Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the 'Promote' option under a FB post mean?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to learn about how Facebook can work for businesses. I have a few questions if anyone is able to answer them that would be great.

1) What does the 'Promote' option do as opposed to just 'sharing' a post in the 'likers' timeline?

2) Once I have 'invited' all my friends to 'like' the page, am I able to 'invite' them a second time or can you only do this once?

3) If I create a 'competition post' (share and be in with a chance to win etc) how to I 'share' it more than once? (I know from seeing these posts in my own timeline that they can be shared by the business themselves at least once a day, sometimes more but I don't know if I share the same post again or should I keep uploading it as a new post each time).

4) How do I get 'my friends' to 'invite' their friends to the page?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Getting likes on the page should be organic. On a "share to win" post from experience you'll only get about 1% of the impressions liking your page, and about 10% of impressions "sharing to win".

From a page I ran, the share to win post got 390,000 views, 3,000 shares, 3,850 likes on the post. This was posted ONCE and not re-shared daily or anything.

You shouldn't want to re-share daily to the people who have liked your page, because they've well, already liked your page. So they're not your target audience to see the post anymore, since this post is serving only to find new likers on your page.

Remember though, 10,000 likes on your page may be of no use if they were simply gained by giving away free iphones or cash etc etc. It's important that you are gaining likes from your target audience instead of simply everyone who wants free things over facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Getting likes on the page should be organic. On a "share to win" post from experience you'll only get about 1% of the impressions liking your page, and about 10% of impressions "sharing to win".

From a page I ran, the share to win post got 390,000 views, 3,000 shares, 3,850 likes on the post. This was posted ONCE and not re-shared daily or anything.

You shouldn't want to re-share daily to the people who have liked your page, because they've well, already liked your page. So they're not your target audience to see the post anymore, since this post is serving only to find new likers on your page.

Remember though, 10,000 likes on your page may be of no use if they were simply gained by giving away free iphones or cash etc etc. It's important that you are gaining likes from your target audience instead of simply everyone who wants free things over facebook.

I know, it's not actually my page, I'm asking on behalf of someone else who doesn't have much knowledge of Facebook but who has created an excellent website. It as launched on Friday and although it has had nearly 50 likes so far, it has slowed down and this is because he has 'invited' as him friends and we have all 'shared' it and now it's a case of 'what to do next'.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

1) What does the 'Promote' option do as opposed to just 'sharing' a post in the 'likers' timeline?
    Promoted posts have a better chance of showing up higher on the likers news feed.

2) Once I have 'invited' all my friends to 'like' the page, am I able to 'invite' them a second time or can you only do this once?
    I'm really not sure as that's something I'd never even consider doing. If you've already invited them once, don't invite them a second time even if you can. If you (or the page owner) start doing things like that it will result in a loss of friends rather than an increase in likes.
    3) If I create a 'competition post' (share and be in with a chance to win etc) how to I 'share' it more than once? (I know from seeing these posts in my own timeline that they can be shared by the business themselves at least once a day, sometimes more but I don't know if I share the same post again or should I keep uploading it as a new post each time).
    Firstly, this is against the Facebook terms and conditions and can/could lead to the page getting shut down for breaching the rules. Having said that, we all know how many pages do it and get away with it so if you wish to do it knowing the risks then fair enough.

Whether you're sharing the same post more than once or multiple posts a number of times, it's a horrid experience for those that are following your page. Really, think about if you had a page doing things like this in your own news feed. You'd unlike them instantly (or potentially just block all of their updates from showing if it was a friends site and you didn't want to hurt their feelings) and shake your head at how bad the promotion of their business was. This would also lead you to question how good they were at the other aspects of their business, hurting it on multiple levels. Again, just don't do it.

4) How do I get 'my friends' to 'invite' their friends to the page?
    Have a really good page that people want to share with others. You can't 'get' them to do it, you can simply provide a page/site/business that others want to share. From the questions asked before this I can say honestly that there's no way I would like the page myself, never mind consider sharing it with others.

Think about what the page can do that would provide value for the market they're trying to attract. What information and content can they put up that will save people money, save people time, give them something of value that they can't get elsewhere. Earning likes/fans isn't about which button you click on the platform or how often you click it, it's about giving people a reason to want to follow you and a reason to want to share your page with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Promoting a post = paying Facebook money so they show it to more people.

Really, if the page was only launched on Friday and already has 50 likes, then it's doing well in my book.

Assuming he's put a link to F/B page on the website, he should now concentrate on getting organic links (and thus visitors) for the website - some of these will convert.

Advertisement