Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental in the U.S.

Options
  • 11-08-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello!
    I'm travelling to America next year with a friend and want advise on the best car rental company to use. We intend to rent a car in Washington and drive to LA. We would have the car for 2 months.
    Any advise on the best priced car rental companies would be appreciated. We're a little weary on hidden costs as sometimes the online prices seem a little too good to be true compared to when we rent a car in Ireland.

All advice and previous experience greatly welcomed!

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

http://www.carhire3000.ie/

It is basically an agent for budget, dollar, alamo but I have found that the included insurance and mileage so much better than going straight to the source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I just checked this site for uk rental. And you are correct the excess cover does make it cheaper. Poss a BA on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

would you not be better to hire the car and switch cars when you move location (less chance of breaking down)

basically you drive washington to ??? leave that car there (same company) and hire another car.

then again - maybe you get a better deal on 2months hire

would you be better off buying a cheap secondhand car and driving that for the two months ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Every state has its own laws as regards car hire, insurance, tax etc.

Which means dropping off a car in a different state to where you rented it can (and probably will) incur an extra charge as the vehicle has to be transported back to were it came from before it can be rented again.

Something to bear in mind. You can shop around but the best thing is to just budget in the extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SCBER

Thanks tvc15, I got a really good price for on the recommended site.
    There is an extra cost for one way but even with that its good value.

Regarding buying a cheap car, with time being limited I dont know if buying, taxing and insuring a car would work out any cheaper then the quotes on carhire3000, though in saying that hopefully there's no extra hidden costs, though everything seems included on the cost breakdown.

Thanks all for your help and advise!

• Advertisement

SCBER wrote: »
    I dont know if buying, taxing and insuring a car would work out any cheaper

I've been told that its not allowed, in North Carolina anyway. if you are a visitor, you are only allowed to rent cars. Its a pity as I would have liked to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

That is insane. Why would you not be allowed to buy a car if you plan to bring it out of the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

That is insane. Why would you not be allowed to buy a car if you plan to bring it out of the state?

I think he's referring to the fact that in most states you cannot register a car as a non-resident of the state. If you can't register it then you can't insure it and therefore cannot drive it.

In fact I don't think they'll even let you transfer the title to your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Is an international driving license needed for the usa? I want to rent a car for a couple of days in vegas in october. I have a full irish....and got one of the credit card ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

goz83 wrote: »
    Is an international driving license needed for the usa? I want to rent a car for a couple of days in vegas in october. I have a full irish....and got one of the credit card ones.

No. An "international" licence is really just a translation for non English speaking countries so your Irish licence will be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement