Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22-250 Reloading Brass

Options
  • 11-08-2013 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all just looking some information regarding reloading in the south of Ireland. Are you allowed to reload in the south of Ireland? I'm from the north of Ireland and am allowed to reload. The reason I am asking is that I would possiably be interested in buying some .22-250 brass.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are you allowed to reload in the south of Ireland?
    Short answer no.

Long answer yes under some seriously restrictive conditions, and not at home.
    I'm from the north of Ireland and am allowed to reload. The reason I am asking is that I would possiably be interested in buying some .22-250 brass.
    Tannyoky, McCloys, Anderson, Monteith, etc. all carry reloading supplies. No dealer in the south would carry any line as there is no demand for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ibody slamrhinos

Yea. I would deal with Tannyoky. But I was maybe after some brass from shooters in the south who shoot and have no use for the used brass, maybe get it cheap if someone has some lying about and has no use for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Short answer no.

Long answer yes under some seriously restrictive conditions, and not at home.

Only in Ireland could you get a response like that to the question "is reloading legal":pac::pac::pac::pac:

Kinzig wrote: »
    Only in Ireland could you get a response like that to the question "is reloading legal":pac::pac::pac::pac:
    It's a mess, and frankly i'm blue in the face explaining the ins and outs of it. The pilot scheme in the midlands is the only reloading legally allowed. People are saying it can be done or gotten on an individual basis if you follow the existing laws. No one has, so the midlands remain the only place to do it.
    But I was maybe after some brass from shooters in the south who shoot and have no use for the used brass, .........
    How do you plan to get it to the North. Each empty piece of brass is classed as a live round. So to get it up to the North the person would need to apply for an export permit and follow the procedure. You coming down to collect would not work as you would need a Southern license or visitor's permit, and still need a export permit to bring it across the border.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

Cass wrote: »
    How do you plan to get it to the North. Each empty piece of brass is classed as a live round. So to get it up to the North the person would need to apply for an export permit and follow the procedure. You coming down to collect would not work as you would need a Southern license or visitor's permit, and still need a export permit to bring it across the border.

I appreciate that what you say is 100% correct but Jesus isn't that the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard, especially when you consider that you can drive up North, buy brass and drive home with it in the boot.

• Advertisement

MarkWolff wrote: »
    I appreciate that what you say is 100% correct but Jesus isn't that the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard,
    From your lips to God's ears.
    especially when you consider that you can drive up North, buy brass and drive home with it in the boot.
    You'd need an import for that too.

It's ridiculous, but it's the law. When you look at the necessities for reloading here, compared to anywhere else in the world, does the brass thing surprise many of ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ibody slamrhinos

Cass wrote: »
    It's a mess, and frankly i'm blue in the face explaining the ins and outs of it. The pilot scheme in the midlands is the only reloading legally allowed. People are saying it can be done or gotten on an individual basis if you follow the existing laws. No one has, so the midlands remain the only place to do it.

I didn't think the brass was still considered as a live round. I would have thought when fired it was just a piece of brass. So no chance of me getting some cheap brass.

I didn't think the brass was still considered as a live round. I would have thought when fired it was just a piece of brass.
    Nope. The joy of Irish law. Fired or unfired it's classed as a live round.

I reload under the pilot scheme in the midlands. So when i was getting my rifle license i made sure i had enough ammo allowance to account for the bullets, empty bras and live rounds. Just to stay legal. Hence the reason i had 1,500 allowance for my .308.
    So no chance of me getting some cheap brass.
    You can buy the brass off lads, and they can send ti to you. I was just making sure everyone understood that it cannot simply be mailed to you. It needs an export license on the sellers end, which is free, and then they can send it. You coming down to collect would be much more awkward but still doable. needing a visitor's permit, the import/export paperwork, etc. Once you get back over the border you're golden, but on this side you need all the necessary paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

In midlands you can only reload target ammo is that right. No reloading of hunting rounds.

By the way is it much cheaper with hastle and all.

In midlands you can only reload target ammo is that right. No reloading of hunting rounds.
    Correct.

The reloading is for the F-Class lads only. This covers, F-Class, Match, TR, BR, etc. So not only do you need to be a member but you can only reload if you shoot some form of long range rifle. Absolutely no hunting stuff.
    By the way is it much cheaper with hastle and all.
    Yes and no.

Yes it is cheaper to reload, but not initially. I know lads will say reloading gear can be gotten fro as little as €300, but realistically that gear is adequate for hunting ammo where it's minute of bunny. For precision target work you need the best gear which is not cheap. So for a good (not even the best quality) press, dies, scales, thrower, and the multitude of accessories you are looking at a minimum of €1,000. Then add the cost of the propellant, bullets, and cases, and you're initial costs are somewhere in the €1,250 region (however i've seen gear that has cost in excess of €6,000). You'll get around 100 rounds with your first batch of components so your cost per round is €12.50. Reusing the cases, and with some components left over (plus buying more) you have now footed out another €140. So your next 100 rounds cost €1.40. With enough propellant & cases, and only needing to buy bullets you next 100 rounds cost €0.60.

Depending on the lifespan of your cases, and the frequency with which you shoot you pay an average of €1 per bullet. As above this goes up and down depending on what components you need to buy.

Once you have all the gear, and tools the battle has only begun. I'm not discussing hunting as it's irrelevant (due to not being able to load for them). The target stuff takes an age to get right. Between testing, trial & error, good batches, bad batches, etc you can use up to 500 rounds just getting the perfect load. Of course even using the same propellant each batch can be different, and you may find your next rounds are slightly different. The reloading process is time consuming. I've spent hours, and days on the range trying, testing, re-doing, chronographing, ladder testing, etc. That is not even taking into account the brass prep time. Loading and seating the bullet is the quick part. Cleaning, measuring, necking, sizing, trimming, annealing the brass is seriously time consuming, and vital. Poor brass prep will ruin a previously perfect load.

The actual shooting part only took up a small amount of my time. The reloading is where i spent 90%+ of my time. The funny part is what you save on costs is not actually a saving. You pump it back into the reloading so in essence it's not about saving money, but getting a little more for your buck.

In terms of hunting. Between initial set up costs, and costs for components if reloading were allowed for it i'd have to think if i'd go for it. There is no doubt about the benefits of reloaded ammo, but even trying to half arse it, there are certain things you need to do to get a good load/round, and it takes time, effort, and patience. Cut corners in terms of brass prep, safe loads, etc. and it could end in disaster. Do it right, and it'll cost a pretty penny before you are seeing a saving. I;d estimate if it were in you'd need to be shooting a year for it to pay for itself, and even then you're saving, at best, between €0.60 - €1 per round. So over the course of a year with an average shooter using approx. 200 rounds (foxes and deer) you're looking at a saving of €100. That is for larger caliber such as .308. For smaller caliber where ammo can be gotten for as little as €13 per 20 the reloaded stuff is no cheaper.

Last thing i'll say is through all this don't forget the time issue. Cost is mostly measured in components, and gear. However there are hours of work each time that are needed. So kiss goodbye to at least one or two evening every week. The one week you don't feel like doing it, you don't have ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Oh god sounds like a hell of alot of work alright.

Not for me anyway I'd say.

Advertisement