Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish people's attitude towards mopeds/scooters?

• 11-08-2013 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello, I was just wondering about what is people's attitudes towards scooters, because I know we don't have much of a scooter culture here (well, not where I live anyway) but I was hoping to get one soon.

Thing is I am 20 now, and for years have been frustrated over not being able to drive or afford a car and at the same time not being able to apply for certain part-time jobs at weekends or at the summer because
    it all requires own transport at times I am not able for, so after seeking advice, I thought a scooter might be an easier option since petrol and insurance is really cheap and it might be quicker to learn how to drive it.

But what would people attitudes be towards scooters? I mean I know I should not care what people think, and don't worry I will be still getting one, but at the same time, I would not like to be a burden on the roads and have people beep or give out to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

A lot depends on where you live imo. If you're out the sticks then I wouldn't consider it at all but if you're just using it to get around town then I'd belt away. Not the best yokes to be using on main roads either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

You pay you tax and you drive your bike/car/van/truck or whatever like the rest of us.
    Not what people think, just stay safe on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Hello, I was just wondering about what is people's attitudes towards scooters, because I know we don't have much of a scooter culture here (well, not where I live anyway) but I was hoping to get one soon.

Thing is I am 20 now, and for years have been frustrated over not being able to drive or afford a car and at the same time not being able to apply for certain part-time jobs at weekends or at the summer because
    it all requires own transport at times I am not able for, so after seeking advice, I thought a scooter might be an easier option since petrol and insurance is really cheap and it might be quicker to learn how to drive it.

But what would people attitudes be towards scooters? I mean I know I should not care what people think, and don't worry I will be still getting one, but at the same time, I would not like to be a burden on the roads and have people beep or give out to me.

Just ride with the courtesy you would expect from other road users.
    Keep in and allow people to over take on fast main roads and take command of the lane when you are in the city. I don't think there is an attitude toward scooters personally ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Scooters can be nifty and pretty cool.

There's an old joke involving some commonality between an overweight lass, a scooter, and the opinions of the friends. Not that funny anymore given that scooters are viewed better these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember back in the late 90's or thereabouts when scooters were the almost exclusive domain of 'youngfellahz' zipping around the place in tshirts, with their helmets balanced on top of their heads. They travelled in flocks. If you nearly ran over one scooting out of a side street, you'd better slow down, because 2 or 3 of his mates were right behind him! Lunacy.

These days, I'd say they're a cheap and nifty way of getting about the city. Follow the rules and pay attention and you'd be grand. Just make sure the helmet is fully on your head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/scooters-for-sale/italjet-dragster-180/5220337 sorta yoke instead of smaller ones ?

be better able to keep pace with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

Scooters look **** but are the mutts nuts for getting around, I drive an xj 650 for fun on a Sunday but drive my 125 scooter all week for getting to work, there so easy going, cheap and stress free. You get less respect from cars but if you stand your ground when your in the right and don't cause problems( like driving slow in an outside lane) you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

gctest50 wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.co.uk/scooters-for-sale/italjet-dragster-180/5220337 sorta yoke instead of smaller ones ?

be better able to keep pace with things.

Yep those type of scooters. :)

deccurley wrote: »
    A lot depends on where you live imo. If you're out the sticks then I wouldn't consider it at all but if you're just using it to get around town then I'd belt away. Not the best yokes to be using on main roads either.

When you say out the sticks, do you mean the countryside, because that is where I actually do live. If so how come you would not consider it? :confused::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

When you say out the sticks, do you mean the countryside, because that is where I actually do live. If so how come you would not consider it? :confused::(

From a practical viewpoint, small wheels don't fit well with some of the bumpy / potholed / riven surfaces you find on some country roads (not all are as bad as made out to be). Other than that there's no problem imo; just take it easy, be sure to be seen and understand you have feck all margin for error on 2 wheels. Although you'll probably be heard miles away, tractors might not see nor hear you and could pull out of a side gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

From a safety point of view Im not sure that I would be overly keen to drive a relatively slow moving vehicle like a moped on Irish country roads. Im probably being overly cautious, and it would depend on the type of road, but I just dont think its something that would make me feel particularly safe tbh.

I also cant imagine that its a very comfortable way to travel any kind of significant distance. One thing scooting around a town/city, but Id not fancy travelling miles on country roads in bad weather on a scooter/moped. Each to their own I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

djimi wrote: »
    From a safety point of view Im not sure that I would be overly keen to drive a relatively slow moving vehicle like a moped on Irish country roads. Im probably being overly cautious, and it would depend on the type of road, but I just dont think its something that would make me feel particularly safe tbh.

I also cant imagine that its a very comfortable way to travel any kind of significant distance. One thing scooting around a town/city, but Id not fancy travelling miles on country roads in bad weather on a scooter/moped. Each to their own I guess!

They can be faster than many of the vehicles you find on country roads but, yes, you are more exposed and vulnerable than just about everything else except a pedestrian, bicyclist, or horse rider. Other booby traps you need to be aware of include dogs (the kind that lie in wait then jump out at you), loose sheep/cattle, loose gravel especially on bends, clay/slurry on roads and torrents of rainwater running off fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

slimjimmc wrote: »
    They can be faster than many of the vehicles you find on country roads but, yes, you are more exposed and vulnerable than just about everything else except a pedestrian, bicyclist, or horse rider. Other booby traps you need to be aware of include dogs (the kind that lie in wait then jump out at you), loose sheep/cattle, loose gravel especially on bends, clay/slurry on roads and torrents of rainwater running off fields.

The only thing a moped can be quicker than are pedestrians and tractors. Mopeds have to < 49cc and can't exceed 45km/h.

People in this country mix up scooters/step throughs (which can be any size) with mopeds (which can be any style).

OP if you live on rural roads I'd not advise a moped, but the 150cc+ scooters would be fine. What licence have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Brilliant for cities. I owned a motorcycle but it was only 50 euro extra to insure a second bike so I kept the scooter for handy quick runs to the shops, gym, etc.

Lots of people with motorbikes may also keep a scooter too.

But you OP live in the countryside and it's just not the same at all and totally unsuited for it.

Look into a motorcycle like a Honda Varadero 125cc.

50cc just won't cut it in the sticks. Wait until you hit a hill and it has to drag your good self of 60kg + and your backpack up that hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Owned a 50cc scooter back in the day when I lived at home. I lived in the country and found it very handy for getting in and out to town. I had mine unrestricted (not that I would recommend it, just saying...) so it could get up to 50mph so it wasn't too bad for keeping up with traffic.

Like any 2 wheeled vehicle you are quite exposed to hazards on the road- gusts of wind coming through gates etc. can move you about, artics passing can suck you in a bit, loose gravel is your mortal enemy...

I really enjoyed owning one though. I'd imagine the Irish weather is what keeps people from taking them to their hearts here like they do in other european countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't recommend getting a motorcycle just because you live in a rural area, there are plenty of suitable scooters available that handle rural roads fine.
    Look at the Honda Innova 125i semi automatic, big wheels compared to the twist and go type, convenient step through frame, and very economical as well.
    Lots of these available secondhand for reasonable money.
    A Motorcycle is a lot different to a stepthrough as far as convenience and weather protection is concerned.
    Stepthroughs with a windscreen are very dry compared to an unfaired bike.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only thing a moped can be quicker than are pedestrians and tractors. Mopeds have to < 49cc and can't exceed 45km/h.

People in this country mix up scooters/step throughs (which can be any size) with mopeds (which can be any style).

OP if you live on rural roads I'd not advise a moped, but the 150cc+ scooters would be fine. What licence have you got?

At the moment I have a provisional car licence from when I took the theory test for a car. I heard you can drive a moped on a car licence, but now I also heard that they have change that and you have to do a seperate test for mopeds now?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I heard you can drive a moped on a car licence,

Ah that's gone since 2006, a long while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you can afford it get a old school moped, it'll look nicer imo.

2cicwhg.jpg

I'll stick this in the 2 wheel forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

biko wrote: »
    If you can afford it get a old school moped, it'll look nicer imo.

Problem is Practicality vs Style/Price
    Most older type scooters are phenomenally expensive compared to modern stuff and parts aren't as readily available compared to say Honda parts.
    Lambrettas while looking very cool are megabucks!
    Many of them aren't moped legal either being mostly over 50cc and 49kmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've had a brief go of a Honda 90 in the country. It's a bit slow and it dies going up big hills. I'm however 80kg so that may be something to do with it.

It would be grand in the city I would imagine. Bicycle would again be cheaper and quick enough vs the car aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Each to their own but I would much much prefer a 125cc.....and get some sort or respect!!!! :P:P

Joke! Dont go hitting the "report button" like mad eeejiiits!

Advertisement