Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passports for 15 month old twins

Options
  • 11-08-2013 10:24am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering when applying for a passport for 15 month olds do you have to include both parents passports when applying? It doesn't say its a requirement on the application forms but a friend mentioned it to me and its put a doubt in my mind. Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Just wondering when applying for a passport for 15 month olds do you have to include both parents passports when applying? It doesn't say its a requirement on the application forms but a friend mentioned it to me and its put a doubt in my mind. Thanks in Advance

No. I applied for my sons passport recently when he was only a few weeks and I didn't have to submit mine or my partners passport. I just had to submit my sons birth cert and it was returned when his passport arrived. We did have to show our passports as a form of photo Id to the Gaurds when getting the forms stamped. That was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Mine is being processed at the mo for my 3 month old - we sent just my passport with it as it said to include one. We did the same for my now 18 month old last year and did the same - my passport arrived back with her new one and her birth cert. we both had to show our passports to Garda when signing the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

I applied for my son's passport last week and had to include my birth cert, didn't have to include passports. i applied through passport express, not sure if there are different requirements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Thanks for the replies. As some did include there's i guess its best to take no chances and include but having looked through the forms again i can't see where its asked for :confused: Out of interest are they fairly good at getting the passports processed in the 10 working days as we are travelling in a months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Thanks for the replies. As some did include there's i guess its best to take no chances and include but having looked through the forms again i can't see where its asked for :confused: Out of interest are they fairly good at getting the passports processed in the 10 working days as we are travelling in a months time?

I sent my passport when applying for my sons but didn't send my husbands.
    I applied for a new passport for myself last week i think, and the woman in the post office told me it would be 10-12 working days as this I'd their peak time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

One parent's passport/Irish birth certificate has to be sent for the first passport application if the child is born after 1st Jan 2005. The law changed that year after a public referendum to say that a child born in Ireland does not automatically qualify for Irish citizenship on the basis of being born in the country, but rather on their parent's citizenship. So if neither parent was born in Ireland or has an Irish passport, the documentation requirements are different.

If you don't include it, you'll probably get a phonecall to verify your passport details.

You don't have to send the parent's passport for a renewal.

Source: http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=263

There are no processing delays at the moment in the Cork office so if everything is in order with the applications, they should be done in the ten working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I did not include my passport when applying for my sons passport, they returned the application with a little note asking me to send it my passport.

Since "The Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 2004" being born in Ireland does not automatically give one citizenship, so for persons born after this law came into effect, they must also supply proof of citizenship, normally showing a parent is a citizen is eneough, hence the requirement for a parents passport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Thanks for all the advice. Going to the garda today to get the forms signed and will include my passport with the applications when at the post office. I presume they will put the two applications in the same envelope?

Edit: Sent off the applications today and the guy in the post office did say a passport or birth cert was required from one parent.

Advertisement