Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a Tortoise

Options
  • 11-08-2013 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello there.
    I have been thinking about getting a tortoise as a pet. I have read alot about them.
    I only wonder how much electricty (a month) would the heating cost?
    Would be grateful for some answers.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP, have moved your thread to this section as all the Terrarium experts are in here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Try the Tortoise trust site, it's the best resource I have used in the past.

Tortoises are high maintenance pets to keep. I wouldn't take one on without doing the research.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Waifly

Thanks!
    Do you have a tortoise yourself?
    Do you know how much the energy cost (heat and UV lamp) I will have extra per month?

Waifly wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Do you have a tortoise yourself?
    Do you know how much the energy cost (heat and UV lamp) I will have extra per month?

I had two of them for a few years. Not sure about energy costs, I used a combined UVB headlamp heater so I was killing two birds with one stone.
    The UVB has to be changed every 9 months depending on the make of course.
    Then there's hibernation, and if anyone tells you they don't need to be hibernated they are lying, unless you get a species that doesn't need to be hibernated.
    You will get far more information from the link I provided above, just pay huge attention to diet, and housing.

My setup is in post number 6 on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82234544#post82234544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

tallus wrote: »
    Then there's hibernation, and if anyone tells you they don't need to be hibernated they are lying, unless you get a species that doesn't need to be hibernated.

Do you know what breed does not need to hibernate?

scwazrh wrote: »

Not off hand no. Maybe some of the desert species ?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

scwazrh wrote: »

some tortoises hibernate in the wild. this is because temperatures get too low for them to survive without it. If you get a tortoise that hibernates in its natural environment then it is recommended that you carry out the same function, however it needs to be done very carefully and controlled.
    species that do hibernate are; Hermanns, Spur-thighed, Marginated, Horsfield.

if you are looking for tortoises that dont hibernate in the wild then you are looking at species such as Redfoot tortoise,Yellow foot tortoise, Leopard tortoise, Hingeback tortoises. these tortoises do not hibernate and require heat and light all year round. they do require higher temperatures that the species that do hibernate even in summer.

Advertisement