Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice Icing.

Options
  • 11-08-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I've only recently tried some icing - disaster!!

Anyway I've picked up this recipe for Practice Icing from an American site:
    This recipe is NOT MEANT TO BE EATEN. Don’t. Ok, you can try it but I’m pretty sure you won’t like it.

1 c. shortening
    4 c. powdered sugar
    water
    Cream the shortening until….creamy. Add 3 tbs. water and mix until incorporated. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Once the sugar is in you can check the consistency, if it’s too thick add another tbs or so of water until it’s the consistency that you want.
    Can someoe put it into Irish ingredients/measurements.

Shorting I know to be somthing like margarine. Are we talking soft marg or something like Stork. Would lard do? Powder sugar I take to be icing sugar.

I'm asking the question because I just want to be sure and it is only required for practice purposes

Of course feel free to share your Practice Icing recipe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Shortening is lard or a vegetarian equivalent. Powdered sugar is icing sugar. The quantities are a 1:4 ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

If you want to practice doing swirls or something instant mashed potato is a very good medium for practicing, let it go cold obviously, you can add extra water to get it to correct consistency and just scoop it up and use it again and again. Cheap option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

I've heard of instant mash before, haven't tried it though

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Shortening is lard or a vegetarian equivalent. Powdered sugar is icing sugar. The quantities are a 1:4 ratio.
    will give that a go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

Well I wouldn't eat instant mash :) but it is a handy cheap tool for teaching people how to use a piping bag. Make sure to make it according to the instructions though with hot water and then let it cool, you can't make it with cold water. Used a lot in catering for decorative purposes like around the edges of scallop shells for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement