Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA to USB or IDE?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Has anybody used USB to SATA converters? Do they work well?

I'm thinking of getting one for my old filestorage so I can add a second SATA disk. Sadly it only has one SATA port, 2 IDE ports and an internal USB port.

I don't think I can change the MB unless someone knows of a motherboard that would go in this : http://www.msi.com/product/desktop/MEGA-PC-865-PRO.html

thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,312 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The form factor is called Micro ATX, or simply mATX. Well it could also be ITX, it doesnt specify

They also have thousands of cases out there to fit such small motherboards and produce such small boxes. This example for instace,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFDqI2xbTtgnAG_G1UZTjUduoe3eaC16l-EtVXTXK0rO_RMqgg

031010_spider_1.jpg

Standard micro boxes are just everything you need for a HTPC box

XQPACKNWAL42004.jpg

You might want to find one that supports lots of drives though if its meant to be a file storage can though.

This ITX unit here looks to sport room for up to six maybe even 8 storage drives:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q08/

PC-Q08-01.pngPC-Q08-03.png

Of course you can probably just reuse the case you have, if the display and dials still work well thats a neat little box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The board does have a PCI slot, why not add a PCI SATA controller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Thanks guys, I had a look at it and didn't think it was a standard form factor. May have to rethink the plans so.

Advertisement