Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introducing kittens to each other

• 11-08-2013 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

I have a four month old girl kitten that I got when she was nine weeks old and now we've decided to adopt another. The new kitten is about thirteen weeks old and I'll be collecting her Wednesday. What's the best way to introduce them? Is there anything I can do to try help them get along? I've already bought new kitten her own food bowls bed and litter tray. Is there anything else I need to know about expanding from one to two cats? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You've got age on your side with both of them being so young. Let your new kitten explore the house first as that'll be overwhelming enough.There'll be so many new sights and smells,i think wait a few hours, even the next day before introducing your current kitten.

There probably will be initial hissing,spitting and tufted hair but if you introduce inclusive play that should break some ice. Kittens are easily distracted :D It should take no more than a few days for them to be ok with each other I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I would say, if there is any hissing or disagreements, leave them to work it out amongst themselves. They're unlikely to do much beyond a few spits and raised paws at that age, but they will need to sort out who is boss (there's always one :) ).

Advertisement