Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War of Independence medal group split!

Options
  • 11-08-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I haven't seen a medal group like this split in a while, must be a sign of a pick up in the economy! These medals were part of lot 550 in the recent Gathering sale in Mealys. The lot sold for €1,100 plus fees.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231028533279?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The lot included these pair of medals, a 26th Btn Emergency medal plus minature , a War of Independence Service Cert, his bible, wallet and other bits and pieces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I think it's terrible to split a lot which really should be kept together. Very unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Obviously the entire group was initially purchased to be split up and sold at a profit, the seller has no interest in the history behind these items or any respect for the old soldier who they were awarded to.
    I think it's an absolute disgrace to split them.

Once the medals and cert and any other bits of value are gone, will the wallet and bible get thrown in the bin? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Lots of things annoy me about this;
    The split up of the group first of all
    Outbidding other people (me included) at the original sale who would have kept the items together
    The way its been split up; why put the Emergency Cert with the War of Independence medals?
    The error in the eBay listing; the medal is engraved for the 4th Btn not the 6th!
    I could go on and on but its late and I'm tired.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Split up to make a quick buck, unfortunate but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

We should all send him a message letting him know how we feel, we do it on the BMF and sometimes prevent splits.
    Rergards,
    KK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I asked him what happened to the rest of the group and will he be selling it.

His Reply.
    It should have been listed as the complete
    collection but unfortunately part of same
    went missing and was only rediscovered and
    returned to me after this listing.

The remainder of the collection will be sold
    as one lot and I had thought
    to give first refusal to the winner of this Auction.

The only difference/correction to the Auctioneers
    description is that there are 3 and not 4 variant
    certs, 1 of which is included in the current listing.

Hope above assists.
    Thanks for your interest and regards

Advertisement