Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher cert in computing and applications support

Options
  • 11-08-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

I'm considering taking the part time higher certificate course in NCI in computing and applications and support.

Would anyone have any insight into this course?

Is it any good?

Does it open the door for career prospects?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

nate19841 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering taking the part time higher certificate course in NCI in computing and applications and support.

Would anyone have any insight into this course?

Is it any good?

Does it open the door for career prospects?

Thanks

Hi Nate,

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. The syllabus is identical to the first two years of the Computing degree. Then if you want you can just go straight into year 3 of the degree program and complete it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nate19841

Cool, might see ya there so!

Have you heard anything about the course any good reviews/potential job prospects?

If you do a search in this forum there are a few people who spoke about it. The syllabus is the same as the degree so have a read of the degree course discussion aswell. Mostly positive from what I've read! I also spoke to the course director at the open day last week and he seems really sound. They don't go too hard on part time students in terms of work load and he said you can get a lot of it done in class.

In terms of jobs I'm not sure but it can only improve our chances.

I got accepted this week, I'll see ya there :D

Any idea what a typical timetable is like? Are there classes every saturday? What time would the classes finish midweek???

It's all on the website man! Classes are Tuesday 6.30-10.30, Thursday 6.30-10.30 and Saturday 9-4.

• Advertisement

Registered and paid. No turning back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

I'm very interested in doing this course. Just wondering how you find it? Any feedback greatly appreciated, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

ShamFeen wrote: »
    I'm very interested in doing this course. Just wondering how you find it? Any feedback greatly appreciated, thank you.

I did it between 2012-2015. I found it to be a mixed bag of too much theory and outdated technologies. I believe it is becoming more geared towards business/marketing students because in first year Operating Systems was a module you had to do but now they give you the choice of OS or Marketing so basically relegating OS to a selective module whereas you could learn much from it about Windows, Linux, how data is stored and transferred etc. ITB might be a better option for the higher cert in computing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I literally just finished this course, i got my results a week ago, and graduate with a 2:1.

I loved the course, and the college.

Any specific questions, ask away ?

Advertisement