Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just an American interested in Ireland

Options
  • 11-08-2013 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Greetings,
    I am a student and I have been to Ireland once. I did a brief study abroad and I really enjoyed myself in Ireland. I would like to connect with some people from Ireland but I am falling short on how. Does anyone have any good ways? I figured I would start here and say hello. Maybe start messaging and make some friends!

Lets start here, did you have a good day? I hope so. I am jealous of the beer that you guys have, it is of much finer quality then America has. I have yet to be able to find one of equal quality, have you visited America? If you have did you even like anything in here? I hardly do haha. Let's talk about it! :)

-Gregg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

GD37 wrote: »
    Greetings,
    I am a student and I have been to Ireland once. I did a brief study abroad and I really enjoyed myself in Ireland. I would like to connect with some people from Ireland but I am falling short on how. Does anyone have any good ways? I figured I would start here and say hello. Maybe start messaging and make some friends!

Lets start here, did you have a good day? I hope so. I am jealous of the beer that you guys have, it is of much finer quality then America has. I have yet to be able to find one of equal quality, have you visited America? If you have did you even like anything in here? I hardly do haha. Let's talk about it! :)

-Gregg

Beer in the US is much better than at home to be fair. The selection and variety is far superior to anything you'll find in an Irish pub, that's before we even factor in craft beers. You do realise the majority of people in Ireland drink muck like Miller, Coors light and Budweiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Also all the beer in the states has a much higher alcohol content, and you have blueberry beer on draught in loads of places!!! blueberry!! we do have nice guinness though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GD37

Haha that is crazy! Almost every beer I had there had a much richer taste. Everything I drink here tap or not is just dry and lifeless. I can't believe you guys would drink those with all those brews over there! :) Though I guess that is the difference of places raised. I mean there are a few interesting ones over here, overall though I was more pleased with the drinks served over there. haha! Also, the taverns I ate at had fantastic food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Where in America are you from?

I am located along the western mountain range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I think the standard "super market" beer is better in Ireland than in the US. But yeah there are so many small breweries and yummy things in the US.... or commercially, I like Samuel Adams.

Yeah the super market beer for sure. I don't know much because of the short time I spent in Ireland so please correct me but here there seems to be many more small brewers then over there. This being so there are more types to drink. THOUGH I still think the quality is better overseas haha! :)

Any favorites?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Yea a lot more microbrews and craft beers over here, although by all accounts it's starting to catch on more at home.

There's lot's of European beers available in bottles but on draft it's mostly big brand stuff Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Carlsberg, Heineken, Guinness, Smithwicks and then Bulmers. You can get all of that over here handy enough except for a good Guinness ;)

There's a few other threads here with people slating the US... or at least highlighting the good, the bad and the ugly.

Most of us are here because it offers us something we can't get at home (be it weather, relationships, work, money etc.) but I don't think very many are under the illusion that the US is some kind of utopia. I frequently miss many aspects of living in Ireland, but if and when I do go home I'll probably be that annoying bastard saying, 'you know in the US...'

Agreed, Interesting enough all of those sound fantastic right now. That does not surprise me, while I visited there was a woman who would not even take some change (she asked me for) because I was American.

That seems about the same as most people who move away. Haha, no one (i know at least) likes U.S. much. I am already that guy here! Except I do it about Ireland with my brief time there. I am always talking about how nice everyone was to me and how much better the alcohol was and etc etc. Haha.

Advertisement