Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the title but I wasn't sure what would suit.

So basically my parents are using an old Eircom broadband modem that only has DSL wired internet connection and I was just wondering if I would be able to swap it for my old wireless Eircom modem that I had before I switched to UPC. Would this work?

Thanks

Comments

Shouldn't be a problem. DSL modems are interchangeable. If both modems are configured for Eircom and haven't been tinkered with then it should just be a straight swap.

Just a note though, the default wireless security on the older Eircom routers is almost non-existent so you might want to change the encryption type to WPA or WPA2 and change the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thanks, I did think that and have tried the swap already but the modem displayed four solid green lights on the Ethernet 1.2.3.4

Here's a PIC of the modem

That doesn't sound right, the Ethernet lights should only light up if something is connected to them. If there isn't then the router probably isn't booting up properly. You could try inserting a pin or paper clip into the reset hole on the side, near the Ethernet ports, and see if that revives it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Karsini wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right, the Ethernet lights should only light up if something is connected to them. If there isn't then the router probably isn't booting up properly. You could try inserting a pin or paper clip into the reset hole on the side, near the Ethernet ports, and see if that revives it.

Thanks, Its been on top of a wardrobe gathering dust for the last couple of years so probably just needs resetting.. I never noticed the hole on the back for reset:o

I'll try it again next weekend when I'm home.

Thanks again

Advertisement