think of the childten.?

I've been going to LOI games since 1988 and bar an incident involving a handful of Shamrock Rovers 'fans' in Sligo last year I never witnessed any trouble. Those who caused the trouble that night are apparently banned from their home games so they don't really have any association whatsoever to the club or to the league.

Drunk lads shouting a bit of abuse is the worst you generally see.

There may be an odd isolated incident, but to say Irish football has a hooligan problem is madness.

If somebody who has been going to games regularly for as long as I have wants to dispute that, then fine, but somebody who doesn't follow the league trawling Youtube for an odd video really shouldnt have their opinions listened to.

Never once did I say that football violence in the LOI is comparible to other countries that you have mentioned. I didn't say it was a huge problem either.

I never claimed you did. The title of the thread states "Does Irish soccer have a problem with hooliganism." Hooliganism should never happen but in comparison to other countries it's non existent. Part of that post was directed at the OP.

I do however have an issue with your phrase "football violence". This implies that violence happens between fans inside stadiums. Last night's incident was 30 mins away from Dalymount.
    Violence is complete and utter hysteric description of the event. There was no serious injuries or property damage. Quite simply that video from Christ Church shows sixty pissed teenagers running at each other for a minute and a half and then proceeding to run away from each other.
    Again that's no excuse for what they were doing but teenagers will find some reason justify their antics whether its a football club, school or town/area rivalry.
    To clarify what I actually did say; there is an organised hooligan element attached to two clubs. Every time they play and on other occasions there is clashes between them. It's not 'isolated' incidents and dates back a lot longer than ten years.

"Hooligan Element"... In reality it was a couple of drunk schoolchildren.
    "Organised"..... They send a text to each other.
    "Every time they play" & "It's not 'isolated' indidents" ...

Shamrock Rovers & Bohs play each other three times per season. I think there are five videos online the first one dating from six years ago.
    In the age of smartphones, there would be more than five videos if it happened every time they played.

We face enough obstacles in the League of Ireland without people giving it an unwarranted reputation of it being violence ridden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

from what your saying yourself it is isolated... to two clubs and their derbies... altho when i was living in the area around dalymount those spandau ballet derived chants would put the fear of god into you if you ventured to a game :pac:

as everyone here said there is nothing in the grounds, im pretty sure the "fans" in incidents are banned from the grounds, anytime iv bothered to look into an incident, that has been the case. they are just knackers pure and simple. clubs sometimes send officials to away games if they hear they are going to attempt to go a game.

just wondering but have you any suggestions about what can be done about a bunch of eejits kicking off at midnight? what more are the clubs even meant to do about it? when they are a few kilometres from the stadium & the match ended 2 hours before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I've attended LOI games since I was a kid and its only in the last ten years that I've seen these wannabe hooligans/hard men at matches trying to emulate all those sh1t English hooligan films and documentaries which glorify all that 'football firm' nonsense.

We only ever have problems when Bohs and Rovers come to play us, never at their grounds. Its always the same small group of muppets dressed in their football casual brand label uniforms (as seen on TV), trying to start fights with young lads who just want to watch the match, spitting at stewards and throwing golf balls, darts, flares, etc. etc. etc.

Having Garda riot squad, dog units, horses, helicopter etc. attend matches to deal with these muppets is neccessary, but is a shocking waste of their time and resources.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I've attended LOI games since I was a kid and its only in the last ten years that I've seen these wannabe hooligans/hard men at matches trying to emulate all those sh1t English hooligan films and documentaries which glorify all that 'football firm' nonsense.

We only ever have problems when Bohs and Rovers come to play us, never at their grounds. Its always the same small group of muppets dressed in their football casual brand label uniforms (as seen on TV), trying to start fights with young lads who just want to watch the match, spitting at stewards and throwing golf balls, darts, flares, etc. etc. etc.

Having Garda riot squad, dog units, horses, helicopter etc. attend matches to deal with these muppets is neccessary, but is a shocking waste of their time and resources.

Out of interest who do you support?

Actually never mind Walter Mitty. It's difficult to believe you've ever actually been to a game if you're claiming darts & golf balls have been thrown at a League of Ireland game.

Madworld wrote: »
    Actually never mind Walter Mitty. It's difficult to believe you've ever actually been to a game if you're claiming darts & golf balls have been thrown at a League of Ireland game.

Yes I have seen golf balls and darts thrown at matches. Also one of our stewards nearly lost an eye a few years ago when he was walloped over the head with a brick.

So in as gentle a way as I can put it kindly fvck off with you walter mitty comments

Golf balls and darts?

Whatever.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Golf balls and darts?

Whatever.

Here's a few examples............

http://foot.ie/threads/5043-Matthews-critical-of-Rovers-officials?

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local/bohs-fans-turn-longford-town-cup-match-ugly-1-3013432

Have to dash off now, we're playing at 7.30

A link from 11yrs ago. Really?

[QUOTE=Gee Bag;86051777http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local/bohs-fans-turn-longford-town-cup-match-ugly-1-3013432

Have to dash off now, we're playing at 7.30[/QUOTE]

And I was at that match down in Longford. And that report is completely inaccurate.
    I'm not a hooligan and I was bloody pepper sprayed. I think this picture tells the whole story.

20110827203648.jpg

Unfortunately I can't embed the link though.

I thought you saw it yourself?

Plus foot.ie is full of bed wetter weirdos obsessed with hooliganism and attendance ratios.

I thought you saw it yourself?

I did see this incident and others like it
    Plus foot.ie is full of bed wetter weirdos obsessed with hooliganism and attendance ratios.

Agreed

A link from 11yrs ago. Really?

Yes. really. You pretty much called me a liar for saying I saw golf balls etc. being thrown at matches. I give you proof of one such incident that I saw. Quit moving the goal posts.
    And I was at that match down in Longford. And that report is completely inaccurate. I'm not a hooligan and I was bloody pepper sprayed.

I was at that game as well and saw the whole incident and I'd say the report is very accurate. The cops did go over the top with the pepper spray, but they were outnumbered and dealing with a massive brawl.

I think this picture tells the whole story.

20110827203648.jpg

With respect I don't think it does. A more representative image would be the Bohs steward getting the head walloped off him by Bohs supporters for trying to stop known troublemakers entering the ground.

I've been going to LOI games since 1988 and bar an incident involving a handful of Shamrock Rovers 'fans' in Sligo last year I never witnessed any trouble. Those who caused the trouble that night are apparently banned from their home games so they don't really have any association whatsoever to the club or to the league.

Drunk lads shouting a bit of abuse is the worst you generally see.

There may be an odd isolated incident, but to say Irish football has a hooligan problem is madness.

If somebody who has been going to games regularly for as long as I have wants to dispute that, then fine, but somebody who doesn't follow the league trawling Youtube for an odd video really shouldnt have their opinions listened to.

You're in denial.

Just another example which isn't bohs rovers

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2054994297

You're in denial.

How so?

Him and countless others here are league of Ireland long-timers and have been all around the country at games.

My son is 5 and will be getting his season ticket next year. I have zero qualms about bringing him to games. Do you think I'd willingly bring my child to a dangerous environment?

I've seen two semi-serious incidents and I've been going to games since '97. Both basically handbags.
    The most dangerous incident I was present at involved kids not at the match throwing rocks over a wall into the crowd so hardly the fault of football fans.

You're in denial.

Just another example which isn't bohs rovers

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2054994297

How many LOI games have you been to?

I've been to hundreds and I've only seen one incident of fans been attacked by other fans.

How many LOI games have you been to?

I've been to hundreds and I've only seen one incident of fans been attacked by other fans.

100s too and I have seen trouble in
    Showgrounds
    Ballyboffey
    Tolka
    Limerick
    Dundalk
    Galway
    Talla
    Derry
    Cork, numerous occasions

• Advertisement

How so?

Him and countless others here are league of Ireland long-timers and have been all around the country at games.

My son is 5 and will be getting his season ticket next year. I have zero qualms about bringing him to games. Do you think I'd willingly bring my child to a dangerous environment?
    If you read the thread it has been stated many times most of the trouble doesn't take place in the grounds, so I wouldn't expect you to see it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement